Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ2A #69750
    Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 4:05pm
Well, it's feeling like it's time Smile

The bulk of my ownership to date has been acquisition, documentation, maintenance checks and fluid changes...  things are creeping along of a sort, and I figured I'd start to document the process.

(Backstory---> here )

My starting point:
1946 2A #69750, built right about halloween of 46.  Mostly stock, some previous body work that'll work for now, the original engine apparently long gone and a Kaiser supersonic block and head in it's place.  Near as I can tell, all the 2A style bolt-ons were swapped onto the bare block.  It's been swapped to 12v when the wiring harness was replaced, but all the 6v stuff (bulbs too!) came with it should I decide to revert.  Already a driver, needs a little TLC.  Springs all four corners are hurting
Note the reverse arch in this front spring (and I have to get after that fender brace as well)
found some springs, lol..
Transmission felt good on my test drive, but has the decel second gear pop out.. so I sourced this:
(just happens to have an assembly date a week after I believe the jeep was numbered)
and we're well on the way back... the current plan is a "quick" swap, and to rebuild the original if the dates on that look original...
It's supposed to be frigidly cold this weekend, sounds like a good time to stuff all the new guts back in this case, in a nice warm basement  LOL.  The rolling frame has been dismantled, the frame moved on, and the "new" springs set for a good disassembly/cleaning/reassembly/paint/swap.

Not so much a project, yet, but wanted a place to document over time... it goes by so fast Wink

Edited by mbullism - 12 Feb. 2016 at 4:17pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2016 at 4:51pm
So as I've been going along, I'm trying to clean/paint and re-gasket things.  Wire brushing treads, chasing threads with taps, paint stripper, degrease, primer and paint of the few places I've been to date gives me a new found respect for folks that go frame off over years... seriously.
Part of reversing 70 years is looking in places ya normally wouldn't go Shocked
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2016 at 1:54am
I'm going to be following this with interest.  My 2A is #64462 and had to have been built just a little before yours. (A month maybe?). The condition of your 2A body puts mine to shame. While I don't have a lot of rust, there are dings and folds and bondo everywhere. Unfortunately, I can never restore mine to original because it has an M-38 frame under it. I put it in the garage 20 years ago and walked around it all that time figuring I would get around to working on a few critical problems (steering, brakes, electrical...) one of these days.  Just started in January to get Ol' Red back on the road. I have the body off the frame and have rebuilt the steering box and am currently going through the brakes.

The plate on my dash was brass by the way...

...and following your old history on the link you gave I notice you have three fine looking helpers to help you!  Good luck with your restoration. I'll be looking over your shoulder...if you don't mind that is!

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2016 at 3:12am
Don't mind at all, SEK... Your brass tag, is it all brass showing as mine appears, or is it painted black with just the raised letters the brass showing through?  I have a feeling mine may have been cleaned aggressively in the past, removing any paint.  

My frame horns have been "reinforced", the tag long gone, so I'm not even sure the frame in mine is original (keeping in mind I know the engine isnt).  The passenger side rocker has been re-skun, the rear panels replaced and the hat channels and floors pieced back together.... this list goes on, lol, and I don't care Wink

I used the logic in this thread to estimate build date:

so starting at #63585 at service bulletin 795 effective 10/7/46 and figuring 175/day, #64462 looks to be around 10/12/46 or so, so that's only a couple weeks apart ;)
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2016 at 6:16pm
Well, I had the build date on #64462 at around 1st of October so it couldn't be too far off. I'll split the difference and celebrate Ol' Red's birthday on the 5th of October 1946.

The all brass dashplate was originally brass lettering showing through a black background.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with body repairs and frame repairs.

My M-38 frame is in very good shape with only some surface rust in a few places. I am getting ready to clean it up and repaint it in the vicinity of the master cylinder where brake fluid has leaked on it. I will install a new master cylinder and clutch linkage parts before I put the tub back on. The frame won't be original, but most people wouldn't know the difference anyway and I doubt I could come up with an original frame anyway. Oh well, it's not like I'm entering it in a Concours contest; Ol' Red is for driving...Cool

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2016 at 3:30am
So the NOS cluster gear I found didn't have index slots for the thrust washer...  
fortunately they shipped separately and all I had to do was install them LOL
all loaded up
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 12:26am
So today was warm enough to spend time in the garage, continuing on with fluids and gaskets... I continue to be happy with what I find...

Disassembly of my donor springs...
cleaning and reassembly starts tomorrow-

Edited by mbullism - 21 Feb. 2016 at 12:32am
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 1:29am
I like that cluster gear mod...where there is a will there is a way...Thumbs Up

Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2016 at 3:48am
that oil slinger, on the T90 transmission that gets sandwiched behind the transfer case drive gear…… I never seen this on any of mine :S  oh oooooo.
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2016 at 9:35pm
So over the weekend I cleaned up two springs leaf by leaf... suckage work, lol.

also picked up some new sheet metal for the back Wink

Edited by mbullism - 24 Feb. 2016 at 12:49am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2016 at 7:07pm
Continued progress, though very little to see... the most important development is the first engine start since I drove off the trailer and into the garage last fall, early October.  Chased down some bad grounds, worked around a now dead battery and months old gasoline.  You can't tell in the photo but it's happily idling away Thumbs Up

Let it come up to temp, watching oil pressure like a hawk, lol... then a couple of spins around the ponderosa.  Well as much of a spin as one can have on two acres LOL.  It was getting late on Sunday afternoon, temps in the low 60's... grabbed the wife and headed out.  First flight was a solid 13-15miles, loops never getting more than a couple miles from home...  went better than a first trip had a right to.  Identified a few new rattles to address...  Grin still on my face as I type this here Tuesday.

Springs and tranny swap still on the horizon, going to focus on the wiper motor and parking brake first and get past the state inspection.   Engine is running well, but plans are to continue on through checking valve adjustments, timing, dwell, etc, etc...

Edited by mbullism - 15 Mar. 2016 at 7:11pm
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2016 at 12:53am
Sweet plates.
Glad the test drives went so well
Great job thanks for sharing
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2016 at 7:52pm
been a little remiss with the camera as of late... I've resurrected the vacuum wiper and it works bomb.  The parking brake turned into more of a thing than I had planned, but we're working now, and quite well actually.  One little adjustment to take a little slack out of one tie rod at the bell crank and saturday I think I'll finally go after that inspection sticker- cuz sunday I'm gonna put a tank full of gas through this thing if I have to stay in RI and CT to do it LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2016 at 4:20pm
Scored the Kings permission this morning Thumbs Up
markcl52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcl52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 1:08pm
I need to get my parking brake working and then I'm hoping to get an inspection sticker too. Was there anything they gave you a hard time on? There are several things for me that could go either way depending on how much of a stickler the inspector is.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

I need to get my parking brake working and then I'm hoping to get an inspection sticker too. Was there anything they gave you a hard time on? There are several things for me that could go either way depending on how much of a stickler the inspector is.

where in mass are you?     With these willys in mass, a  lot depends on the inspection station you go to.  I had been going to one for years, the owners son always did the inspection and never had any issues.  last year I pull in and while im  inside paying, I see the owner out there looking over the willys.  

I go out and he says if im here for an inspection,   he will have to fail it.  When I ask why, he rattles off a half dozen reasons, of which only one applied, maybe.    Like seat belt, license plate light etc.  I try to explain this to him,  but he just said no, walked away.     And he knows I come there every year, have been a custom for years.  didn't care.  At least he told me BEFORE he failed it.

I asked around and found the hot rod friendly shop in town.  Its a full shop that specialize in custom exhausts.   Took it to them,  they stickered it no questions asked.   They spent more time checking it out than they did doing the inspection.  

find any place in your town that does custom car hotrod stuff.  IF they don't do inspections ask them who you should go to.  They will know! 
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by markcl52 markcl52 wrote:

I basically picked a mom and pop type mechanic shop that's been around for years (versus a big chain type) ....

When I pulled up there were three guys out front, one asked if I needed a sticker (yes, lol), the other said they would have to take it for a test drive LOLWink... I felt I was in good hands, so I asked if they were gonna have any issues with factory equipment, cuz it aint got none.  They all laughed, and it devolved into 20 minutes of talking Willys, mine and a couple others they'd worked on...or towed, lol. I'm glad i got the wiper, the horn, the headlights, the parking brake, etc., etc. etc. all in tip top shape... in the end he jacked the front and checked the king pins.  That was basically it.

They never did get their test drive Wink

I honestly thought they might give me grief about the NDTs, factory or not.  Would have meant schlepping home to throw my white spoke wranglers on, but I'm guessing they knew I was just gonna switch 'em back-
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2016 at 6:06pm
Ok, so this is a first for me, lol.

While bleeding the brakes I took note that the cotter pins were missing, top and bottom, on the drivers side rear shock absorber... but the washers are both there.  Upon closer inspection, it appears the shock bushings were too wide to get the pins in...  the OBVIOUS fix to all but the most uneducated was to hold the washer on by mushrooming the end of the mount with a ball peen hammer.

Bubba is nothing if not surprising.

Stupid Bubba.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>