Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At A Crossroads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 12:58am
IT STILL SUCKS. I'm sorry I can't do much for you. I used to go to Denver whenever my father was in the VA hospital. Anzio vet. I talked to a lot of guys and learned a lot from them.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:32am
Cinnabear said: "The shop in town is gonna put it all together for me....so now my question is whats a reasonable time to bolt in a new transmission and transfer case?"

My Chilton's Motor Age Flat Rate book says the labor charge is based on 6.25 hrs. of labor at the going rate, to R&R (Remove and Reinstall the same one) or replace (Remove one and put in another) the transmission. Any repairs along the way would, of course, be extra. My Motor's Flat Rate & Parts Manual gives 4.2 hours for the same operation. Maybe that's why, when I was in the business, we preferred the Chilton's book. Big smile Since the transfer case has to come out anyway to replace the transmission, replacement of the T/Case should be "Inc", or included. Ask your shop what their hourly shop rate is and do the math.

Keep in mind, if a shop does the entire job, they would (Hopefully) guarantee both the parts and labor, and if anything goes bad, they would take care of it. If they install "your" parts, they will (again, hopefully) guarantee their labor (They did the job right) but if a bad part causes trouble, they will naturally not stand behind it. This can become a gray area of many shades and cause hard feelings among other things. I'm sure your shop knows this and if they're willing to install parts that you bring in from somewhere else, then more power to them. Just make sure you have an understanding with them ahead of time.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

IT STILL SUCKS. I'm sorry I can't do much for you. I used to go to Denver whenever my father was in the VA hospital. Anzio vet. I talked to a lot of guys and learned a lot from them.
Yeah it does suck. Guy is an MP there in Fallon at the Naval Air Station. I wouldnt have been AS angry if the guy wasnt well off. Driving an $80,000 truck and talking about his second house in Florida.....just leaves a bad taste. I spent most of my Military career at Ft Bragg, NC and actually met a lot of WWII guys from the 82nd and 101st that were a hoot....guys that saw some crazy stuff and had 5+ combat jumps...the greatest of men in my eyes. 
Actually, you guys have been amazing helping me get this thing at least running and headed in the right direction.......any of you make over near me and you make sure to let me know so we can meet up for dinner or lunch. I'm not too far from Yellowstone and if you have time I'll show you some of the best fishing in the world.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Cinnabear said: "The shop in town is gonna put it all together for me....so now my question is whats a reasonable time to bolt in a new transmission and transfer case?"

My Chilton's Motor Age Flat Rate book says the labor charge is based on 6.25 hrs. of labor at the going rate, to R&R (Remove and Reinstall the same one) or replace (Remove one and put in another) the transmission. Any repairs along the way would, of course, be extra. My Motor's Flat Rate & Parts Manual gives 4.2 hours for the same operation. Maybe that's why, when I was in the business, we preferred the Chilton's book. Big smile Since the transfer case has to come out anyway to replace the transmission, replacement of the T/Case should be "Inc", or included. Ask your shop what their hourly shop rate is and do the math.

Keep in mind, if a shop does the entire job, they would (Hopefully) guarantee both the parts and labor, and if anything goes bad, they would take care of it. If they install "your" parts, they will (again, hopefully) guarantee their labor (They did the job right) but if a bad part causes trouble, they will naturally not stand behind it. This can become a gray area of many shades and cause hard feelings among other things. I'm sure your shop knows this and if they're willing to install parts that you bring in from somewhere else, then more power to them. Just make sure you have an understanding with them ahead of time.    BW
Yeah the shop here is great. Really good guys, father son shop thats been in business for years...and are relatives of some close family friends....they spent hours tracking down a lot of the electrical issues and got the fuel issue sorted out for me. I'm sure theyll be good to me. I'm at this point just trying to see what I need to  budget and make a plan.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Cinnabear Cinnabear wrote:

I wouldnt have been AS angry if the guy wasnt well off. Driving an $80,000 truck and talking about his second house in Florida.....just leaves a bad taste.

I'll give you one guess as to HOW the scumbag got to be well off...  I hate thieves and con men.  Angry
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:19am
Hey, I posted my Willys over on the pics/project forum under Mountain Goat.

I mean this sincerely, if any of you ever make it up here I'll show you a good time (not "that" kind of good time, get your minds out of the gutter!).
I live on Highway 212, Charles Karault called it the most beautiful road in America....about 5 miles up from me it switchbacks up the Rockies to 11,500 feet of heaven....full of trout lakes and jeep trails (and grizzly bears and wolves)....before coming down into Cooke City and Yellowstone Park (actually right into the best part of ther park, the Lamar Valley)....this would be an awesome Willys rally/Campout/Expedition someday (once I'm up and running). I'd be more than happy to play guide and even smoke a brisket for you guys.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:51am
I can see it now--"Join the Yellowstone Jeep Tour!"  Could be a great new annual event!  Clap
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:52am
I'll say it again. if you ere close your gearboxes would be in my garage.
I used to clean up about 5 a day and them put them back together the next afternoon. The WW2 vet I worked for was an aircraft engine and airframe mechanic Then again he used to build motors for the Pikes Peak races. I learned a lot there. Another friend was a race bike builder. He told me the right things to do on my Harley. It scared people even if it was still a 80 ci motor
uncamonkey
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:55am
I'll have to check the map-I don't google well just another old bastage myself. I have solid good people in Dillon MT and get thru there onced or twiced a year. Same SW Mt area I believe.  I was impressed you did not post the #*% guy's name  shows restraint and a "it's my own fault to trust" mentality. Many sale sites will back you if you can prove mis-representation-just a thought. Mountain Goat looks good from the pics 

Edited by RICKG - 03 July 2018 at 2:58am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 2:57am
omg.  The Beartooth Pass run would be epic!  We have Meteetsee Trail 2 miles down the road which is beautiful, ends up in Belfry. There’s a historic mine there where 80 guys died. And the Bear Creek Saloon that has pig racing on weekends. 
Going up over the pass is spectacular, and there’s several amazing trails around Cooke City.   We need to make this happen someday. 
1947 CJ-2A Willys
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:02am
Pig racing? You sh!tting me? Sounds like my kinda outing!
Montana's a big place but I found Red Lodge and hwy 212.

Edited by RICKG - 03 July 2018 at 5:08am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:19am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Pig racing? You sh!tting me? Sounds like my kinda outing!
Montana's a big place, narrow your location with a city OK?
The Bearcreek Saloon and Steakhouse!!!! During the summer they do pig racing on weekends. They play the horse racing trumpet, the pigs wear racing colors....its quite the spectacle. Definitely a must if you are in the area.
I live in Red Lodge, its a nice town of about 2500 people, 55 miles southwest of Billings, MT. Hwy 212 runs right through town and up over the pass/Rockies. Really amazing place, and truly amazing people.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:20am
" We need to make this happen someday. "

Wink You don't know what you're getting yourself into. But I'll be there, and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help you out.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:25am

I'll have to check the map-I don't google well just another old bastage myself. I have solid good people in Dillon MT and get thru there onced or twiced a year. Same SW Mt area I believe.  I was impressed you did not post the #*% guy's name  shows restraint and a "it's my own fault to trust" mentality. Many sale sites will back you if you can prove mis-representation-just a thought. Mountain Goat looks good from the pics 
Dillon is a great place, I fish over in that area occasionally. Mostly up in Twin Bridges and the Tobacco Root Mountains....my best Dillon story is getting a hotel there one night on our way through....my friend opens the door and theres a homeless guy sleeping on the bed....someone had left the window open when cleaning the room.

Yeah I'd never post the guys name, in the end its done and over with, and its my fault for being so trusting. I am happy to post my experience, and where the guy is from....especially since he said he was gonna build another one. If I can protect anyone from my experience I'll do so happily....mostly just want people to diligent in checking out a vehicle before buying
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

" We need to make this happen someday. "

Wink You don't know what you're getting yourself into. But I'll be there, and I'm willing to do whatever I can to help you out.  BW
I know exactly what I'm getting myself into....its so rare to find such good people willing to spend their time at the keyboard helping a perfect stranger....and nothing would make me happier than getting to meet you guys in person.
1947 CJ-2A Willys
On Jeep About View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On Jeep About Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:34am

Dillon is a great place, I fish over in that area occasionally. Mostly up in Twin Bridges and the Tobacco Root Mountains....my best Dillon story is getting a hotel there one night on our way through....my friend opens the door and theres a homeless guy sleeping on the bed....someone had left the window open when cleaning the room.

Yeah I'd never post the guys name, in the end its done and over with, and its my fault for being so trusting. I am happy to post my experience, and where the guy is from....especially since he said he was gonna build another one. If I can protect anyone from my experience I'll do so happily....mostly just want people to diligent in checking out a vehicle before buying
On Jeep About View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On Jeep About Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:56am

you know what🤔the most fun I have is when I’m On A Jeep About🤠🤠🤠. I understand your discouragement, as I am a veteran my self. But please don’t hold this against the Jeep. It has a good home now and you two will have lots of fun together.
Dad gave my brother and I a Jeep at about 12 years old, sister got a horse. Brother and I still have our jeeps. They are our buddies. The adventures they created are priceless.
On Jeep about
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 4:02am
oh I am discouraged... but I’ll never give up. I’ve actually owned one non Jeep in my life.  First was an ‘84 CJ7, last before this was a 2015 JKU.  This Willys is gonna be my forever vehicle

Edited by Cinnabear - 03 July 2018 at 5:12am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>