Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48 pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 48 pickup
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 11:30am
Any thoughts on this truck? I have contacted the seller and may be able to see it when he is hauling it near me after picking it up in Missouri. I think it's priced too high. Turns over but doesn't run.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5958403770.html

Thanks for any opinions.
Rick Estes
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 1:02pm
I've purchased 4 1/2 of these. 800.00-1500.00 tops is my estimate on worth. The title would be a win if it's in the current owners name. Frankly, it depends how nice a end result you want. Huge amount of work fixing the rust, and the boxes are almost always beat to complete death. A new box is over $4000.00! The frame behind the cab fills with mud and rusts completely out on some. The tailgates new have no WO in them, and used approach $400.00 for a good one. My advice is to wait and buy the best one body wise you can find and pay more for it.  You will be glad you did. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 1:25pm

Good advice! Thank you. This guy is going from the coast of Virginia to Missouri to pick it up and coming back through near me Thursday so if his timing works for both of us, I may still try and meet up to look.
Rick
Rick Estes
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 2:28pm
From the interior, that truck was Potomic grey with maroon trim like mine. Alot had a spotlight installed on the drivers side. Originally column shift and the floor plate shows it.  Been cut into a floor shift poorly. Looks like the previous owner added a "floor fill" for the transmission.  Look at the door bottoms and front cab quarters. They fill up with dirt and then rust through. That one is definately fixable, but for 6 grand, it should be in better condition. I've seen much better ones for 2500.00. I saw a beautiful one, almost mint body, bring 3800.00 and no sale on ebay. That one was worth 6 grand to me because the bodywork would have been little to do. Missing the front valance behind the bumper. A new bumper is 100.00 and a re-chrome is 250.00. Things add up real fast. The big deal is that the early pickups with the  L 134 had 60 hp pulling 3100 lbs. You sit back and enjoy the very slow ride-------LOL Many got re-fitted with a larger power plant. Hacked up over and over. I junked one that had the dash modified so many times, it was gone behind the plate covering the mess. Jeep was the first 4 wheel drive pickup available to farmers and ranchers. Marmon Harrington 4 wheel drives were rare in the Fords. They sure used them. A fellow came in and saw my project and said they had one when he was growing up. The rear track is wider than the front. He said it was worthless in snow. I think they are cool looking . I have a '53 with the f head. Just a buddy, and is also slow. People literally flock to it in parking lots. Take pictures, etc. I told one bunch to go ahead and sit in it. I walked into the same store and the manager started ooohing and aweing about how he would love to have that old Jeep sitting out there. I told him it was mine. Took about 45 minutes before I could leave. Star All fun. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 3:10pm
Thanks againg for the great info. Yeah, I was thinking $2500 tops but that's before I see it. I imagine with him starting at 6k we'll  never get together. Still...
Rick Estes
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 3:12pm
I agree with oilleaker. I see a lot of good in this truck and it has a lot of potential but I also see lot of bad expensive things too. It's not that special of a project to demand that kind of price tag as there are many others out there in similar condition priced way less.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 7:00pm
Thanks for the response. I've been looking for a while but not too hard.
Rick
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply