Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'48 project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '48 project
    Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 4:25pm
I have just begun a restoration on this '48 which has been in our family for 40+ years. I also learned how to drive in this! We have been using it as a ranch vehicle, but it's time to make her nice again! I just finished a '50 M38 restoration last year, but couldn't wait any longer for another jeep project... Plus my kids, 8 & 9 have been bugging me to work on it! My M38 is a little to nice for trail and off road stuff, so that is what this one will be used for. Keeping it mostly original though...

Aaron
South Dakota
CJ2A - Ser. 185785
Aaron
M38, CJ2A (lefty)185785, Overland Pickup
Project Thread:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/48-project_topic40731.html
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 4:30pm
Another 'lefty' appears......looks like a good start.

Welcome to The Page.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 4:41pm
Super Cool! Great story too!
Dutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 5:07pm
very nice - looks like a fairly solid rig.
Do you have any pictures from the early days? Those really set the tone for the project.
Welcome 
Dutch
     ,[__|__],
l   L__O|||||O_
()_) ()_)-~--)_)
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 5:26pm
Welcome!  

Yep, that's definitely a keeper.  

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 8:22pm
Aaron,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Lefty's!  Can you take a few shots of the engine?  Try to include the horn, the voltage regulator, Oil bath breather, the oil filter, the fan shroud and so on.

It looks to be in decent shape.  Keep us posted.  Save whatever you can that is the original.  Even what seems to be foolish stuff like the old fuel pump, water pump, oil pump and so on.  If it is original 1948 toss it in a box someone down the road might was to rebuild it.

Do you think it has the original engine, transmission and axles?  What color do you think it started out as?

Anyway Welcome  to the group!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2017 at 9:40pm
too funny... was just scanning your pics and in my head was screaming "Lefty!", lol...  nice.  And the family tie (and involvement) only sweetens the pot.

Welcome, and looking forward to following along Smile
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
aforests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 3:49am
Ok, I'm posting a few pics for all to see. My expertise lies in the M38 so still learning on the 2A differences. Let me know what you guys see in these pictures...
I'm pretty sure the original color was black. It has a 12 volt generator, but i'm guessing this was supposed to be 6 volt? I haven't gotten far enough along to look at transmission and rear diff., but would be surprised if it's not original to the jeep. Engine serial starts with a 'J'.

Aaron
Project Thread:
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 2:52pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 5:36pm

Aaron,

Thanks for the pictures of the engine compartment.

The sheet metal really looks great.  Some parts under the hood have been changed but you can still see a lot of 1948.

If you were doing a historical rebuild - which you are not according to your post, I would note the following: (realizing that Willys did not have a first in first out inventory system, so it all depends on what was brought to the line that day.  Vehicles sometimes ended up with older parts that were in stock).

1. Frame, engine, sheet metal and drive train original after 69 years is an awesome find (assuming that is the case)!

2.  It is missing some 1948 stuff like the correct horn, 6 volt regulator/generator and generator tensioning arm, the oil bath breather is an earlier style (but who knows what could have been brought the line the day), it is missing the rain gutter, fan shroud extension.

3.  It has a newer log arm rear view mirror (the factory one was a short nonadjustable length that made it almost impossible to see around the drives side spare tire).

4.  It has the early style Lolli Pop windshield adjusters (they changed from what I have seen sometime in 1948 - Again depends on what they brought to the line that day from inventory (round threaded  to a square nut welded to the lolli pop adjuster).

5. Most of the hose clamps are original except the ones on the radiator.

6. From a distance the carburetor looks correct (it would be interesting to see if it has a tag with Mfg date).

7. Fuel pump appears correct but it should have a metal bowl not a glass bowl (if you ever rebuild it or have it off for some reason there is a Mfg month/year on it in two places).

8. The ribbed engine head looks correct for a 1948.

9. Dana 25 front drive flanges are correct for a 1948.

10. You would need to look closely at the water pump to see if there is any way to tell when it was made.  But the plugs in the pump are correct versus the modern plugs which are almost usually Allen style plugs.

11. The horn is missing but the fender is drilled in the right area for the horn.  The 1948s ususally have a certain style horn.   It is hard to see in your second engine photo but the horn contact should still be on the side of the steering tube.  The later steering tubes had the horn wire coming out of the bottom (again I think this was a mid-year change in 1948.  The Leftys were a second quarter production in 1948 for the most part -we think).

12.  I can’t tell if the draw bar is for a 1948 based on the angle of the photo.

The jeep looks very 1948ish to me – but a lot can happen in 69 years.

You will see a post from the Jeep police who are experts on very early civilian jeeps which the 1948 is not. A post like this is a trigger event for them.

Edited by Stev - 16 Aug. 2017 at 5:44pm
Stev
aforests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 4:37pm
Thought it was time to post my progress from the last month or so. Luckily I have a parts body that I was able to steal from as I'm dealing with a lot of rot mainly on the floors and lower sides. I have ordered some floor panels and hat channels that worked very well. Plugging away and having fun!

Also included a picture of my 50 M38 which I finished restoring a little over a year ago! Here is the project thread for that: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9678

Edited by aforests - 14 Nov. 2017 at 11:02pm
Aaron
Project Thread:
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2017 at 5:45pm
Nice metal work so far...

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
aforests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2017 at 10:50pm
Some additional photos of work I've gotten done in the last few weeks...

Aaron
Project Thread:
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 3:20am
Nice metal work on that tub.Thumbs UpKeep the pictures coming.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2017 at 3:35am
My 3B had a strange bend in about the same place but no signs of damage from an accident. At least the kid is using dust protection
uncamonkey
aforests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2017 at 5:30pm
Have been getting some quality time in on the 48.

Grinding down welds, filling holes that shouldn't be there!

Thought it was interesting that they stamped a wrong number into the body support and then tried to fix it...

Used Por15 on the underside. Want to try and limit future corrosion as much as possible!

Starting to do some filling. Inside of box was some kind of banged up and rotted out. The filler won't make it perfect, but will be a lot smoother then it was! Also didn't want filler any thicker then 1/16th of an inch anywhere on the jeep!
Aaron
Project Thread:
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2017 at 8:32pm
Great work! Great progress!
Stev
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2017 at 12:34am
Love to see when someone takes the time to keep an original tub and do what it takes to restore it. Kudos for using as much original steel as possible. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>