Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 6:37pm
Such a careful restoration, I'm impressed...keep up the good work.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 8:08pm
Its looking very smart, keep it up
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 3:42pm
Quick update....

I got the head off, which of course ruined the gasket that was on there. I spent 2 days cleaning all the old gasket material off both the head and the block! But at least it's done.

I snapped off (in the block) the stud that had stripped, which was a set back. However, I carefully centre drilled it with a 9.3mm drill bit, and was able to clean the thread from the remaining shreds of the stud, using the correct tap. I am getting good at this technique! So I now have a brand new stud sealed and inserted into the block. Very happy about that! 

Tonight I pick up the copper gasket I have located, and I should be set to get the head back on this engine!
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:07am
Big news!

After drilling out the stripped stud and getting the new one in, I sourced and cleaned up a new copper gasket for the head. I had to carefully file open some of the stud holes just a bit to get it to fit. Is this normal or is this a poorly cut gasket? 

In any case it cleaned up very nicely and I was able to drop it over the studs with a light coat of copper gasket sealer on each side.

Cleaned up:

And here it is on the block:

The head went on fine, and all torqued up to spec! Here I am ready to crank the engine:

... and guess what? It started first crank!!! Big smile

So happy! There was a pretty bad leak from the base of the thermostat housing, so I switched it off. Turns out I only ever tightened the bolts finger tight! Embarrassed Once that was tightened up I was able to re-start: no leaks, engine got up to temperature, oil pressure is steady at around 40psi, and it idles nicely. I now need to source a timing light and ideally a vacuum gauge and do some fine tuning of the timing!

But she starts, runs and idles nicely without any oil or water leaks, and that feels like a major step forward!

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:32am
That man deserves a Beer, well done
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Sarge 46 CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge 46 CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:09am
Congratulations Mike :)
1946 CJ2A, #16890
Cape Town
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:02pm
Throw the tub on and head for the Black Hills ! LOL, way to go and stay on target! The first thing that hit my mind was you need to re-torque the head . You wouldn't think it would need this, but it does. Is that gasket solid or ply'ed copper ? Looks solid. All the ply'd ones I've used have holes that do not need filing. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:24pm
Haha, now wouldn't that be nice to see you in the Black Hills John? Can you imagine shipping costs on a whole jeep? Dead

Yes, I will re-torque the head. And it is a solid copper gasket - I didn't realise you have ply'ed ones available in the States. This one must be at least 2mm thick. I was thinking about taking careful measurements and getting some laser/plasma cut here in South Africa, either as spares or to help out fellow Jeep nuts. That one cost me $82! I might post a question on the Tech Q&A page on whether it is special copper, or just "copper".

So my next step is to do just that - throw the tub on and get all clearance issues and wiring completed, then take it off for the last time and do the paint and bodywork. I hope to be driving the pre-paint version in "test mode" within the next month... Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 8:23am
So thanks to damar2yxr, another big parts shipment came in last week which contains all the little bits and pieces I know I need to complete this project! Plus some not so little parts, like an original steering wheel! It really felt like Christmas had come early... Here is the parts pack, expertly packed: 

Included were some NOS Trico wiper motor rebuild kits, so I now have another mini project waiting for me - to rebuild the vacuum wiper motor I have!

I spent a happy weekend installing bits and pieces, and by the end of Sunday my brakes were bled (new copper washers John!), steering gear installed, and steering wheel lightly tapped into place, although not yet fully seated.

Last night I took apart the temporary fuel line plumbing I had in place and installed the Carter ceramic element fuel filter. I like the glass bowl and the fact that the ceramic element is re-usable indefinitely - it just needs a good cleaning and flushing out at service time.

I originally had an "L" shaped line installed with a 90 deg bend, but I did a test fit with the fender and found it was just touching at the bend. So I ended up rotating the elbows on the pump and filter and just installing a straight line between the two. Clearance issue solved! Today I will make up the PCV valve line.

I also installed my clutch control tube and am happy to report that I have verified that all looks good through the inspection window - In gear the pressure plate holds the clutch disk against the flywheel as it should, and I can't roll the frame. I then pressed the clutch pedal by hand and for the first time the throwout bearing pressed against the release fingers, the pressure plate lifted off the disk, and even in gear I could roll the chassis. I could observe the friction disk turning inside the bellhousing as I rolled the chassis.

So all looks good so far!

I have sourced a vacuum gauge so I plan to set the engine timing, idle and mixture this weekend, and hopefully get this engine purring. Then it's a short hop to get the tub on, redo some of the temporary wiring, and head out for a shake down drive! Can't wait... Smile

Edited by JeepSaffer - 25 May 2017 at 8:31am
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:00am
where did you find the copper head gasket, I have heard they are the way to go for the go devil engines.
great ( I don't want to say work because its not work when you are doing something you love to do )
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 6:12am
I can imagine the ear to ear grin when the parts showed up. When I was 16 I worked at a Jeep repair place surrounded by around 3,000 square feet of oem parts and used parts. Looking back, I was in Jeep heaven and didn't know it.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 8:24am
Andy, I got the copper head gasket from the only place that sometimes has Jeep parts here in South Africa, which is is Pretoria, about 600km from where I live. I don't know where it was made originally. I can confirm that it is solid copper, not a copper ply material.

If I had picked it up myself, I would have asked all the questions regarding origin etc. But the guy that owns the parts store is famously difficult to deal with. He only deals over the counter (won't ship), so that would have meant a 1,200km round trip for me, just for a gasket! So I had a friend in Pretoria go and pick it up for me. Hence I didn't get to ask all my questions. I also got done in on the price. He told me $65 on the phone when I called to see if he had any, and then sold it to my friend for $90, take it or leave it. It would be nice to tell him to Censored off, but then I sit without a gasket. In the end you just pay. He has a monopoly, so there literally is nowhere else to go, unless you import from the USA. That's exactly why so many of my parts HAVE come from the USA. With only a handful of CJ2A's in the country, there is just no chance to set up a thriving alternative local parts supplier, although that's what we desperately need...

Anyway to cut a long story short, I know the major USA parts suppliers have them, although maybe not solid copper. Walcks for example         http://walcks4wd.com/copper-head-gasket-l-head-4-cy.html

I will be in Vancouver, Banff, Jasper and Yukon in June and July for an extended vacation. I might have withdrawal symptoms from not working on the Willys. Do you need any help on your rebuild? LOL
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 3:31pm
Hey Mike,
If you're coning as far as Canada, from Banff  it's only around 1100 miles or so  to Ft. Collins, Colorado where the Northern Colorado Mountain Run will be taking place July 19-23. I'm sure we could find you a seat.  Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Max View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:27pm
Congratulations, very nice project. I understand your challenges looking for CJ parts; I have similar issues finding them in Argentina. 

Max
CJ2A 110861
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:43am
Work or pleasure? that is a great trip to take , look up Columbia ice fields around Jasper.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 6:27am
Hi Shadow, happily it will be for pleasure.

We had straight for Whitehorse and paddle down the Yukon River for 6 days, taking out at Little Salmon River. Then back to Vancouver and we head out for Banff/Jasper area. We will be doing the Ice field Highway, and all that there is to see in the area, camping as we go. Included is a 3 day back country horse trail. We leave in 2 weeks now.... Can't wait!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 10:19am
Over the past weekend I got the tub on with the help of some buddies! This feels like a major achievement... The tub has not been on the frame for 18 months now, and has stood on it's tail in the garage for the last year since being repaired in April 2016 when new floor pans were installed and various body panels were replaced.

I was able to sit in the drivers seat for the first time in a long time! It felt good Smile

Unfortunately I will be away for the next month, so there will be little progress. But i'm hoping that when I get back in July and into August I will get this project driving and I can go for a shake down drive, before embarking on the final stage of the project - PAINT!

Edited by JeepSaffer - 09 June 2017 at 10:42am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 8:53am
Well, Saturday this past weekend was a huge day...

I first picked this jeep up on 20th September 2014, which means that by Saturday I had had it for 2 years and 340 days. It came to me partially disassembled, and was not running. I was assured that all the parts were there, but to be honest I had no idea what I was looking at, so I wouldn't have known any better anyway. I do remember the owner telling me that it jumped out of 2nd gear. Every possible seal leaked, and the body was covered with body filler that was 6mm thick in places, had cracked and was flaking off in large sheets. I drove 600km to fetch it and the same to bring it home.

Since then I have spent every spare moment researching, assessing, fixing, restoring, importing parts and replacing, to get it into the reliable shape that I want for it to be a daily driver. It was a big moment when I ran the engine for the first time, but there was just so much more to be done and every part I took off needed to be straightened, fixed, replaced, cleaned or painted. It was so far away from being a daily driver. Throughout it all, this forum has been my constant source of research, information, encouragement, inspiration and help.

I have made steady progress all the time, and 2 weeks ago I made a list of what I thought needed to be done to get the Jeep driving. The list was 19 points long. I got 7 done that weekend. This Saturday I got the remaining 12 points done. By 4pm I found myself sitting in the drivers seat, nervously anticipating cranking the engine and easing the jeep out of the garage and into the driveway under it's own power for the first time in nearly 3 years.

The engine cranked, it started and after a few moments to warm up, it settled down to a steady idle.
I pushed the clutch in. First gear engaged seamlessly, and I eased the clutch out. Fully out? Nothing was happening! Oh, the transfercase was in neutral! What relief at the obvious solution.... 

The second time, the jeep edged forward slowly, down the garage approach ramp and into the brilliant sunshine, all under it's own power!!! I turned the wheel to miss Benji the dog and the front wheels responded. I hit the brakes and she stopped. The feeling of accomplishment, pride, happiness and sheer relief was overwhelming. I engaged reverse and returned the jeep back up the driveway. Reverse worked too!

I spent a happy hour, beaming from ear to ear, as I tinkered and adjusted and fiddled with this and that. No-one could have been happier than me at that moment.

After testing the brakes again, I took the jeep out of the driveway and around the block, a trip of probably 800m. The steering works, the brakes work, all gears shift and work. Given that the hood does not yet have the hold downs installed, the radiator brush guard is not properly fitted, and the T90 cover plate was sitting loose in the passenger footwell, I don't think I need to be too worried about rattles and noises yet... Wink

So, its taken me 2 years and 340 days, but the Jeep is driving!

I got engaged a month ago, and my fiancee has insisted we use the jeep as the wedding vehicle... So now the pressure is on to finish this project, including paint, in the next 6 months! Looks like December holidays is going to be a busy time...

Bring it on!

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>