Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 CJ2A #204853, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 9:15am
Well done Mike , congratulations on the engagement as well.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 10:41am
All is good-literally! Thanks for sharing your story with us along the way.
Rick Estes
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 1:01pm
Really nice looking jeep, nice colour combination ,job well done.ClapClapClap
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 1:04pm
Great looking Jeep!  
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 1:21pm
Thank you all.

Originally posted by Gil Gil wrote:

nice colour combination ,job well done.ClapClapClap

Thanks Gil, the only thing that is final colour are the wheels (Luzon Red). The body and windshield are still in anti-rust etching primer for now: red for the body, and black for the windshield when the red ran out! They still need their final colour of Normany Blue.
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 3:50pm
Congratulations on BOTH projects! Two thumbs up!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 4:51pm
Mike your jeep is really going to look good with paint.Geek
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2017 at 12:16am
Jeepsaffer, thanks again for the great pic's. Are you saying if I install the gas filter as shown in my pic I could have clearance problems? Would be good to know before I make metal line. Thanks Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2017 at 7:15am
Hi Joe, 

Your gas filter as shown will work. The metal line routing to the fuel pump is where you need to be careful.

You will come out from your filter elbow horizontally, and then at some stage you need to put in a bend and go down to the fuel pump. This is where you might hit the fender. You need to go down but also in towards the engine if you are to avoid the fender. How soon you bend in is the trick. My advice is to mock up the front fender and then you can be sure that your line will work first time. Smile

Mike
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 5:20am
Congrats on the engagement and your other half wanting the jeep in the wedding
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2017 at 8:47pm
You are doing a great job, very happy for you and your future wife. Nice that she wants the jeep in the wedding and as a side note if you moved to this part of the world, parts would be easier to obtain. Big smile Can't wait to see pictures of you and your wife driving your jeep down the road!!!
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2017 at 8:59am
Thanks Phil, kind words.

Well, now that the jeep is running and driveable, I am finding a reason to drive it every weekend. I might get you your picture sooner rather than later! I live in a small neighbourhood with quiet roads, so it's ok to head out for a trip around the block! The headlights are wired up now so I wanted to test them for brightness at night. I went out last night for a trip around the block and they were surprisingly bright!

Other general progress so far:
- Choke and throttle cables installed
- Drivers side seat frame returned to stock on the rear support leg from some previous hold down arrangement that didn't work very well.
- Passenger side diamond tread step pulled apart, brackets with old crappy welds were cut off, I straightened the step and brackets, welded it all up and filled all the holes, and re-attached the step to the floor. It looks 100 x better and now my fiancee can get in easier!
- Headlights all wired up with dim and brights working.
- Gas tank stripped of about 100 layers of paint and bed liner. It looks original, and has a few patch pieces welded underneath. It has been lined internally and seems to be leak free. It's now almost ready for primer and new paint. The filler neck is copper coated! Are they all like this or is it a replacement filler neck that someone put in at some stage?
- Air cross over tube stripped of old paint, prepped and first coat of gloss black is on. Awaiting second coat.
- Speedo cable installed and speedo now working.

I would like to move on to the tail lights and get these fitted and wired up soon, perhaps even this weekend. Also to get the gas tank sender mocked up and tested with the gauge.

Everything always takes twice as long as you think it will, but progress is steady. It won't be long now until I strip the body off one final time to do the final prep and paint.

This engine always starts first crank! Choke on, a press of the gas pedal to squirt some gas into the carb, and it starts first crank, even when cold and after sitting for a week. Love it!
Paraex79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paraex79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 10:09am
Hey Mike, congrats on the engagement and well done on your Jeep build, a great job. You will have to help me with mine.
Allan Montile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 10:41am
Well, it was 13 Sept 2017 when I made my last post. Embarrassed I haven't exactly been sitting on my backside, but life got REALLY busy for a while.

Sadly I couldn't find the time to finish the jeep in time for the wedding. We did house renovations (new kitchen, floors, ceiling etc etc etc), work got busy, and the actual wedding planning and arrival of friends and family from around the world took preference. And I ran a few marathons too...

Fortunately the jeep didn't stand completely in this time. This is what I have completed as and when I have stolen a few hours:
  1. I have found a second L134 engine block and I plan to build a new engine from scratch on the stand, then swap it in at some point in the future. I have ordered all the parts I need and these parts have arrived. I dropped the block off at the machine shop for measurement and to have some broken studs removed. This is good progress on that front.
  2. Jeep wiring is now complete! I did it all myself from scratch, which was quite fun but also very good experience. I wired in indicators to the stock lights using relays, and wrote up a How To which I posted on the site here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/turn-signals-using-relays-to-keep-a-stock-look_topic41948.html    Hopefully this can help others out there that might want to do the same thing.
  3. My windshield inner frame which was very badly rusted has been professionally repaired. Probably not cost effective but it does save me having to import one which was my only other option, and shipping on that would have cost a bomb.
  4. My windshield is basically back to stock, and all the previous owners mods and welding on the adjustment arms have been undone. I made new bushes so that the correct screws and washers fit again. All extra holes in the outer frame have been identified and welded closed. I have bent the attaching arms correctly so that the windshield sits centred on the cowl and all works as it should. I have installed repro hold down clamps, which were previously missing. All my windshield needs now is paint and glass!
  5. Gas tank has been stripped, cleaned and painted. The inside has been previous sealed. The original OD green paint was revealed, consistent with the history of this jeep as a military jeep imported by the Army. The hold down straps were in terrible shape, so I made some new ones. The hold down bracket on the drivers side wall was too high, so I cut this off and repositioned it where it should be. The tank has been plumbed in, including a NOS carter ceramic in-line fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump. The fuel gauge has been installed.
  6. The original side step on the passengers side has been straightened out, broken bolts removed, and reinstalled in its correct location. The drivers side still needs to be done.
  7. Seat frames have had Bubba's work cut off, and the drivers side is once again fixed at the rear on the peg leg. It has previously had a conversion to make it tilt like the passengers seat. It is not quite back to stock (missing the seat pan), but pretty close.
  8. An original 6V horn has been wired in on the fender. This has required an inline resistor to be installed for it to work on the 12V system.
The last time I drove this jeep I had a temp gas tank hanging off the front bumper. Wednesday here is a public holiday and I plan to fill the tank with fuel and drive it as it was intended to be driven! All gauges working, fuel tank in, all wiring working!

I am getting kinda close now to where I need to be to work out any final mechanical issues. I plan to drive this jeep for a week or two and install any final bits and pieces (spare wheel bracket is one!) and debug any issues that crop up, and then take it all apart for paint. The final re-assembly should hopefully be as painless as possible!

I haven't posted any pics because to be honest the jeep doesn't look too much different from the last time I posted a picture. But if I head out for a drive on Wednesday I will be sure to post a pic of the outing...

'til then...

Mike

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 6:24pm
Your making great progress Mike
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 2:16am
You need the pics to save for posterity.  And us.  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

You need the pics to save for posterity.  And us.  Thumbs Up

Oh I've got lots of pics... just not very exciting ones...

This is the current state of play of the engine with drivers fender removed.

At bottom right is the carter in-line fuel filter in the line from the tank to the fuel pump and the second carter ceramic fuel filter is between the pump and the carb. I still have to tidy up the wiring into a harness of sorts.

Here is the tank I have stripped and repainted. You can also see the front straps I made up, which I'm strangely proud of. Weird how the simple things can give the most satisfaction, right? The drivers side hook had to get lowered to get the strap to work properly.

This is the dash, all gauges installed, again some tidying up of wiring under the dash still to be done and I need to secure the flasher unit properly, probably to the firewall. My original gas pedal (that I didn't realise had a very poor wire Bubba fix through to the accelerator linkage) has been replaced with a take-off that now has the proper push rod. That will make a big difference to my next drive! You can see also the windshield hold down clamps which are now installed.

So, as I say, good progress all round and I'm getting pretty close to stripping it back to the frame and getting some paint on this thing!

I'm looking forward to putting some gas in tomorrow and going for a drive! I'll calibrate a dowel rod as I put the gas in so that I can later figure out if my aftermarket gauge is telling the truth or not!

More pics no doubt on Thursday!

Mike
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2018 at 3:40am
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Oh I've got lots of pics... just not very exciting ones...

"Exciting" is in the eye of the beholder.  Your project is looking really exciting from here.  Post all the pics you want!  Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>