Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3D scanner/CT scanner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3D scanner/CT scanner
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 1:14pm
Thinking about reverse engineering a Newgren Valve. I've been talking to another member on the site about scanning and then 3 D printing the valve. I also found a shop in Ohio that CT scans parts and then developers the data into a program to recreate the part including all the internal passages ,that can then be 3D printed in wax to cast using the lost wax process. Then unfortunate part is they charge $200/hr. Anybody got one of these setting idle at work and could get some free time on it? I've got a Newgren Valve stripped down ready for scanning.Kev
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2017 at 3:08pm
You might try your local library. Or if the Re-Union is ever in Hudson, Ohio again, the Akron Public Library has a 3D scanner and printer. Scanning is free, but printing is $1 per hour..
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 1:13pm
let me do some more asking around here as no one ever got back to me on my first request. What I was told is that there is a difference in scanners. For instance, we have a place in our library here on campus that can scan things, but it's like the difference between a cell phone camera and a professional camera. The library scanner might work, but it's not going to be nearly as good as the industrial scanner.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 11:12pm
I would be happy to contribute to this effort, whatever it takes; money, time or effort, in return for a stake in the end result! Thanks for the initiative guys.

Q
 Post Reply Post Reply