Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 6:48pm
I like the idea of the cover on the T-90 to keep the odds and ends nuts, bolts, washers, etc. out of the gears while it is being rebuilt and/or installed.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I like the idea of the cover on the T-90 to keep the odds and ends nuts, bolts, washers, etc. out of the gears while it is being rebuilt and/or installed.

Needed a place to put my beer, and it kept tipping without the plexi LOL

O.k.-  On the way back.  Have an intake (Thank you, Nofender..pleasure to meet you  :) )  Going to match it up with either the exhaust manny from the supersonic, or the one from the genset.  The one from the supersonic, in the pic above, appears to have been "skinned" with what I'm assuming is JB weld, or similar...I'm assuming rust pock marks, but who knows?  The plan is to separate and clean up both, give them a solid soak in "the works", and re assess...

Snowing pretty solid out now, going to paint some more TC parts.... it's warm downstairs  ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 5:46pm
(in my best Scarlet O'hara upper crust southern accent...)  I have always relied on the kindness of ....Jeepers.  Thank you to nofender for hooking me up with an intake-

Four snapped, three tall enough to grab onto, one below the plane... 

So the first thing you want to do readying for removal is soak them dutifully for a week, then apply generous heat... and snap the tall ones off flush so they match the fourth Confused  (I did manage to get one of the three out eventually, leaving three to drill)

But in the end we got them clear, tapped and cleaned up...

Currently similarly cleaning up an exhaust manifold to pair up, and will check it/them for fit.  Painted the intake with 1200*BBQ black flat (was all I had)... have since sourced some BBQ black semi gloss for the pair.

Baby steps Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 5:51am
Woody Allen used that line in "Sleeper", but I think it was Blanche DuBois who always depended on the kindness of Jeepers.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 3:37pm
Ok, so round two.  I don't have a "before" pic of the exhaust manifold, but picture something far crustier than the intake, lol.  I maybe spent 3 minutes with the wire wheel before the acid dip, but I really think it was less.  This had soaked three days, flipped daily cuz it wouldnt quite fully submerge.  The scum on top is a function of this one piece.
I had a 5 gal bucket of hot water to rinse, so "after"
the remnants that dont come off in the rinse are akin to a soft paste usually, and the wire wheel is overkill to remove it...this took about 3 seconds, lol...
and literally 3 minutes later (I moved to the downstairs workshop for the pics cuz the lighting is better) (also note what I think are cracks from the casting process from the corners of the riser box at the mating surface...they don't go all the way through, and the corner ears are structurally ok given what it took to separate this from its intake.  My concern is more that it's a built in stress riser so i'm contemplating if a repair attempt is in order, or if i run it and see if it breaks...aka if it aint broke...)
so i knew this wasn't headed to paint, the riser baffle is stuck so it needs soaking and an attempt this weekend to square away (and possibly the pipe flange stud)...sprayed it down with wd40 to stave off flash rust
the whole thing from bath to soaking the baffle shaft was maybe 15 minutes, and if not for the baffle it would have been in paint in 20-25.  Easy peasy.... and I f'g hate it, lol

Edited by mbullism - 20 Jan. 2017 at 3:39pm
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 7:03pm
Nice and clean! What do you use for your acid bath solution?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 7:38pm
The bath is "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner... read up on it here on the page, as well as elsewhere.  A search here oughtta turn up several threads.

From memory it's 20%+/- strength phosphoric acid, and it eats rust rather well.... think "naval jelly".  It's not kind to brass, pot metal, aluminum, hardened or high strength steels, etc. but mild steels and cast do well.

I've found it at dollar general, as well as Walmart on occasion.

ETA:

Edited by mbullism - 20 Jan. 2017 at 7:41pm
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 1:09am
Thanks - I'll do the search and get the details and full recipe. Looks like it works too good not to try.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2017 at 2:39am
If you have Dollar General Stores out there that's who carries it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2017 at 6:42pm
A little more time in yesterday afternoon... I've got two exhaust manifolds, one kinda ratty with a good riser baffle, and the clean one above with a frozen baffle.  Days in the acid and more with atf/acetone then heat wouldn't touch that foolish shaft, lol...
No way to get a cutoff wheel in there, drilled the shaft off both sides of the flapper, then cut the shaft off the outsides (and eventually centerpunched)
the shaft drilled clear through, the bushings were having no part of being driven out. Had to resort to relief cuts and driving a piece out with a sharp punch...what a biatch, lol
then cut the weld at the baffle, and drive the piece of shaft out...
All set, waiting on a package with the new bits... a couple photos doesnt do this justice... it was a 3 hour fight

Edited by mbullism - 26 Jan. 2017 at 4:34pm
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2017 at 10:17pm
Excellent work! Just found your thread, she's looking great!
CJ-2A 43883 [SOLD]
CJ-2A 104976 [SOLD]
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2017 at 1:35pm
So playin a little catchup here... more manifold madness, lol.  Bushings in the freezer, manifold in front of the heater...not-even-close Unhappy   Turns out the knurled OD on the bushings make great depth gauges as you remove material, lol.  A bolt, a couple flat washers and a nut "pressed" them in, which squashed the ID enough I had to unthread the bolt to get it out... no worries for damage to the bushing, the bolt was smaller than the shaft going in so I knew it was going to require ..."reaming".  I have a set of drill bits with cutting flutes, and this isn't exactly a high speed heavy load kinda bushing so I drilled to fit.  I did encounter the new shaft sticking a little, but it turned out it was the shaft where it was cut on the unslit end... a little sanding and steel wool solved that-
Dry run to test fit and check plumbing...
This weekend was supposed to be pulling the front clip and readying the existing stuff to come on out... yesterday was TWO campus visits, over 100 miles apart and miles from home.... this morning finds my unheated, uninsulated garage hovering around 22-23*F... thinking this is the day I've been waiting for to spend in the downstairs shop next to the woodstove assembling the TC... LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2017 at 6:47pm
Well... I've been threatening to do it for some time (waiting for the weather to drive me downstairs next to the woodstove, lol)

a quick masking to touch up the paint, and get the fasteners that weren't yet painted...
next stop, hanging it on the T90 currently on the stand...

Edited by mbullism - 13 Feb. 2017 at 2:15pm
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 12:39am
Sweet work!  Thanks for the updates and all the pictures ... I'm taking notes.  Also doing campus visits and thankfully just one daughter at home ... 

Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 2:14am
Nice job, those relief cuts look like "very tricky business". Couldn't help but notice the shift pin on the shift levers seems to be too far to the grease fitting side. Is that so the locking set screw fits the groove in the pin? like the replacement I bought? That's about the point I'm at right now, don't know whether to use or try another pin. Thanks Joe Wadoyado
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2017 at 3:15am
thanks, pilot... and enjoy the campus visits, lol... too soon old and all that ;)

W- ya, thats where the pin groove lined up.  I took this thing apart months ago and dont have a decent pic of "before"... I did think it stuck out a bit, but that's the way it fits... now you got me thinking
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2017 at 9:29pm
This got "real" today LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2017 at 12:00am
My inability to remove the sending unit for my period temperature gauge has been haunting me...really didn't want to lose this Cry

After almost six weeks off and on, soaking, tapping, mild heat for fear of over heating... tonight I was going to "freeze" spray the brass to see if I could crack it loose.  One last try with a pair of open end wrenches before spraying... and
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>