Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 141>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:23am
Looks fantastic! Your level of detail is impressive as always.

Did you make your drag link and tie rod? or did you source them from somewhere? I need the exact same set up. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:15pm
I got the Tie Rod Ends from The Jeep Guy here in Portland http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/

I did get 2 left Regular ends instead of 2 rights and one left the double is a left I was able to get another Right from NAPA. I should have checked this years ago when I bought the set. I assume it was a simple mistake.

And the Tubes themselves from Herm the Over Drive Guy  http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/

They came with jam nuts.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:00am
SO today after work I had a little inspiration. Almost 20 years ago I got the wild idea to make a Billet Gas pedal for my 66 Chevelle Hot Rod project (since sold off to help afford the work on CHUG) When I sold the Chevelle I didn't let it or the fancy throttle linkage I made.

Well tonight I wanted to see if the Pedal could be adapted to CHUG. This is what I had and a Willys pedal to compare to.

As you can see the Aluminum pedal is much larger. But I got to looking at the design and came up with a plan. A little masking tape made it easier to see.

Then a few min with the bandsaw and my Belt grinder and I had a suitable Willys gas pedal. No longer do I have to look at all that work just sitting on a shelf now I can enjoy it.

I'll trim down the base section once I get to installing it. I'll have to add a ball joint or clevis attachment point on the back. I plan on creating a whole new Aluminum and Titanium throttle linkage to go with the Weber DGV carb I'll be using anyway.

I also got a great idea of how I am going to be doing the Radiator strut to jazz that up a bit too.

Haven't decided what I'll do with the Clutch and Brake pedals at one time I was going to take 1/2" mesh Hardware cloth and wrap it around the pedals on a 45 degree angle to give them some purchase. I might still do that.

Edited by Mark W. - 03 July 2017 at 3:49am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:57pm
I didn't think anybody knew what hardware cloth was anymore.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 12:20am
I'm old lol
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:09am
I must be old as well. My neighbor was wondering what to cover a gable end vent with. He had no idea what I was talking about and he is older than I am.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:46am
If you called it "chicken wire", people would say they know what it is, but it's not chicken wire...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:07am
I know I am an old phart. I know how to use a blow torch and an iron to solder things. The neighbor kid can't even identify what a slide rule is and it took him a long time to be able to read an analog clock and they say he is a smart kid.
I still think analog so digital things take some adjustment but I can do metric?
A lot of things have been lost over the years like being able to spell and write in cursive?
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:45pm
I swear (a lot) that kids these days come out of school dumber than when they went in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I swear (a lot) that kids these days come out of school dumber than when they went in.

If you really want an earful, talk to some of the teaches and get their opinion of how the system is working or not working and why.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:17am
Every year when my kids went back to school my wife would always (against my will) drag me to the school open house to meet the new teachers. On the way home she would always say "I'm never bringing you with me again", she finally caught on. I have 3 sons and none of them ever had a problem communicating their opinion to the teachers.
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:57am
My wife is a 6th grade teacher and she pours her heart and soul into her job. Unfortunately, a lot of parents think education is the sole responsibility of the educator and the result can be catastrophic. We stayed on top of our two sons like a cheap suit and thankfully they graduated high school, college, and are successful in their own careers. There are way too many folks who check out on their kids for various reasons.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 6:54pm
SO a little off topic but as we all know sometimes we have to do stuff not part of our project to get the time to work on our projects.

SO to that end since my lovely wife had the 3 yards of top soil mix dumped right in front of the doors to my carport Jeep shop I have had to do the associated yard work to get it the hell out of my way.

I need to roll my chassis out spin it around and then roll it under the Tub to check and drill my body mounts after rebuilding and creating a whole new tub.

SO yesterday I got the two new raised garden beds all ready to seed (both took 4 wheel barrows of soil mix as well as a 3 cu ft of Miracle Gro Garden soil mix). And today I just got the last of the soil mix put into the front yard we are reseeding. I then spread 14 bags of a reseeding soil mix and some Scotts new lawn soil mix. I then rototilled it a could times and its ready to rake out and grade then tomorrow I can seed it.

SO now what to do with the CU YARD of soil mix crap left in my way. The new neighbor said something about dumping it in the Alley way between our properties to help level it out. The city vacated the alleys last year and we both gained a stip of land 5 ft by 105ft. Big enough I can expand the lean to on the side of my carport to hide our trash cans and store my off road trailer once its built.

SO as much as I wanted to work for three days steady on CHUG I had to get this yard work crap done.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:19pm
Better halfs can be sneaky at times when they want something done around the house... I've often thought that this kind of behavior was an attention-getting device but my wife firmly denies it. I love her anyway... ...and after all she does have to share my time with Ol' Red.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:33pm
Always more to do outside this time of year, my wife always says why don't we do this and why don't we do that. I think we all know who we is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 12:30am
Always nice to have neighbors with smaller tractors to assist in moving things around like dirt and large motors.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:21am
I'm that neighbor, move a lot of snow for free too. The town fair used to be in the big field behind my house, my father has a 42 foot telescopic construction forklift, we used to build a real impressive bonfire out of pallets and slabs from a sawmill. They used to have tractor pulls a car show, woodsman events , moved it to the other side of town though but I'm still one of the judges for the pie baking contest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 2:11am
I've moved a fair amount of snow as well for free. Either with a shovel or with a tractor.
At least you get some pie out of it.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 141>