Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 cj2a valve train work in chassis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 cj2a valve train work in chassis
    Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 7:37pm
Posting a short video so y'all can hear the valve guide slop in this engine. The noise is just off idle to midrange rpms then quiets down to just above normal. This video was taken back in '16 before a brake redo. Now it's time to replace all the valve guides, springs, valve. Should quiet it down a bunch

This past week I removed the intake/exhaust manifolds and sent the carb to scoutpilot for repair. Today I removed the valve springs and valves for access to pulling the guides out.

Edited by jeeper50 - 28 Jan. 2018 at 9:58pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 7:48pm
Next two videos show valve stem wobble causing the valve train noise.

Gathering tooling for next step of project. guide removal

Edited by jeeper50 - 27 Jan. 2018 at 9:21pm

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2018 at 9:48pm
Thank you for starting this thread! Keep the videos & pictures coming! I am planing on replacing the valves, springs, and guides in my engine soon as well. Subscribed! 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 9:17pm
Today I began removing the valve guides as Rogers video shows, using all grade 5 hardware to pull with, the first three came right out. Then the threads on the nuts and all thread galled up and the tool shaft kept spinning with the top bolt. I was able to put a short socket on the bottom nut to keep the tooling from turning when I was turning the top nut. Got the next three out with more effort. I drove to my local fastenal and bought 6 more grade 5  3/8-24 nuts and used my 3/8-24 die to cleanup the threaded rod for the last two guides. Hmmm maybe I should have bought grade 8 tooling. Anyway my next trick is to remove the forward engine mounts and lower the front of the engine to allow the nbr 8 valve hole to move out enough from under the firewall lip to get my removal/ installation driver into that hole. 

Anyway here's a couple of videos showing guide removal

1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 9:51pm
Hey Jeeper50
Just watched your video, that look like you having fun with that project.
I'm trying to do some general work on mine before the weather get good round here.
Other than brakes, glass, leaks .... I would like to adjust my tappets (sp?) can you do that without
removing the intake and exhaust manifolds?

RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 1:17am
You can perform the adjustment without removing the manifolds.  It's probably easiest to remove the driver's side fender.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 28 Jan. 2018 at 1:19am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 3:45pm
Good info keep it coming! Im a little worried my valve guides are a little rusty. I hope I can get them out. 
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 5:02pm
 Woke up to heavy rain, so made a grocery run for the Mrs then back to work in the garage removing the last two guides. To gain access to the last guide for removal and installation I removed the old motor mounts and lowered the front of the engine to gain clearance from the firewall. Removed the guides 

Edited by jeeper50 - 28 Jan. 2018 at 5:07pm

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 12:21am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Good info keep it coming! Im a little worried my valve guides are a little rusty. I hope I can get them out. 

You should use some of your favorite penetrating fluid on them before you try to pull them. 
     Bet they will come out fine, half of mine came out with holding a wrench on the nut on the bottom of the tooling. Maybe need to step up to grade 8 tooling. I do suggest buying extra nuts, I replaced the first batch on the third guide, then again for the last two guides, also stacked up the nuts on the bottom to be able to keep the wrench on them as the guide pulled up into the block to keep the all thread from turning with the top nut.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 1:22pm
Picked up the valve guide tooling this morning...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 1:30pm
nice! is it custom or did you make  it?

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 4:51pm
I had a friend make it for me using Roger Siminoffs' drawing.  He asked that I post a link to his video so all can see how to use the tool.

Here is the drawing; be sure to follow manual dimensions for installing valve guides.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:32pm
Here's a copy of the manual reference

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 7:04pm
Saturday morn here and time to install guides, began with the exhaust  I used a 12ga bore cleaning brush to remove some carbon buildup left over from the removal. Hammer 1st one in to 1" below deck height  then moved on the others. all went in fine no issues. Then came the intakes hammered first one down to 1 5/16 below deck and the tool became stuck. Grabbed some plier and gave it a twist and it loosened up, removed tool to see where/way it bound up. It had bottomed out against the side of the port against the cast iron, added  (1)  3/8" washer before I installed next guide on tooling, other guides drove fine no issues. 

Unwrapped all valves and test fit them for clearances, all fit fine. Checked side play all within specs for intake and exhaust valves.  One note to add, install all intakes then move on to exhaust as the giude clearances are different and they look exactly the same. Exhaust valves have greater clearances for expansion from heat. 

Began hand lapping the valves. also noticed this block doesn't have hardened valve seats installed. will add lead subsitute to fuel for that.

Edited by jeeper50 - 03 Feb. 2018 at 10:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 8:40pm
great info...thanks again for documenting this. Did you mean the block does or does not have hardened seats?
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 10:52pm
It does not have the hardened seats. 

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 3:22am
Umm, jeeper50, your intake guides look a little high, I'm surprised you could even get the valves down to the seats, or was the picture taken before you drove them on in? The other thing is, umm, well, the valves in the L134 are not arranged I-E-I-E-I-E-I-E. They are E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E. Sorry.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 6:34pm
that was before they were driven, I will double check the positioning before processing, that makes sense with the manifolds thanks Bruce

Looks like I'll be backing up a bit to swap guides to their correct position, thanks Bruce for spotting that!
That's what happens when ya don't document positions properly when ya take stuff apart, I'm placing blame on the beer! 

Edited by jeeper50 - 04 Feb. 2018 at 6:56pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>