Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tried the production W/O carbs yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried the production W/O carbs yet?
    Posted: 29 June 2017 at 12:27am

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 12:35am
I'd be interested as well however given the historical track record nothing new has ever been better than the seven year-old stuff we're trying to replace
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 12:44am
I was able to attend the MVPA Cleveland convention last week.  Joes Motor Pool had their stuff to sell.  It looks well-made and their prices are good.  Their 539S carbs look very sweet.  In a few years it will be hard to spot them.  I know the 539S pretty well and JMP's versions are very close.  I bought several things, including a lever-action fuel pump.  Their wartime water pumps look exact to me and are made with modern seals, for $60.  I think some of their stuff is made in the UK and other parts in China.  The quality is impressive.  I think Ron Fitzpatrick is selling their parts now. 

The Chinese can make excellent stuff if they want to.  It would be a mistake to underestimate their technical abilities.  No, I don't get anything from JMP and I don't think I'm Chinese.  Big smile

Edited by tamnalan - 29 June 2017 at 12:54am
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
nmbailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nmbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

The Chinese can make excellent stuff if they want to.  It would be a mistake to underestimate their technical abilities.  No, I don't get anything from JMP and I don't think I'm Chinese.  Big smile

The Chinese can make excellent stuff if the US based company actually cares about the quality of product they sell and actually have "quality control" to verify.
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ
1988 Mazda B2200
1947 CJ2a s/n 123737 - Soon to be in progress... for the last 6 years...
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by nmbailey nmbailey wrote:

Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

The Chinese can make excellent stuff if the US based company actually cares about the quality of product they sell and actually have "quality control" to verify.

X2 Quality control is the key.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 12:31am
I bet you guys are right.  What's good are JMP's prices, which seem very reasonable for the quality they offer.

I stand corrected on the WO carb - I must have been looking at their 698S at Cleveland.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Ford GP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford GP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2017 at 8:01pm
I think Lew Ladwig just installed one, perhaps he chime in.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 11:30pm
Is there anyone who actually has one of these new carbs? Has anyone heard anything about them?
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 4:24am
Was wondering the same
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 4:38am
I have one on my MB and love it. They come set pretty well out of the box. Also I got mine from Ron Fitzpatrick so service was great.
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 1:04pm
   I just looked at Russ' link to the eBay page.
That is a fine looking carburetor !

When did these become available ?

I think this is terrific that someone is reproducing this WO model carb.
We tend to forget how old '40's vintage parts really are. And, it is amazing how well the old willys have weathered the decades of abuse by man and weather.

Some of the best high speed drill bits I have used were some that were made in China back in the '80's and sold by Price-Club (Costco).

If you want my opinion, the Solex "Clone" carbs are a POS. just my take from having to work on one that happened to have been installed on my willys by the previous owner. Dumb-me, at the time I bought the willys, I had no clue of what a Solex willys carb was.   I know that the old VW bugs I had owned in the past did have Solex carbs. The machining on the Clone is terrible and the replacement gaskets don't fit worth a hoot. Some of the screws that holds the accelerator pump cover-to-body were too long.

I am very encouraged by seeing these new Carter 'clones' being available.

Len
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 1:38pm
I'd like to see a video review of one of these new carbs installed on a jeep.  Then put through its paces - highway driving, off road, steep inclines, cold weather starting etc.  Looking pretty and shiny on the outside means little if the inside isn't manufactured to the original precision and tolerances.    I hope they are as good as they look, but I'm skeptical.  Scout Pilot would be the perfect guy to review it.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2019 at 1:28am
I decided to purchase one on put it on last week. I still had trouble starting but then tonight I tried it again and now my jeep is starting alot easier and seems to be running more efficiently. I have only driven it up and down the driveway and everything seems good. Depending on the weather I will drive it tomorrow. I am not really qualified to give a review but I will try to post some pics and give my opinion once I test it a little more. I was having a terrible time trying to get it started and thought it was a battery/electrical problem (still need to get a new battery). After connecting with someone on facebook, he suggested it might be the carb (which I had bought rebuilt but not sure how good the rebuild was). I didn't feel comfortable rebuilding a carb and wanted to remove my inexperience from the equation. Also, thought, why not try the new one. All I know for now is it starts more like it should and seems to run well. Here is  pic:

Edited by Alpine - 23 Feb. 2019 at 1:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply