Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 141>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:49am
Have you got some other place to hang your spare and jerry can?  Are you just going to patch the holes?  Making it like an M-38 tailgate might just be an easy solution.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:54am
I will be building a swing away tire carrier.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I will be building a swing away tire carrier.

And it will undoubtedly be a very cool piece of manufacture, with bells, whistles, bearings and grease zerks galore!  Thumbs Up
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2017 at 10:46pm
Dang I am having a hard time stripping the hood. It has dads CHUG a LUG art work on it and at one time my younger brother was all hot to hang it on the wall of his Gun Shop. Haven't heard from him about a replacement for many months. I traced the lettering and art work this morning so I can create a couple new stencils to reproduce dads art work. But it still seams like sacrilege to grind it all off.

Also I find no one that offers a Tan or Brown Pin Striping paint to use when redoing it. I am wondering if something like Testers/Model Master Model Car Enamel would work. They certainly have the colors and in small units at a great price. They have Enamel, Acrylic and Lacquer. This would only be used on the little Whiskey Jug. For the Chug a Lug name I would use the same Jet Black Kirker Acrylic Enamel I am painting the floor with. I have a couple different small air brushes that I could use. Dad used a model car paint brush if I remember correctly.

Thinking I'll use a sticky back contact paper for the stencil and just hand cut them with an X-acto

A good photo of the art work

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 12:07am
I'm sorry, I have'nt had the chance to read through your build thread but that last post about the original art work is something I personally believe you should hang on to... Sure you can recreate it, but it would'nt have your Dads heart in it.... Original art work is only original once, it can not be replaced..... If it was me, I would find a replacement hood and do as I wish.... Anyway, it's really cool and part of your Dad, I would preserve it Smile
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

I'm sorry, I have'nt had the chance to read through your build thread but that last post about the original art work is something I personally believe you should hang on to... Sure you can recreate it, but it would'nt have your Dads heart in it.... Original art work is only original once, it can not be replaced..... If it was me, I would find a replacement hood and do as I wish.... Anyway, it's really cool and part of your Dad, I would preserve it Smile

This has my vote as well! I say save that hood just as is. I'd have a terrible time removing that artwork. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 1:38am
I'd leave the hood as is and run it just as is. Great story and great conversation piece.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 1:40am
As many hoods as are out there I don't think you'll get many votes to redo that one. From a brothers perspective if you are waiting on a replacement hood from him to give him the original one I'd say you've got this long to get a replacement or cash for buying one.

If he doesn't come up with it buy your own and he is out unless he pony's up what you have in the replacement.....sounds like he isn't that into it as much as he says.

Hang it in your garage instead.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Dang I am having a hard time stripping the hood... But it still seams like sacrilege to grind it all off.

There ya go.  Don't do it.  Another hood is a much better idea. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 2:51am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

I'd leave the hood as is and run it just as is. Great story and great conversation piece.

It would look kind of funny on a Medium Blue Jeep I think.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 2:02pm
That hood art is something could never be replaced.  Ever.  

If it was me and I was planning a color change on Chug, I'd get another hood to paint blue and keep the original in a safe place.  Plus you'll still have the original to go by if you're going to re-create that art on the new hood.  

Win Win in my book.  

Edit:  Just looking at it again, if you have a steady hand, it's not that complicated that it can't be done on another hood by someone that's handy with a brush.  

Edited by Willy M - 24 Sep. 2017 at 2:04pm

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 3:23pm
Oh I already have the art work traced and can print out a contact paper stencil at any time. Dad only used one stencil and just flipped it for the other side. I made registration measurements on the tracing so I can re-position it on any hood.

I'm in the process of looking for a decent hood to replace the original.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 6:05pm
I'm sure you'll be happier than if you'd have re-done the original.  Thumbs Up
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 8:08pm
My current options

Local has a complete 3A body grill to tailgate for sale $425.00

Pro's

no shipping I can go get it on the sons little trailer easy
Price for the whole mess is less then a import hood and shipping
There is also a 3A Windshield frame which may or may not be in better shape then mine
If I can sell off the Tub and other parts the Hood and Windshield could end up free. (but the seller has had this for sale for 3 months so far no takers)

Con's

I do not really have the space to store another Tub fenders etc.
Same amount of work to prep the hood as grinding mine down (assuming its in no worse shape)
Big hit to my budget with no decrease in work load (in fact it would be a big increase in work load as I would have to take time to fetch it and then sell off the excess)

Buying a New USA made hood from Classic will run $647.00 to my door

Pro's
Minimal Work if it fits and isn't damaged in shipment (keep in mind both rear side panels required a lot of work to get to fit)

CON'S
COST would kill my Budget until First of Nov when I can cash out my vacation time

Buying a New Import hood from Walcks will run $549.00 to my door

Pro's
again less work depending on fit and condition upon arrival
$98.00 less to my door then Classic hood

Cons
Same as Classic a budget killer

Local Jeep parts guy has a couple of decent hoods (no clue as to condition or cost yet) which I would assume end up as much work as my original or the 3A Whole body deal for work)

Any used hood is going to be the same amount of work as mine and unless sourced local will cost plenty just in shipping.

I have a feeler out to Ron Fitzpatric hoping he has a new hood as he is close enough to take a road trip and fetch it. $75.00 in gas and 8 hours drive time.

SO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2017 at 11:44pm
Used hood would be my opinion you didn't ask for.

I say this because import hoods still need a good bit of work (not like the oilcanning of an original but more like smoothing up spot weld dimples)

Also there have been posted remarks as to using repop hoods and original cowls. (the hood bracing seemed to fit too tight and pinch at the cowl)

Nothing that can't be fixed but I've read about your tolerances and just wanted you to know that mixing the two may not be just a 'bolt on and go' like you would like for it to be.....seems to be for the best fit, original with original and repop with repop.

FYI, Just so you will be aware.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 2:09am
Caution appreciated rocnroll I had not heard about the fitment problem with the repop hoods.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 2:49am
So had the whole weekend off due to type of work I am currently doing (hauling Cider Rock to be used to spread on the Pass during winter for traction and my truck is staying on the job 60 miles from Home)

I got the outer Head Light buckets sand blasted and Phosphated as well as machined a replacement Beauty ring hold down tab (it was easier for me to machine it from a chunk of steel then to try to fold one from sheet). Had a heck of a time welding it on though took three trys. Also blasted the lower steering column clamp ready for paint. I got some repair done on the tailgate. And I made a new Stencil for the Hood Art Work. And I wasted a bunch of time worrying about using the Original hood or finding a replacement.

Tomorrow I will get the headlight bucket inners and outers painted And maybe work on the tailgate some more.

I found a good way to straighten the top tube using a piece of 2x2 heavy wall tubing and a Large C clamp to pull it straight. Worked quit well.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 2:53am
They can be spread fairly easily but that just means something else to do. I've never dealt with it personally but do have a repop hood I've never tried to fit on anything but had already come up with a plan in mind to fix one should need be.

I don't really think it would be a big deal but just wanted you to know it has been discussed in the past.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 141>