Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 141>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 5:53pm
WOW been working on Left fender and what a mess. The rear section was really messed up at one time (most likely before dad bought it while it was still on the farm). I been grinding the paint off and doing some pounding at the same time using the high spots left by the 5" sander to show where to bang. There's some great goober weld in the joint along the Rolled edge and then where the top meets the rear slope. Going to have to do a bit of grinding and rewelding to get that looking acceptable.

No way around it the Fenders are going to have some Body filler Just hoping to keep it to a minimum. I should have both fenders completely clean of paint and rust (at least as far as I can go) Going to clean up a few areas with the sand blaster (time to make another mess in the driveway LOL)

We have a house guest (a friend from the wife's work who had to work in the area and with the Eclipse crazyness couldn't find a room) So I couldn't really start the air compressor and pounding until he got up. As a result I cleaned up and did some organizing in the Shop proper where the Chassis was sitting. Got a little more room to dance now.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 10:16pm
He's a guest in your house, get him up and make him help.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 12:46am
OK so time for a Photo. As I have been whining about my fenders and the PITA they are being to get into shape. I decided to go ahead and make sure the HUGE Series 31 battery I want would fit into the allowed space. Without having to move to far to the left.

To do this I figured I had to make the Battery box section of the inner fender longer by at least 2.5" so I did. The battery will fit to within 3/8" of the wall of the bulge. I am going to be running to hold downs across the battery so I'll end up with the rods for the clamps needing at least 1/2" so the spacing works out just right. I will make the actual tray for the battery once the fender is installed and I can get it all lined up nice. Going to Bolt it to the frame. Originally Farmer who ever that put the tub on the CJ-5 frame just goober welded the CJ-2A tray on to the frame and I removed that mess when I cleaned up the frame.

I'm going to PC-7 Epoxy seal and coat the whole Battery area in the Inner fender as well as all other seams in the inner fenders just like I did under the Tub.

The rear section of the Inner fender will not come down to the frame for as long of distance but this may be correctable once I see how the tray is made.

SO a couple photos

Edited by Mark W. - 22 Aug. 2017 at 1:20pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 1:26am
How do you get a 3 way inside corner so clean, one of my least favorite things.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 1:43am
Very low setting on the welder and a lot of grinder time LOL.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 1:31pm
So got some bad news on the Project front yesterday. Turns out one of the local counties has found some money and they decided we should pave a section of road for the SUNDAY NIGHT. So this week I get to work the normal 50 hour 5 day then another 8 on Saturday getting off around 4:30 in the heat of the day. Then Sunday be at work around 3:30PM

HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET ANYTHING IMPORTANT DONE ON MY WILLYS

OK rant over.

MID November and Winter down time can't get here soon enough!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 9:05pm
They just don't understand.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 2:08am
I know!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 5:56pm
WOW left fender fitment kicking my ass. Between the slight tweak of the Classic Enterprises Lower Cowl section and the possibly out of shape angles of the fender I'm just not getting what I think should be how it all lines up. If I have it back against the flange on the Lower Cowl the front of the Fender Points up. I managed to get the inner fender to align somewhat along the Frame (though about 1/4" higher then it seams like it should and yes I know the 3/16" to 1/4" body lift I have could be the reason.)

Seriously thinking about a set of New Fenders.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 9:17pm
Do you know anyone local that has a good fender you could try to see how it fits?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 11:10pm
Not really. I do have a guy locally with a running (survivor type) 2A that I'm heading over to get some measurements off of and to see how things relate.

continued:

My big problem after seeing his is that if I line up the Lower Cowl joint and set the in/out distance for the Tail of the Fender and the Step. While the Inner Fender lines up pretty well along the frame the outside left corner (where the curve is) on the Flat section of the Fender is about 1/2" to 3/4" to high. Like someone grabbed the fender at that point and tried to lift the jeep.

I had to walk away to take a nap and get ready for nigh paving tonight. SO I have at least until tomorrow around 6pm to worry about it before I can re-attack it. I figured since I had the Rear of the fender in a good position I would mark where to drill the Mounting holes. And since I kept the Right side Lower Cowl Section from the Original Tub in my Scrap pile I was able to verify the holes are very close to where they should be. Close enough to go ahead and drill them when I next get a chance to work on it.

OK all for now.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2017 at 11:21pm
Are you able to put on the other fender and grill to see what it looks like before you go any further on the left fender?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2017 at 3:57am
I have to reassamble the right fender before I can do that but that is most likely the direction I will head. tha
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 10:39pm
HOLY CRAP I thought the fenders were a PITA to get down to bare metal. The grill is going to kill me. I got the outside all down to 80 grit and I started to sand blast the inside figured I would put up with one more huge mess in the driveway. BUT standing in the sun and trying to blast it with my low pressure setup is going to take for ever and use a PILE of sand.

On break now hoping to get it finished today so I can soak the thing with Phosphate

I decided to use a Grill I bought many years ago as my original was pretty bent up and the other one is straight. It does have some surface rust pitting (nothing some filler won't make easily disappear)

Going to make a big modification to the Top piece of the outer shroud. I'll show off some photos of that when its done. The mod will be part of my fresh air intake system.

I got the Headlite buckets all disassembled and except for one missing spring looks like I have everything. One of the Beauty ring screw holes has been smashed down flat a little I'll figure out how to fix that after I get it sand blasted. Easier to work on clean stuff.

I'm getting some flash rust on my fenders so tonight when I phosphate the grill I'll give them a shot as well.

Work is still running 6 days a week so Up at 4:00am on Sunday and busting ass until I drop is the best I can do for now. Looks like we could be on this kind of schedule until thanksgiving this year.

Got to find a way to get some more time. I really wanted to go into Winter with the Sheet metal painted.

On a tangent. I have started looking for the White Oak I will be using to make the strips for my fancy bed. The local Hardwood Store was a bit of a bust they had two pieces large enough to cut my pieces from (finished size 3/8" T x 1 3/8" W x up to 60" L) but both planks had enough warp in them to scare me off. They did how ever give me the name of a place up in Portland that looks to have PILES of White Oak to select from. And better prices. Now to find a day I can get up there and do some shopping.

Edited by Mark W. - 10 Sep. 2017 at 10:53pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 11:14pm
Been wondering where you've been, I feel your pain with the grill, just painted the one I'm working on a week ago, days of sanding (not hours). Wait until you paint it, trying to get a decent finish on everything without getting a run is a real pain, I got lucky. Trying to fit the POS MD Jaun windshield frame to the repro body, 2 days in already. I hope you're having better luck with your project than I am. Carry on.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 1:03am
I got so much sand in my hair I am almost afraid to go shower for fear the agitation my cause all my hair to fall out LOL.

I been thinking on the grill I might drop down to my detail gun I used it to paint a bunch of flying model airplanes in the past with a Petit Epoxy paint and they all came out very nice. I figure as I am working with a non metallic paint at least I won't have that nightmare to deal with.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 6:16pm
CRAP I had about 4 paragraphs of comment and I lost it.

OK so here goes again. Today I am working on the tail gate. after removing an angle iron brace my dad had pop rivited onto the right edge I found a Tail gate number (first number anywhere on the Tub) its 180027 near as I can tell which puts it right around the time they quit using tailgate numbers. Since my tub has no Toe board gusset number and I believe is a Willys rather then ACM tub that follows.

The gate is pretty dinged up and will take a lot of anvil time to get good enough for a Skim coat of filler to make it look straight. Dad had already pounded a section of what looks like Steel conduit into the top roll. But there is a bow to the top edge and I can't get the conduit out so I'll have to use the press at work to try to get it as straight as possible. I'll make a couple Micrata blocks with the proper curve to use to press on so I don't risk flattening it. Should be easy to find someone standing around after work to help hold it under the press. Half of the goobers at work tell me they don't believe I even have a Willys so this should be fun.

I got a couple photos for you the first is the underside of the two front fenders

This one shows the enlarged battery box area as well as the mounting hole for the recessed battery disconnect switch I will be using (200 Amp Pollck) it mounts the switch so the flipper is flush with the inner fender. I'm going to make up some sort of cover for it. Thinking of casting a Silicone rubber one that just pushes in to the recess. I'll be running over everything again with 80 grit prior to soaking it with Phosphate so the flash rust you see will be gone.

And here is the cleaned up Phosphate coated grill (photo is weird as its hanging vertical from the rafters and I turned the photo)

Ok back to grinding off paint and annoying the neighbors. After this the only things left to strip paint off are the Hood, Windshield and Roll Bar.

Edited by Mark W. - 17 Sep. 2017 at 6:18pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2017 at 1:03am
OK I'm done back hurts sand in my hair again and the Tailgate is hanging in the carport soaking in Phosphate rust converter stuff.

Going to be a lot of little fixes on this. Not sure how close to new it will look when I am done but I'm going to run with it.

the inside  (yea I know wierd how the metal takes the Phosphate so differently in different areas with no clear reason why. Oh and it was all either sandblasted or wire brushed to shinny metal.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 141>