Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Added another Jeep to the stable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Added another Jeep to the stable
    Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 3:48pm
We took the JKU to Silver Lake Sand Dunes a few weeks ago.  I've had it off-road before and my wife always worries that I'll break it and not be able to drive it to work on Monday.  We went to the dunes with my sister and brother-in-law.  They were in his 85 CJ-7.  He's the original owner and still has the factory paint.  Beautiful Jeep.  Anyway, after playing on the dunes the wife says we need to get one to play in so you don't break this one.  I was a little shocked that she would suggest buying another Jeep.  

So after looking for the past 3 weeks, we found her new (used) 97 TJ.  Already lifted and ready to go.  There are a few extras like a slip yolk eliminator, quick disconnects, etc.  It's been wheeled, but is still in great shape.  Especially for being a 97.

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2017 at 8:32pm
Congratulations! Nice looking toy there. See it is the 4.0, what transmission?

Slip yoke is a bonus! How is the frame? I would check the frame, where the big hole is on the side, for rot. Dirt and water get in there and it just sits, rotting it out.
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 10:40am
Very nice. I would keep her if I was you. No not the TJ, but the little woman.  I recently (July) just purchased a 2004 LJ. I love it. Came with both hard and soft.  He also threw in a rain cover, duster, bikini and rear cover. Unfortunately, they are for a regular TJ like yours. He also threw in a spice soft top, again for a TJ. I love the LJ and having AC this year has been great. I'm installing a RC 3.25 and BFG 285-75-16's this week on Rubicon rims.  I will have to post some pics later. TJ's are great little jeeps.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Congratulations! Nice looking toy there. See it is the 4.0, what transmission?

Slip yoke is a bonus! How is the frame? I would check the frame, where the big hole is on the side, for rot. Dirt and water get in there and it just sits, rotting it out.

A little embarrassed to say, I'm not sure which transmission it's got.  It's a 5 spd manual, but I'm not sure if it's the AX-15 or not.  I'll have to check on that.  I looked hard at the frame, body mounts, common rust points on the body.  Only thing I found was a spot on the lower part of the windshield frame.  Everything else is very solid.  

Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Very nice. I would keep her if I was you. No not the TJ, but the little woman.  I recently (July) just purchased a 2004 LJ. I love it. Came with both hard and soft.  He also threw in a rain cover, duster, bikini and rear cover. Unfortunately, they are for a regular TJ like yours. He also threw in a spice soft top, again for a TJ. I love the LJ and having AC this year has been great. I'm installing a RC 3.25 and BFG 285-75-16's this week on Rubicon rims.  I will have to post some pics later. TJ's are great little jeeps.

She is definitely a keeper!  Congrats on your LJ.  I love them.  I think once they are lifted and get some nice tires, they look awesome.  Look forward to seeing your pics.

Edited by Freedom21 - 08 Aug. 2017 at 1:23pm
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 2:24pm
From my understanding, it should be the AX-15. As far as I know, it was the only manual with 4X4 put behind the 4.0L through 1999.

I like LJ's because that look more like the old CJ8's, but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of the JK's though, especially the four door models. They just look wrong to me.
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 2:39pm
Manual Clap Should be the AX-15. NV3550 came out in late '99-00.

srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 4:16pm
Congratulations!

Same color and year as mine. 

Dana 35 rear-end? Or did you luck out and score a D44?

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

Congratulations!

Same color and year as mine. 

Dana 35 rear-end? Or did you luck out and score a D44?

I believe it is the AX-15.  And it's got a Dana 35 rear.  Wife and I love the Patriot Blue.  We had an 04 Liberty for about 11 years the same color.  Lifted it, wheeled it.  Good times.  

Originally posted by nmbailey nmbailey wrote:

I like LJ's because that look more like the old CJ8's, but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of the JK's though, especially the four door models. They just look wrong to me.

I do like the CJ8's too.  And like the LJ's, I'm not crazy about the JKU's stock.  Too low and long.  But lifted...  Well, I like mine. 

09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
 Post Reply Post Reply