Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding an Oil temp gauge to 134L and T-90

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding an Oil temp gauge to 134L and T-90
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:36pm
I am seriously thinking about adding electrical temp gauges to the 134 and T-90 thinking I replace the original drain plugs with Brass. Which I could easily drill and tap to accept SW temp sending units. As they have electrical connections right at the sender it would easy to disconnect them for oil changes. Any thoughts?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:31am
Just don't look at the temps, see how high they are, and get scared.  That might be information you don't want.  Sometimes ignorance is... well, maybe not bliss, but acceptable.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:33am
Sounds like a good idea. I am anxious to see what the oil temp is after engine is at normal temp. I noticed my oil pressure is about 40 psi while the water temp is 180 degrees while the engine is at idle speed after start up, but when I take it out on the road the oil pressure drops to around 20 psi, a sure sign that the oil temp continues to climbs while the water temp stays consistent.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:00am
How about pulling dip stick on the L134 once up to temp and shooting the temp with a IR thermometer.  You could probably design a dipstick for the T90 that uses one of the bolt holes for the  shift tower and do the same thing.

More data can be collected by adding temp sensors in the exhaust manifold at each exhaust port and an oxygen sensor exhaust manifold.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:40am
Typically engine oil will run about 15-20 degrees hotter then water temp as to the gear box it varys so much I'll have to find out what a norm is once Chug is on the road.

I drive a 2016 Kenworth Dump truck with a whole 2 sq ft of gauges that show everything from the rear axle temps to the amount of air pressure I am using on the brakes to lift the springs.

I like knowing and I scan gauges as I drive always have. One reason I get such good mileage in my truck is I grew up driving Chug with a Vacuum Gauge on the steering column and got in the habit of having a very light foot when cruising to stretch the fuel.

As to the IR thermostat Idea it might work but standing on the fender while climbing a long freeway hill might scare the other drivers.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:47am
More useless knowledge. One side of my SBC could run as much as 20 degrees different than the other side of the block. Sometimes the gauges said the same thing but usually not. Just to clarify, this thing has a HD cooling system in it and it rarely saw 140 degrees. It does suck in the winter.
uncamonkey
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:57am
I'd want one on the overdrive unit if anything.  Heck, I might even do that if I can find a suitable sending unit.  
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:56am
Well, the OD should be running the same or cooler than the transfer case depending on if you are in OD or not. It does circulate the same fluid and the only time I have seen an OD go away was from lack of lubricant. I have never seen one go out from too much HP. Member Duffer runs a 383 mouse motor with a cam and my brother ran a built 327 (332) With a cam, 4 BBL and headers on it. I had to rebuild the T 90 twice and the rear axle once.
I've Never had to repair s Warn OD.
OK, I used to drive a '53 Mack and it had a dash full of gauges including a hand fuel pump to start it in cold temps and nothing ever went out of range on it for every any box on it.
Don't worry
Several years ago I read something where they put temp sensors on a Powerstroke gear train and ran it up at full power with something like an 18,000 LB trailer behind it up a steep pass. The temps were still fine but they did it again with aynthetic lube and the rear axle was around 50 deg cooler.
Again, don't worry...
Just make sure it runs.
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Just don't look at the temps, see how high they are, and get scared.  That might be information you don't want.  Sometimes ignorance is... well, maybe not bliss, but acceptable.

I think I'm kind of on this side of things. Of course I am not trained in automotive engineering, in fact I only know what I have learned by experience. So here's an experience that you can decide if it applies or not.

One of my daughters was born severely disabled (mostly a story for another time and place). One of her issues was she would often stop breathing for a few seconds at a time. For years we worried that she would stop breathing for permanent while we were all sleeping. We finally got an alarmed oxygen monitor that we hooked up at night. So every night, several times a night, the alarm would go off waking my wife and me and often her other sisters in a panic thinking our daughter was dead in the next room. We would go in there and she would be fine, sleeping away while the rest of us were turning to jelly.

We did this for several months and finally decided that she had lived this long with all of us sleeping through the night not knowing that she had stopped breathing for a few seconds sometime in the night, and that the rest of us would probably die ourselves if we kept waking up several times a night in a panic, so we got rid of the monitor. Our daughter was fine and the rest of us were able to sleep in blissful ignorance.

I think if I had a bunch of gauges showing me stuff about every assembly on my rig, I probably would be too nervous to get on the trail, or if I did I would be so busy looking at all the guages I would wind up over the edge of a cliff or wearing the guy in front of me's spare tire around my neck.

Once again, I don't know much. I'm a librarian so take it for what it's worth. Probably not much.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:53am
Why stop at just oil temps? Dont forget about a set of brake pressure gauges to make sure your brakes are biased right, fuel pressure gauge, air/fuel mixture indicator, hour meter, tire pressure monitors, altimeter, inclinometer...... A whole range of possibilities!!!! Might need a bigger dash panel, though

Edited by gmcjr - 24 May 2017 at 10:57am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:55pm
I'm with some of the others on this.  One of the things I find so remarkable about these old Willys vehicles is the sheer simplicity they offer.   For me, it adds to the whole experience.  They are rolling time capsules.
Heck, most folks that check out my 3A are fascinated by the passenger manual wiper.  They just won't leave it alone.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:29pm
Athawk11 brings up a very good point regarding sheer simplicity.  That coupled with the engineering practices of the time created a vehicle that did not require a lot of additional gauges.  If assembled and maintained properly they are capable of meeting the design requirements.  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:00pm
Kind of like the T-Shirt that a member here sells "Engineered for war, built for fun" 

You can overthink, overbuild every system if that is what you choose to do. Or, you can as Stev stated, assemble it correctly, maintain in properly and enjoy driving it. Nothing wrong with either method. I guess there is a third method, don't do anything until it breaks and then fix it. We all know individuals like that and they enjoy their Willys just as much as anyone else.

Mark you obviously enjoy designing, engineering and fabricating, I admire the work you are doing on your build. Personally it is not for me, doesn't make me think any less of you nor does it make me want to tell you how you should build or drive your Jeep.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

Why stop at just oil temps? Dont forget about a set of brake pressure gauges to make sure your brakes are biased right, fuel pressure gauge, air/fuel mixture indicator, hour meter, tire pressure monitors, altimeter, inclinometer...... A whole range of possibilities!!!! Might need a bigger dash panel, though

Actually I will have a Fuel PSI gauge mounted on the Pressure regulator. I intend on having the H-21 helicopter Altimeter my dad brought home from when he was a Helo mechanic in the National Guard and took with us on every adventure and trip we went on all through the 60's and 70's it will mount above the rear view mirror in the hard top. The inclinometer and tilt meter will mount on the defrost manifold center of the windshield.

None of them including the Oil temp gauges will be going in the Dash. The oil temp gauges will most likely be either in a pod below the dash or I might put them on the tunnel in a pod.

Keep in mind I am not restoring a Willys I am building one from parts. I currently have parts from 22-23 different jeeps from 1946 to 1972 in Chug. So how ever I want is up to me.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:44pm
I definitely think that its your rig, do what you want. 

Edited by smfulle - 26 May 2017 at 6:30am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I currently have parts from 22-23 different jeeps from 1946 to 1972 in Chug. So how ever I want is up to me.

Don't forget all the darn-cool homemade parts.  It absolutely is up to you. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I currently have parts from 22-23 different jeeps from 1946 to 1972 in Chug. So how ever I want is up to me.

Don't forget all the darn-cool homemade parts.  It absolutely is up to you. 

For me thats more then 1/2 the fun
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply