Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 141>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 1:13am
Oh Lee I am fully aware of the wrath of KARMA.

in this case I plan on spending the money ASAP so Karma can just wait for the pay back LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:00pm
Do you have to have a DOT physical and health card to keep your truck driver and hoisting license ?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 12:34am
Yes I do the CDL physical exam thing every year.

Edited by Mark W. - 02 May 2017 at 2:18am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:50am
SO KARMA got me anyway. I finally got around to asking the bean counter at work why the deductions for my 401K loan I just took out to work on Chug weren't showing up on my pay stub.

He comes back a couple hours later with YOUR 10 payments behind on your loan (weekly payments) I said how did that happen (supposed to be a payroll deduction) He comes back with it looks like it never got set up when you took out the loan.

I ask is that something I am supposed to do?

HELL NO its his JOB

so I wrote a check to cover it and the Willys fund is down $240 bucks

and to make sure I know the power I can't find a little 1/8NPT to -4AN 90 degree fitting I have been playing with while I figure out my fancy braided Oil lines anywhere.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 5:49am
I understand your pain with the accountants. I've had the same fun with insurance agents. doctors and lawyers,. You expect me to pay you and I have to do the work for you?
There is a reason I was happy out pounding on a nail in freezing temps.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:15pm
X2, and I still pound nails out in the freezing cold, and that's why I work alone , a lot less headaches.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 4:06am
About half my family pounds nails. I did in high school working for my Uncle and I learned skills I have used my whole adult life. My grandfather was a House painter (with brushes) and did remodeling jobs for the neighborhood (farm country about 200 sq miles of neighborhood LOL) My dad was is now referred to an a HVAC tech we knew him as a Sheet Metal Man he could scratch build sheet metal Tee's and Elbows for heating systems. I learned a lot of that as well.

OH a happy note while showing off the Hot Rod 134L to my neighbor I found the silly blue AN elbow I lost............it was screwed into the Aluminum PCV Dome I made so basically about 9" away from where I wanted it. Gee's

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 5:00am
Yep, Grampa was a carpenter. My other grandfather was a stationary engineer. Dad was an accountant. Mom took care of us and made sure my shoe laces were starched and ironed.
I have all of both grandfathers tools. Add them to the carpentry tools I own, I got a lot of stuff. I got out a few old tools on job sites and other workers had no idea what the thing was for.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:33pm
My brother, father and grandfather too, my grandfather was also pretty good model A mechanic back in his day. My father went to the Naval academy at Annapolis and studied electronics after that he worked for Raytheon for a short time, got sick of all that and went back to banging nails. Go figure.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:22am
My dads uber rare left hand sheet metal tools got grabbed by his second wife. Who couldn't have used them in a million years. But then she also talked dad into giving her various rifles she knew us boys really wanted. Infact the only tool I can think of I have is a beam style torque wrench and the flat head valve compressor.

But I got my own.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

My dads uber rare left hand sheet metal tools got grabbed by his second wife. Who couldn't have used them in a million years. But then she also talked dad into giving her various rifles she knew us boys really wanted. Infact the only tool I can think of I have is a beam style torque wrench and the flat head valve compressor.

But I got my own.

Well, I've had to bang some tin on some jobs. M1, M2, M3 snips along with some old, big Wiss shears? White gas torch with a soldering iron to solder gutters.
My brother "borrowed" my 1938 Remington Gallery Gun and I still have a flat head valve spring compressor as well as an old beam style torque wrench.
Some friends seem to have the ability to forget to set their clicky wrenches back to 0. It's hard to screw up a beam style so I have had to get it out a few times for them.
A friend has a 500 LB Ft clicky wrench.
I have no need to torque things to that point.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:51pm
DANG it years ago I bought a set of Tie Rod ends from a local Jeep parts guy and today when I go to assemble my Cross Over style tie rods and drag link I find that I got 1) Double end (like the Jeepsters) and 3) left hand thread std ends instead of just 2) like I should have and then a Right hand thread.

Luckily the NAPA web Site says my local NAPA buddies have one in stock. Just I got up at 4 this morning since by some wild act of luck they didn't need me at work today and with Construction season in full swing (we have like 4-6 different jobs all going at once plus all the Hauling we do for the company that we get Asphalt from) and tomorrow I have to run down to Roseburg  for something the wife wants to do. I wanted to make the MAX use out of today.

Turns out I had to do some grinding on the right end of the center section on the DANA 25 to get my fancy U-Bolt plates to line up. So now thats got paint drying on it.

Well close enough to 8:00 AM to wander down to NAPA

back later I should get a bunch done today if I can stay on task. Hopefully I will have the Whole front suspension and steering to the U-Joint/Vibration dampener then the front brakes plumbed to the frame (going CJ-5 style with long hoses from the cylinders to the frame)

lets see how I do.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 8:12pm
OK so NAPA web site lied.... But the store up in Canby has one and the wife travels through there on her way home and she's going to be a pal and pick it up for me.

Next PITA is the double Tie rod end has really tight threads (I have cleaned and inspected the threads to no real relief) And it turns out unless I am missing something the only way to get this Cross Over style tie rod installed is to put the Tie Rod Ends in the Knuckles and then screw the thing together all at once!!!! There is not enough distance between the springs and the Knuckle to angle the second Tie Rod End in place. This will not be much fun. I really don't want to have to leave wrench marks on the Tie Rod. And no matter what I do it will mess up the Paint even if I use my hands. I guess this gets painted after its back from the alignment shop.

Only got one of the Brake lines the other will be here tomorrow or Monday At least I can do all the figuring out with just one. Looks like a L bracket mounted to a hole on the bottom of the frame just to the rear of the Bump stop is going to be where it mounts to the frame.

more later.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:19pm
OK by turning the knuckles all the way to the Left I was able to get the Tie Rod installed. But I am noticing that there is VERY little clearance between the Double Tie Rod End and the top of the Right Spring. Since I am assembling this with no weight on the frame the suspension is hanging free as if a Wheel was off the ground. I can see how when the spring flattens out (with the engine and such on it) that the clearance will improve a little. But I wonder.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:12pm
I had to get creative with my Ford box and full length tie rod set up.  I'll have to look at it again, but I think I stuck the double end on the drag link and then the tie rod went in to the hole on the double end.  That angles the double joint up just enough to give extra clearance.

Otherwise, there is always the tie rod flip kit...forget which outfit makes them.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:42am
Yea not flipping the Tie Rods I managed to get it assembled by cranking the knuckles over to the left as far as they would go. Now with the Shocks in place (they limit the downward travel of the springs by about 1/2 I think it will be easier to disassemble for paint and then reassemble. Once the weight is on the springs and they flatten out some the clearance will be plenty.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:15pm
I HATE BRAKE LINES

There thats out of the way...............

So Yesterday I got into the PITA of trying to create my Front Hard Lines. First I needed to make some niffty Hose mount brackets that attach to the forward mounting hole for the Axle Snubber. The first try had the wrong angle so I took what I learned making those and did it right the second time.

Then I got to find out what POS Dorman Brake Hose Clips are. They have no spring are basically just bent mild steel so at best once use. as once you remove them there is no tension to hold the hose in place the second time. I had one Original clip left so now to scare up a couple others (I want a spare in my repair kit).

So with the Hoses happily screwed into the Wheel Cylinders and then clipped into the little brackets I got to trying to figure out how to best run the lines. The first design I came up with had the line going to the right side running on the back side of the cross member and I didn't like that as it would be running along the full length of the radiator. So I changed the way I was using the little TEE and got the Hard line under the cross member.

The little 90 degree hard line that goes to the Left Hose was a PITA had to make it three times before I had one that I could accept. Then actually running the long Right side hard line was a little easier then I thought it would be the bends on the far Right could be better but acceptable.

Then I made up a little short Hard line to connect the Tee fitting to the Residual Pressure valve (10lbs in the case of Drum Brakes). I wasted time at NAPA and ACE looking for some sort of mounting clip that would hold the Valve in place and finally came home and made some from Micarta. You will notice the forward clamp has no screw in the bottom hole as luck would have it the Left side Radiator mount is so much in the way I can't even drill a hole for a Sheet metal screw. Not to mention a threaded hole like the others. The Clamps hold the lines and the Valve very secure with just three screws so I guess I cut off a screw and epoxy it in the hole for looks LOL.

I made up the two little Stainless Steel Clips that secure the Right side Hard Line to the bottom of the Cross Member. I still have to drill and thread those holes.

Sure wish there was some way to test all this before its all done. Sure would be nice to look for air leaks instead of fluid dripping on paint.

So here's a bunch of photos:

The first couple show the Tie Rod set up and the relationship between the Drag link and the Tie Rod. I got them very parallel and with little angle so I think they should be real good as far as no Bump steer or DEATH WOBBLE.

This one shows them from the left side. I ran them stop to stop and nothing interferes with anything else the locking nuts on the right sides of the Drag Link and Tie Rod get close but never touch. And all of the clearances will improve once the weight is on it. And since the Shocks are currently limited out I don't see how anything could get closer then it is now. So I think I am good to go.

And now on to the Brakes first an overall view

And some close ups of the Residual Pressure Valve mounting and the Left side hard lines.

Top view of same

And some shots of the Hose bracket I made.

The Hose mount bracket has been relieved to fit flat with the Axle Snubber mount under it this also restricts its movement.

I had hoped to get this amount of work done as well as to break down the Steering assembly and get those parts cleaned up and painted. But that just didn't happen. I guess if I am not working 11 hour days this week I might be able to get it done after work.

Edited by Mark W. - 03 July 2017 at 4:03am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 9:31pm
Oh in case anyone wondered what the tape was holding on to the Radiator mounts. Those are 1/4" thick Polyurethane body mounts. I was thinking of using them under the radiator but as I am going to need every bit of clearance between the top of the radiator and the underside of the hood (details much later) I have decided to go with a thick 2" D Neoprene washer under the Radiator. The aluminum Radiator I bought has a slightly different spacing between the mounting studs on the bottom so I had to open up the holes in my mounting tabs.

I sure wish I could tell exactly where to attach my Grill mount brackets to the top of the frame before I get to installing the grill be nice to drill and tap the holes now while everything is out in the open. But putting 2A  Grill mounts on a 56 CJ-5 Frame appears to be something I will have to figure out for my self LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 141>