Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A hard crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BallinisShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ2A hard crank
    Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 6:05pm
I have this 1946 willys in the shop and just put a new head gasket in it. without plugs its a hard crank without plugs it turns right over. i have a brand new battery and starter.
ANY IDEAS??? 
BallinisCustome
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 6:28pm
6 volt? All battery and body/frame electrical, including ground, connections MUST be clean and bright for the 6 volt system to work.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 10:48pm
If it's 6 volt, you need battery cables twice the gauge of 12 volt cables. The smaller the cable, the more resistance. Make sure the floor or foot push starter button isn't shorting inside it. That too will rob you of current. The starter itself needs a clean commutator and good brush contact with strong brush springs. If the fields are leaking into the case some it will also slow it. re-wraping/insulating the fields can help. Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 10:57pm
Bushing in the bellhousing supporting the end of the starter shaft good!, a critical item!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 2:31am

You state "without plugs its a hard crank without plugs it turns right over" - not a typo??

Can you tell us a little more about this jeep.  Was it a running Jeep before the head gasket work?

Is this a chain drive engine or a timing gear engine.
If you put a ratchet on the crank pulley and turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out does it bind?
Does is sound odd?  - like a broken timing chain or delamented timing gear or something dragging?
Can you feel compression air coming out of each cylinder - are the valves opening and closing?

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 3:54am
If your distributor's centrifugal advance springs are weak, the distributor could be too far advanced to start easily; it will barely turn over from one cylinder to the next.  This is (one of) my problem(s) right now.  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
BallinisShop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BallinisShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 5:26pm
Im sorry it is a 6V system with a brand new battery and starter it cam in for a used motor swap. swaped the motor and had to replace the head gasket. after replaceing head gasket we are getting around to starting it. 
WITH the spark plugs in it cranks hard and WITHOUT plugs it turns right over. 
BallinisCustome
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 5:59pm
For 6V systems, I like to run my battery's ground cable to the starter's mounting bolt.... In my experience, this has provided a noticeable improvement in cranking.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by BallinisShop BallinisShop wrote:

Sounds like it has compression then.  I've never had a 6v starter that cranked an engine as fast as a 12v.  
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 7:30pm

Im sorry it is a 6V system with a brand new battery and starter it cam in for a used motor swap. swaped the motor and had to replace the head gasket. after replaceing head gasket we are getting around to starting it. 

Bolding mine.

Try this, with the plugs in, disconnect the coil wire from the distributor, now try cranking it. If it still cranks hard, there may be something wrong with the crankshaft, or the connecting rods.

If it cranks easy, look at your timing. This would include weak springs in the distributor.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 7:45pm
Distributor rotation is CCW. you do have the plug wires in the correct order?
Glen
49 CJ3A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 8:54pm
[QUOTE=Ol' Unreliable] If your distributor's centrifugal advance springs are weak, the distributor could be too far advanced to start easily; it will barely turn over from one cylinder to the next.  This is (one of) my problem(s) right now.  
[/QUOTEit

I tried to send you a PM but the system said it couldn't find you.
On another thread you mentioned Mile Nigh Jeep Rebuilders. I used to work there so I knew the Big Cat fairly well.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BallinisShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 1:40pm
I Believe i have the timing right. i have removed the starter button and am just jumping the wires and it seems to be cranking over alot better now. but not it just want to pop here and there. doesnt want to start. i have fuel spark and compression. not sure the spark is the strongest tho. what would it take to move it over to a 12v system
BallinisCustome
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 2:00pm
I would static time it and put in a new condenser and points made by Echlin. set the timing to 5 BTDC. then gap the points to .020, retard and then advance the distributor until you just see the beginning of a gap in the point set. lock it down. It should fire and be very close. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 4:15pm
Is your "pop" // backfire out of the carburetor or the tailpipe? 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BallinisShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 6:50pm
I dont know what it is but everytime i post on a forum of anytime as soon as i go back out to the shop. nothing in wrong. went back out there jumped in it pushed the button and she fired right up... smh. someones messing with me.

BallinisCustome
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2017 at 5:36pm

I dont know what it is but everytime i post on a forum of anytime as soon as i go back out to the shop. nothing in wrong. went back out there jumped in it pushed the button and she fired right up... smh. someones messing with me.

You just had to pay a small acknowledgement tribute to TheCJ2APage.com gods before they would allow your jeep to start up.  Be sure to post here weekly, perhaps every Sunday.  LOL
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Reply Post Reply