Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Arvin Heater spotted in 47 2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arvin Heater spotted in 47 2a
    Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 12:45pm
Had the 3a at a local jeep club show.  There were over 200 jeeps and these guys built a rock garden for the crawlers to play in.  I parked next to a survivor red 47 CJ2a.  It had been found in a garage in Columbus, IN and has a working Arvin heater. Arvin Industries was located in Columbus.  I posted about it on our blog

My dad designed radios for Arvin Industries and I worked in the automotive area during the summers when I was in college.  Arvin made all kinds of products, including a line of car heaters dating from the late 1930s.

I don't have a heater in either of our jeeps and haven't paid much attention to that option.  But would be interested if anyone else might have an Arvin heater.

https://www.farmjeep.com/
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 12:55pm
I have and use two of those model Arvins. One in my '53 Willys pickup and one in a '46 Chevy pickup. The heater core tubes and mount bolts all go through the firewall, so some careful positioning and planning needs to be done. You can make a paper template of all and use that as a guide for mounting. The knob on the front is a rheostat fan speed for the blower. It has a bulb under it that lights up when on. Depending on the floor angle and dash clearance, you may need a custom spacer between the heater and firewall. You close all the doors and the exit ports become defrosters. Works very well if you run a 180 thermostat in the winter. Wink

Redhead, Harrison, Arvin, were all common aftermarket heater manufacterers. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2017 at 1:14pm
There is a 1941 catalog at https://www.facebook.com/pg/PreservingArvin/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1231940790207685  It shows car specific models (of course no jeep then!) but I'm assuming this was the "Universal" model.

I've contacted the people who run the Preserving Arvin site to see if they continued to produce heaters after the war.

Thanks for the info. 
https://www.farmjeep.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply