Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At A Crossroads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At A Crossroads
    Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:06am
Hey guys....This forum has been amazing, lots of great people and information, and I cant thank you enough for all of your time and help. Owning an old Wilys has always been a dream of mine. I bought her about a month ago from a guy in the Navy, said he was deploying and needed to sell his baby....which he'd just finished a year long restoration on....had pics, talked about honor and integrity....and completely screwed me over. I'm an older 100% disabled veteran, so money and heavy work on the Willys is beyond me. I'm $11,000 into my dream that I was told was a show quality Willys....this guy spent more time and money hiding stuff than actually rebuilding it.....my budget is blown all to hell.
A day after I got it , it completely quit running. The $650 receipt he had for all the electrical wiring was evidently fake and the whole electrical system was wired wrong. Replaced that, rebuilt the carb, cleaned the fuel line and gas tank....and it runs.
This week second gear almost completely crapped out, it'll shift into second fine, but unless I keep light gas on it it starts to chatter and kicks out of gear. Got under the Willys today and what this guy had done was completely coat the transfer caser and transmission with RTV....now its leaking everywhere and coming through the RTV and dust that hid it all. Took it to the one shop we have and they said both the tranny and transfer case are trashed. I'm kinda devastated at this point.
One option pointed out to me was Kaiser Wiilys has assembled transmissions ($974) and transfer cases ($1071), just bolt them on, everything you need already done. The shop said they'd do that, but dont want to rebuild the stuff I have. What do you guys think of this option? Knowing everything is beat up, would you also replace the output shaft gear and sliding gear?
My biggest fear is spending $2100 doing this, and the engine craps out or something. Any other options you can think of?

Edited by Cinnabear - 02 July 2018 at 4:09am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:42am
http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/rebuilt-transfer-cases

http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/t-90-transmissions

Herm is both cheaper and closer.  And, personally, I have never had a bad experience with him.

Herm has TeraLow cases for less than what you were quoted.  And where was the shop you took it to?  I'm trying to think of who I would take an old Jeep to around here and don't have a good answer.  I don't let anyone but me touch mine.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 5:04am
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/rebuilt-transfer-cases

http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/t-90-transmissions

Herm is both cheaper and closer.  And, personally, I have never had a bad experience with him.

Herm has TeraLow cases for less than what you were quoted.  And where was the shop you took it to?  I'm trying to think of who I would take an old Jeep to around here and don't have a good answer.  I don't let anyone but me touch mine.

And thats why I love you guys, thank you Duffer....looking at Herms page, what would you roll with? Within reason, what would be the best setup for an 1947 with the original L134?
As to the shop, I'm in Red Lodge...the guys who have worked on it are great guys, but they have so much going on this is just something they are hesitant to take on....but they do good work. I think they've also seen what this guy did and are afraid to get too far into it. I'd be ok doing some light stuff myself, but its a combination of my body being broken, and taking care of my Mom as she recovers from her stroke (and me not having a space to really do any hardcore work).

Once I get it fixed up (the engine seems to be pretty strong), I can do maintenance no problem. I love to hit the trails and explore.....right now I'm just afraid of hitting the trails and not coming back.

Edited by Cinnabear - 02 July 2018 at 5:10am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 5:21am
If I was doing this and not concerned about the perfect restoration D18 intermediate shaft, I would use this:
the strongest version of the small hole transfercase.

And the rebuilt T90.  But it may be worth asking Herm what he uses for the new gears in the remanufactured version.  If they are crown or omix ada, no way would I touch them.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 11:54am
I hate hearing stuff like this... The past being done, it sounds like you're upside down and the only real question at this point is what is you're tolerance for inversion Disapprove

I also get your shops point of view... they probably aren't hobbyists, have maybe zero experience rebuilding t90/d18s, and want to stand behind their work.  I'm sure they are more than qualified to swap them out, though.

Maybe ask them to split the baby and take out the trans/tc for you to rebuild, and reinstall them for you after you refurb.  I redid mine on an old desktop... a little tedious but doable and actually enjoyable. If you have limited space or tools you'll have to factor those costs in as well.  

Only you can assess what you can do physically or monetarily, but these things are redone by idiots like me all the time Wink

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:58pm
Hi Cinnabear

What I did was I bought a rebuild kit from Walcks and where I worked there was a real Jeep guy and he offered to rebuild the trans if I bought the kit for it...it took him maybe a week working at night at his house garage and we were up and running again...I only drove the Jeep on the road and only maybe dozen times total before I sold it...so I cant tell you how it lasted long term...

I think this is what I bought for him to install....So sorry to hear about the bad purchase...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:13pm
I think I'd look for used ones for sale. I know several of us have replaced perfectly good transfer cases with Tera Lows. Have one sitting on the floor of my garage. Others have replaced their T-90's with lower geared transmissions.

Steve
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:13pm
Yeah this guy really stuck it to me. I could understand if it was something he didnt know....but sending all the pics of his frame off rebuild, videos, etc.....basically it was all a lie....my fault in the end.
I sent an email to Herm this morning, we will see what he says.
I wouldnt mind tinkering on the driveline stuff, but not only is the physicality tedious right now, but I dont want to be tearing apart my Jeep in my Moms house.
I appreciate everyone kind words and help. I'll get this thing going and eventually all will be well....or the Wife will end up throwing me in the creek.....
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:30pm
That's a horrible thing to do to someone. I'll bet he did not event deploy, just said that to push the sale. I think I would find used but properly working units and rebuild them, then replace them.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:40pm
Its sad to me really. We had a high standard, and honor meant a lot to all my guys. I'm bummed, but I take full responsibility for everything....I'll get this sorted and share my experience in pics on the forum.
I talked to Herm this morning, really cool guy. Sent him an email asking to price me a rebuilt setup and new setup, decided to have him include everything I need because I'd hate to get the project underway and find out I need a new main gear or ebrake....I'm going to eat the core charge and keep the old stuff...maybe tinker with it or sell it to someone else in my position who wants to tinker.
The shop in town is gonna put it all together for me....so now my question is whats a reasonable time to bolt in a new transmission and transfer case?
1947 CJ-2A Willys
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:50pm
Not to start mission creep this early but while your guys are in there they might inspect/replace clutch disk, pressure plate, t-o bearing.  They're already right in there and to find out it needs done a short ways down the trail would mean labor x 2.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:53pm
I wish I could just come help you bolt them back in Cry Stay positive man, it will all work out.
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Not to start mission creep this early but while your guys are in there they might inspect/replace clutch disk, pressure plate, t-o bearing.  They're already right in there and to find out it needs done a short ways down the trail would mean labor x 2.

sound advice, a stitch in time and all that. 
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 5:03pm
Luckily(?) the clutch is brand new.....

mission creep....LOL, the wife said exactly the same thing!

Everything will work out eventually. I can drive it to town and back right now (five miles), just have to skip 2nd gear. Not interested in being grizzly food, so the fishing and exploring is on hold for awhile. 

Thanks again guys, I'll keep you updated and hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road. Oh, and if you see anyone selling a Willys from Fallon, NV....be weary and do your due diligence....this guy said he was starting work on another one when he sold me this one.

Edited by Cinnabear - 02 July 2018 at 5:05pm
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 8:56pm
That does sort of suck. Over the years I have been given T 90s or just paid $100 for one. Just keep an eye open and hope that something shows up. Sorry, I got rid of all my old stuff around a year ago. I sold everything through this forum.
I didn't feel bad about passing on parts to other members. The paying it forward bit.
uncamonkey
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 9:12pm
Herms a good egg, you sound like your getting it straighten out.

As far as the shyster who sold it to you. How about posting up his info so no one else gets screwed or maybe we can send the jerk a few dozen messages to show he messed with the wrong group!    We're a close knit and relatively small community here most people know or get to know the other Willys guys in there area.  It really pisses me off he took advantage of you and that he used the "getting Deployed" Line!Angry
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 10:59pm
I saw that Willys advertised, I think, on Craigslist - Fallon, NV. Sounds like he definitely screwed you by misrepresenting the vehicle.

This forum and over on earlycj5.com are good places to buy used parts. I have done a fair amount of business with Herm and he is straight up and knows his Jeeps.

I wish you good luck with your project.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 12:12am
I didnt want to post his name.....but the add is still up with a (SOLD) link. He had it posted on several sites (classic cars for sale and WillysForSale are two I saw it on).
The part that really bugged me was the long talk we had about honor and integrity, and service. I explained to him I was a 100% disabled veteran taking care of my Mom who had a stroke. I told him I just needed a little something for some "Me Time" that I could use to go to town or for fishing in the area. He offered to deliver it cuz he said he wanted to see the area....so I even paid for his hotel room in town. 
I called him the next day when it died and he said it was weird, never had a problem with it.....then never answered another text or phone call.
It rained a couple days later and all the paint started coming off in the rain......
Makes me mad to think that I'd give the shirt off my back to help a service member or fellow veteran out, as would any of my buddies. Hell I'd pretty much give the shirt off my back to anyone in need.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>