Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At A Crossroads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:06am
The T-90 transmission does have a synchro for 2nd and 3rd gear.  Age has nothing to do with a non-working downshift to 2nd.  I wonder how many people who are experienced with old CJs looked at this one and refused the deal.  Sorry to say it, but this guy saw you coming.  He's still a scumbucket weasel who will get what's coming to him some day.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:13am
yeah that is exactly what I told him there’s no synchro for 1st, but there is for 2nd/3rd.  Every time I confronted him with facts he just deflected and finally told me the conversation was going nowhere and to go ahead and contact his CofC, that they wouldn’t do anything. 
I’ve owned one non-Jeep vehicle in my life (first was an 84 CJ7, last was a 2015 JKU Rubi) this is my first Willys, but not my first rodeo. I forwarded the texts to a friend and asked him if I was crazy or out of line. He noticed the same thing I did, that the guy just deflected and dint answer any direct questions (what was leaking if not the tranny/TC.....what new parts he installed....that he did the paint himself in his garage). He told me to just part it out for more money than I bought it for and told me he’d no longer respond. 
I’m seriously considering following through on contacting his command. There’s just too much here that screams integrity issue 

Edited by Cinnabear - 07 July 2018 at 7:15am
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:52am
Did you see the big fish hook? the last Jeep I bought was $1235.00. A 69 Commando. I got my other Jeep for $2000. Sorry, you got screwed. It isn't like I like what you are going through. I would have sold you the Commando for what I paid for it including the winch and all. WTF, I threw in a newer rear axle too a few years ago
You can get my 3B when you pry it out of cold dead hands.
I get people running out of the forest that flag me down.
I had an old lady friend that asked me what I would keep. Yep, the 3B and the Volvo. I should have kept the 164 Volvo. Lead sled. I had a guy mess with me heading into the tunnel. Crap, I was doing over 100 MPH when I got there.

b
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 8:25am
Deliberate misrepresentation does sound kinda fraud-like, which leans toward the criminal... ask your local prosecutor for a legal opinion, just for the heck of it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:07am
About half of what I type is a joke but if I talk about Jeeps or Volvos. Im telling you the truth
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 12:22pm
The guy didn’t tell you anything you didn’t already know, albeit the hard way.  So, here you are.  As an engineer I’m trained to dispassionately “work the problem”.  Anything that doesn’t forward a solution is wasted effort.  What follows is my opinion.

There are aholes out there, you found one.  You’re not going to rehabilitate him, and seeking a pound of flesh is a little vindictive.  Go ahead and report him to his higher up if you need to, but that does nothing to fix your jeep. If your efforts don’t go directly towards undoing the deal, getting some money back, or moving on and fixing what looks like a better starting point than I had, it has more to do with embarrassment... been there.  

I’d have a chat with my attorney generals office and get a feel for whats involved with private deals. It may not be a NV/MT thing cuz he came to you.  Maybe look into small claims court.

When I was looking I drove five hours, ten round trip, to test drive a “frame off restoration”.  Guy was asking 14k.  Pictures were great.  It was really good looking, until i got there.  Turns out the pics were old.  Wear and tear everywear.  It was missing a lot of some basic stuff (sometimes it’s easier to see what‘s wrong rather than what’s not there).  Dings, paint chips and scratches, snaps missing, rust pools around the plugs... The test drive revealed a really solid vibration and driveline growl that I’ve come to figure was likely TC midshaft at a minimum.  Guy had every right to ask whatever he wanted for his 7k jeep, but it takes two.  

Work the problem...

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

The guy didn’t tell you anything you didn’t already know, albeit the hard way.  So, here you are.  As an engineer I’m trained to dispassionately “work the problem”.  Anything that doesn’t forward a solution is wasted effort.  What follows is my opinion.

There are aholes out there, you found one.  You’re not going to rehabilitate him, and seeking a pound of flesh is a little vindictive.  Go ahead and report him to his higher up if you need to, but that does nothing to fix your jeep. If your efforts don’t go directly towards undoing the deal, getting some money back, or moving on and fixing what looks like a better starting point than I had, it has more to do with embarrassment... been there.  

I’d have a chat with my attorney generals office and get a feel for whats involved with private deals. It may not be a NV/MT thing cuz he came to you.  Maybe look into small claims court.

When I was looking I drove five hours, ten round trip, to test drive a “frame off restoration”.  Guy was asking 14k.  Pictures were great.  It was really good looking, until i got there.  Turns out the pics were old.  Wear and tear everywear.  It was missing a lot of some basic stuff (sometimes it’s easier to see what‘s wrong rather than what’s not there).  Dings, paint chips and scratches, snaps missing, rust pools around the plugs... The test drive revealed a really solid vibration and driveline growl that I’ve come to figure was likely TC midshaft at a minimum.  Guy had every right to ask whatever he wanted for his 7k jeep, but it takes two.  

Work the problem...

Much truth spoken here.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 12:52pm
What he said above. You're going to eat yourself up over this if you let it. As a disabled vet, I imagine your health is not 100%. Ongoing angst over this could be more detrimental to your health than its worth. You have made your point with him. Its time to move on and focus your efforts on getting the jeep roadworthy. You have a good plan with Herm, move forward. The therapy of driving the repaired jeep will ease the pain.

Best of luck
Steve
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 12:52pm
Caveat Emptor, latin for "buyer beware" basically says without a written warranty the buyer is screwed, unless it was misrepresented to the point of fraud. Rereading the add, notice where he says "gone thru" instead of rebuild, and in his reply, states shifted good or run good for me.(pretty subjective terms) I think MB right, maybe try and get some money back but take the lemon and make lemonade. IMHO Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 1:58pm
I'm not saying that the guy isn't a scumbag.  I don't know him, so I can't speak for him.  But there are people who just don't really know what they are talking about.  Maybe he spent $10,000 on it.  A lot of people would think that, add some value for the labor and it ought to be worth $13,000.  We all know it's not, but maybe he didn't.  Everything else also COULD be that he thought is was great but just didn't have a clue.  Again, I'm not saying that's the case here, just offering another possibility.  If someone tells you something that's not true, it's only a lie if he knows it isn't true.

And as others have said, your attitude, feelings and mental health are in your hands.  Yes the situation sucks.  But what are you going to do about it?  If you think you can and should go after him legally, that's obviously a possibility.  But otherwise, what are your options?  Slamming him publicly might make it less likely that he'll do it again and therefore might be a public service, but otherwise doesn't help you.  And I'm NOT saying you've been wrong to vent here!  Just that ultimately how you feel about it is up to you.

And good luck with the Jeep project!  (they are all projects, no matter what condition they are at the start)

Edited by Nothing Special - 07 July 2018 at 2:05pm
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 3:42pm
I’m really sorry guys for venting over this. Maybe the forum gods can move this to the “off topic” section or something.  I feel bad for this junking up the forums. 
I talked to the wife and she said to just let it go and we will eventually get it running. Shared the texts with a buddy and he agreed the guy is a scumbag and liar, but not a lot to be done. 
I appreciate all the help and minds words.  Moving on....now we have good project material. 
1947 CJ-2A Willys
PackRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 5:33pm
This is a sad affair....on the one hand we have a less than 100% mechanically inclined buyer who took what the seller told him at face value and bought that POS. On the other hand we have an unscrupulous seller who either is the dumbest SOB or is smart like a fox (I tend to see the seller as the latter).

So, where to go from here? As I have gotten older I have learned to understand the phrase "caveat emptor" might mean to some that the buyer is at fault here for not being as mechanically as inclined as he needed to be to sort out this POS BEFORE forking over his money. It might also mean that the seller wasn't smart enough to know the faults of the vehicle and explain them in detail BEFORE the sale was completed in language even a novice could understand.

It can also mean that while the buyer needs to be as aware as possible about checking out the vehicle BEFORE buying it, there are "scumbags" who will knowingly sell a defective vehicle if they find a buyer who isn't sharp enough to sort that out BEFORE the sale.

I think this is the case here....Now, where to go from here? Well, you won't get your money back but unless your religion prevents you from exacting some retribution here, you are well within your rights to OUT this bum

I had a guy on the G503 site buy a GPA engine from me and he never completed the deal which was to provide me with a GPW engine. That's called theft in my book. Since he lives in Belgium, Jaap Reitveld is not easy to get at. He's ripped off so many people he doesn't announce the jeep meets he will attend or when he might "drop by" to pick up stuff he has bought.

I never got the engine, but I did raise awareness on G503 and...I got him permanently banned from the G503. That was the best I could do.

Bringing this back to your situation I am 100% behind the idea you send a letter to the Base Commander at Fallon and the JAG officer if they have one and very politely explain the issue in no more than TWO pages. Be sure that both of them know the other is getting a copy. Beyond that, I think it VERY important you post his name here and prevent another newbie from this guy.

He has no conscience obviously, but Base Commanders and the military in general don't allow con men/women in their ranks and certainly after getting a letter like this are reluctant to file it away and ignore it if the problem comes up later on. Maybe you can ask that YOUR letter be put into his file as a warning to any service persons considering him for anything that requires either some ethics or some honesty.

Print his name, rank and serial number if you have it and send the letters. Be sure you note that he dared you to send them as he believed nothing would happen to him if you did.
GPW-17963 4/24/42
Ford F-250
Alaskan Camper
Bantam T3-C #21170
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 5:57pm
I  might have a solution to all of this. Thanks to you guys of course.  

Because he delivered it to Montana, and did the deal here’re falls under Montana law and I can probably take him to small claims court here, forcing him to come here and try to defend what he did. Luckily I still have the texts, and receipt for the hotel I got him. 

I texted him and he said he was gonna talk it over with legal on Monday and get back to me.  

I asked Russ to move this to Off Topic, I don’t want to junk up the forums with my stupid drama. 
1947 CJ-2A Willys
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 6:05pm
NCIS is on the base too. Let them know. The more the merrier. Make your case for fraud. They have jurisdiction in 50 states and can use wire fraud statutes.
Micah 
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Cinnabear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinnabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 7:42pm
I thought I was being really reasonable. All I asked him to cover was the cost of the transmission and transfer case, and even then I got a much better deal through Herm Tilford than it would have cost going through a place like Kaiser Willys. 
I mean I’m already $1500 out of pocket for the new starter, electronic ignition, carb rebuild and labor.  The new brakes are another $1000 installed and the installation for the Trans/TC are gonna be another $500-600.  
Asking him to cover $1820 of $5300 is more than fair considering that’s just to make it run/safe and ignores the paint job and everything else he hid. 
1947 CJ-2A Willys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 8:06pm
His statement of everything being gone through are fraudulent and you have documents and, I hope some statements, to support it. He used an electronic communication device to further his fraudulent activities by posting it on the eWillys site and any emails you might have. If you lay it all out to NCIS, maybe they will open a case.
The US Attorney's Office in Nevada will not prosecute. I'm familiar with what they will do. With that, they may take him to Captain's Mast for conduct unbecoming. Include a print out of this public forum in your submission. Take your time and make a logical documented submission. Usually, you have to spoon feed it to them.
Sometimes, it is worth the effort. Maybe you get some satisfaction and at least you can say you tried. These types of people count on someone not taking the effort to fight them. I wish you luck.

Micah

“Up for sale is my 1947 Willys CJ-2A. I just finished a year long frame off restoration on this Willys last month. Everything has been gone through and it runs and drives great. It has a lot of new parts and a fresh paint job. This is not over restored where you would be scared to drive it, it is a driver that you could take to a car show or put it to work on a farm. Please contact me if you have any questions or want to see it. I can deliver to you within 500 miles for a small fee if that is something you need. Clean Nevada title in hand. Currently registered and insured.”

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

danover321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danover321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:30pm
Sorry to say it but your wasting your time contacting his chain of command as your deal was a civil contract agreed upon verbally.  There is no violation of the UCMJ period!  Your only option is to file suit against him in the county he resides; however, your fighting an uphill battle proving his INTENT to comit fraud.  Your preponderance of
evidence is your word against his.  Also, you purchased the vehicle as is no warranties inferred or applied correct? 

I'm not defending the SOB but as a buyer, it's your responsibility to thoroughly inspect the vehicle prior to any negotiation.  Your best option is to correct the problems based on your available budget and enjoy what you have. These jeeps are sold like this everyday across the country in the exact same manner.  Use this as a learning experience and truck on down the road.
44 Willys MB 379XXX
45 Willys MB 459XXX
46 Willys CJ2A 38008
46 Willys CJ2A 38136
47 Willys CJ2A 97474
US Army Active/Reserve 1989 to 2005
Desert Storm, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq Invasion 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:58pm
Not to start any arguments, NCIS is not solely bound to enforcement under the UCMJ. They have authority under Title 18 USC. See Section 7 - Mission and Functions

I say it is worth a shot. Maybe they are aware of this guy and would relish the opportunity. I say no more.

Micah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>