Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple starter questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple starter questions
    Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:42am
My apologies not strictly 2a related here, but I value the collective Willys knowledge here...

RMC M38 L134 block

Late m38 sealed bell housing w/o starter bushing

Looking for a little backup that a MDM 6005 closed nosed starter (listed for 3B's and early 5's with F heads) is correct, 9 tooth bendix on a 124 tooth ring gear, and

Assuming the above is correct, that it's normal for the bendix to be extended at installation... I was concerned that the bendix on mine is "out", but have found reference on the 3a page that this is normal.

Any input appreciated, before I forge forward and learn the hard way ;)
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:59am
The 124 tooth is a Wagon Pickup thing I believe the CJ's used a 129 tooth like mine is.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:12am
I thought 9 tooth was ok with 124 or 129 tooth rings

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:14am
When the engine starts it will over spin the bendix and return it, no worries.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:23am
Thanks, Lee... that's what I found, but is counter to what I'm familiar with-

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:03am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Thanks, Lee... that's what I found, but is counter to what I'm familiar with-

If you have a very large wire wheel you can overspin it with that, a trick an old timer showed me many years back!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:16am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

If you have a very large wire wheel you can overspin it with that, a trick an old timer showed me many years back!.Lee

Thanks for sharing that tidbit!... it continues to humble me that all that I have forgotten is drastically outweighed by that I did not know ;)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:02pm
Ugh... just following up on the MDM 6005/124 tooth ring for closure.

It appears I may have the wrong starter :(  According to the graphic below from willysmjeeps, the 9 tooth bendix may mesh with the 124 teeth, but the ring gear diameter is 1/2" less than the 129 tooth given the 3/4" offset of the 124 versus the 1" offset of the 129.

ETA:  more accurately stated, I have the wrong ring gear Confused

Edited by mbullism - 15 May 2017 at 5:34pm
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:34pm
Just don't do what I did in my Volvo. I left the grocery store and the Bendix drive stayed engaged for the trip home. I thought the electric fuel pump was going out from the sound.
Cooked that one, not even a click out of it later. I usually rebuild them myself but with this one I just set it on the counter, bought another and let them deal with the crispy remains.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply