Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

52 M38 New Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtrmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 52 M38 New Project
    Posted: 05 Oct. 2016 at 2:38pm
I just picked up this 52. It was built back in the 80's and raced as a sand dragster for many years. The owner passed away and it was sold at an estate auction. The person who bought it had big plans and ran out of time and money to work on it.
He did a spring over and installed the 36" tires. He did a temporary fix on the steering to move it around.
It currently has a GM steering column and a manual steering box. The steering just doesn't work
I'm planning on replacing it all. New steering column, steering box and linkage.
I'm not sure what front axle is in it yet. I know on the one it has there's no way to do a high clearance steering setup.
So I'm looking for ideas on how to setup the front steering.
Right now I'm thinking Ididits steering column a 500 mini power steering box and a DD shaft. And a drop pitman arm.
The drive train is bullet proof. I plan on swapping out the manual trans for an automatic due to a leg injury I have makes it hard to push the clutch.
Once I get the suspension done I'm going to redo the body and paint.

Xtrmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtrmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2016 at 2:39pm
And this is my first post here. I've sent the last week reading through the forum.
robwkamm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robwkamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 2:15am
I like it!!  must be a handful to drive.   I had a orange 1980 cj5 for years.  it was on 36 also. never blew anything on it. even with the stock 2 piece rear axles.
Xtrmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtrmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2016 at 2:27am
I'll let you know when I drive it. Lol. I brought it home Monday night. Didn't have time till Thursday night to check it out. I put the battery charger on it so I could drive it Friday night. Came out Friday night to find gas all over the floor.
The gas tank started leaking so I pulled it. I ordered a 15 gallon fuel cell that I'm going to mount in the back. I should have the cell tomorrow so hopefully this weekend I can play with it before I pull it apart.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 2:17am
i dig it! Cool rig. Do you know any history of it? I swear it looks familiar - maybe rolling around western MA at some point in the past?
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Xtrmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtrmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 2:29am
It was built back in the 80's and did sand drags. The guy who owned it back then lived in Troy NY. It wasn't as high. I was given a bunch of pictures I could post a few.
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 5:50am
Nice looking rig ! looks good that color. Stuyvesant is right around the corner, kind of. I use to deer hunt that area all the time, until they had that silly rule about getting them processed in NY and not coming back over the line. I like the CJ. Post up some old pictures hen you get the chance. Maybe we will see you around the hills of western Mass.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 9:34am
Well, be careful with it and if I may, get it off of the SOA conversion soon. My brother bought a '49 or '50 flatty with a full race SBC in in it and it scared me to death when I drove it for a few days.
We never knew why it was built up to that point. 
I was down in Denver looking for Jeep parts and a flatty was out in front of a shop with a 401 Buick motor in it. huh, I have a 472 Caddy motor sitting out in my yard?
Not going to do it.
uncamonkey
Xtrmes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtrmes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2016 at 6:07pm
It had a long race history. I'm just going to drive it and make it more user friendly. the clutch is so stiff it's hard to push the pedal down.
It has all explosion proof NHRA bell housing and shields. I want to go to an auto with overdrive since it has 5,13 gears in it.
I'm leaving the lift as is for now. I'll do a 4 link and coilovers down the road.
But for now I'm just fixing mechanical stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply