Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Apparently, I need to go on a diet...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apparently, I need to go on a diet...
    Posted: 09 Apr. 2017 at 11:12pm
So my sister called me this morning and said her '09 Dodge Journey stranded her. Sounded like a dead battery. Told her I'd be right over, threw the volt meter and basic hand tools in the car. I get there and pop the hood. I know I'm not that bright, but I could not figure out where the battery was. At the risk of being less manly, I looked it up on U-tube. You have to take the driver's side wheel off, the fender apron and its on a shelf just behind the bumper. Stern Smile.

So I thought I would play along and got the jack out, lug wrench etc. She just got new tires a month ago. Apparently, Mongo at the tire shop set the wrench to 200 ft lbs+ . Using the factory lug wrench, I could not bust them loose. So I stand on the wrench and bounce on it. I feel it start to turn, but its not getting any easier. I look at the wrench (its never been used before by the way):

Not good for the self esteem. Apparently, I need to lose a few lbs...Embarrassed I have never seen such cheap crap in my life. Unbelievable. So I had to drive home, get all kinds of tools and my floor jack- have NO confidence in the factory one at this point. I set my torque wrench to 200 ft lbs, that's as high as it goes and it clicked before I busted each one loose. Of course, all the chrome caps came off the nuts and stuck in my socket. Hammering them out with a screw driver, they all broke. What a fiasco. Needless to say all the clips holding the fender apron snapped off. So, in a nutshell three hours later, she has a new battery. Censored

Big Fat Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 09 Apr. 2017 at 11:16pm
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 12:00am
It sounds like one of my days. My neighbor got a battery powered rattle wrench. He hunts around to find things to use it on. He came over to help me change the wheels on the 3B and got a confused look when I told him that I would tighten up the lug nuts. You use the same tools that you my need to remove them nuts out in the back country.
uncamonkey
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 11:18am
I just can't believe I was able to bend the factory lug wrench. I've used that technique my whole life and have never seen anything like that.
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2017 at 12:12pm
Don't know much about 09 dodge journeys, but that sure looks like import trash! x2 on "unbelievable" I find this especially hard to take being from Mi. when any auto part was best in the world. Your sister is lucky to have you around to help. Joe wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
 Post Reply Post Reply