Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

About to build my first transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About to build my first transfer case
    Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 2:01am
I'm getting ready to build my first transfer case. Im going to use a 3.15 gearset and am planning on ordering the parts in the next week or so but have a few questions. First, the pictures of the Teraflex kit don’t show the bearings for the output shaft. Are these in the kit or do I need to source them separately? Anything else I need that’s not included? Also I looked at Herm’s ultra hard intermediate shaft. Is it much better than the one included in the teraflex kit, or is it the same thing?
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 5:08am
Personally I like the Novak rebuild kits. They come complete with all bearings, seals, gaskets, and small parts you need for a complete rebuild, plus detailed instructions. They also supply a hardened intermediate shaft in the kit.
FWIW,
Mike
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 1:40pm
I used the Novak kit on mine and it was very good. I used the Rick Stivers guide too, not really any issues along the way for me.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 1:50pm
In addition to Novak's guide, I followed Stiver's guide as well as Metal Shaper and Schnitzlhaus videos.  I learned different things from all of them.  Installing the O-ring intermediate shaft is tricky without damaging the O-rings.  You might want to check out my youtube series. It chronicles my learning experience rebuilding the D18.  Part 9 discusses preparing the intermediate shaft holes for the O-rings and installting the I/M shaft.  

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 1:58pm
I've been watching these transfer case rebuild threads closely. I am planning on doing the Terraflex 3.15:1 gears in mine this summer. All the information I can get ahead of time the better.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2019 at 2:41pm
NCtoy. You will need...
GROUP 18-04
A-1007----------------D18 front output-----------------------------------------Fafnir 206 K
51575-----------------D18 main output cone (qty 2)-------------------------14131
52883-----------------D18/D20 main output cup (qty 2)---------------------14276

You did not specify D18 or D20 but I am assuming a D18.

The larger 3.15 gear set will be slightly louder than a 2.46 gear set.
So I suggest using the AA intermediate shaft kit. 
The4 AA kit will increase Intermediate bearing life and reduce the TC whine.
The downside to the AA Intermediate shaft kit is that you must take your brand spanking new Tera Flex Intermediate gear and have it bored to accept the Timken taper bearings that are supplied in the AA kit.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 1:35am
Ndnchf- I’ve been watching some videos, but will add yours to the list. 

I had looked at the tapered bearings for the intermediate shaft but talked myself out of them. Will the lower range gearset wear an intermediate shaft faster than a stock one?

The teralow kit seems to come with everything but the bearings oldtime listed, so I don’t want to have to buy a whole rebuild kit just for them. Is the intermediate shaft the same in the teralow kit as in the Novak kit? I feel like I’m overthinking this but I don’t want to have to do this twice. 

Also, any reason not to order the gears from advance adaptors? They have a lower price than teraflex, and I need to order a Bellhousing adaptor anyway. 
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 3:03am
I'm cheap (except that I spent over $800 on a set of gears to go from 2.43 to 3.15!), so I used the intermediate shaft and needle bearings that came with the Tera Low kit. I also ordered the bearings that Ken recommended separately. Seals and gaskets come in the kit and the really cool kids get double lipped seals, but I'm not that cool. The other thing I had to get was the T86AA bearing retainer to use the large hole case. I also replaced the output shaft bushing, which was a bit of a pain in the patute. Add in a couple of different drain plugs from the hardware store and a large NPT tap (I was using a case from a D20) and that about does it.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
 Post Reply Post Reply