Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATHawk11 1946 2A Project...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATHawk11 1946 2A Project...
    Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 3:24am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge (athawk11)

This project may be in line with Lowenuf.   It might take a while.  If I try to do another abbreviated 2 year build, my wife might kill me.

This is a 1946 CJ2A #44017.   It’s fairly complete.  All the numbers seem to fall in line.

Here is the original post from the day of acquisition with more photos.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/i-have-a-herd-new-2a_topic27252.html

Data, Body, Frame tags are all # 44017

ACM for the body and tailgate are # 34379

Engine #  J 45343  Original??  I’m not sure, but the number looks pretty good.

(I have since learned this is not the original engine, but possibly re-stamped with same number as original.)

First things first.  The engine was seized.  I don’t want to do a complete rebuild yet, (See comment above about my wife) so I used the magical mixture of 50/50 Acetone and ATF down the spark plug holes.  7 hours later, the engine broke free and was easy to spin with a wrench.  I wasn’t feeling compression in a couple cylinders, so I pulled the valve cover.  3 of 8 valves were stuck.  I used more of the magical mixture on the valves.  A day or so later, I used a wood dowel to lightly tap the lifters.  All valves easily popped lose.

I hooked up a battery, pushed the foot start, and to my surprise, everything was turning and lifting as it should.

I am a huge fan of that ‘magical mixture’.

More to come!

Tim    

Edited by athawk11 - 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:25pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 3:51am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge  ...Entry 2

To get at the valves, I removed the manifolds and Carter WO.  Wouldn’t you know it? The stud closest to the firewall had been replaced by a bolt. The head sheared right off during removal.  I was calm, but frustrated. I didn’t take any photos of this issue.  I went straight to work.  There was a nub sticking out, so I welded a nut on the nub and started soaking it with the magical mixture.

For three days, I took a wrench to it.  For three days it wouldn’t budge.  I didn’t want to force it.  I was firm with the wrench, but not angry.

Finally, on day 4, it still didn’t move, so I heated the bolt to an orange color and added some candle wax to the equation.  (I took the candle from one of my wife’s Christmas decorations.  I have a whole year to make up a story of what might have happened to it.)  I walked away from it after the candle wax. 

Day 5, I heated it up, took a wrench to it, and out it came as if it were a brand new bolt.  A huge sigh of relief.  There is almost no better feeling than the removal of a broken bolt in an old Willys engine.

Tim
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 4:04am
Your valve gallery looks very clean.Nice job.You have the better engine in my opinion for by looking at the serial #, it is a gear drive one.No worry about a loose timing chain.Hopefully,she will have good compression and no smoke out the tail pipe.Clap
willys jeep
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 4:24am
You are the man Sir Hawkridge! By the way....tell us about that fuel pumpWink. That Jeep is fantastic, and I am sure when you are finished it will off the CHARTS. I have one not too far off your serial #s. Makes us kind of like relativesLOL Where did his Brother Go??
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 12:43pm
Good job!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 11:48pm

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 3

I cleaned up the manifolds.  I was surprised the heat riser flap wasn’t seized. 

Something that I found interesting…  The PO had plugged the PCV port on the intake manifold, removed the air tube and plugged the hole on the valve cover.  How did this engine breath?  If the amount of oil covering everything is any indication, I believe the pressure released from every possible weak point.  Namely, the gaskets.

While the paint was drying on some of the manifold parts, I disassembled the Carter, removed every jet, gave it all a thorough cleaning, set the metering rod and float.  There was very little wiggle on the choke and throttle shafts.  It should function pretty well.

I had to drill out a broken bolt in the exhaust manifold.  I re-tapped it. This was relatively painless.  I installed a stud this time. 

I ordered a complete exhaust kit from Walcks.  This little Willys had nothing rear of the exhaust manifold.  I can’t believe how well this kit fits.  This is the second kit I've purchased.  No tweaking necessary.  I highly recommend it.

I blew out the fuel lines and checked the condition of the gas tank.  The thing looks brand new inside.  It must have been replaced.  I hooked up the fuel pump.  I’m not sure it even works. 

Until now, I have only been able to work on the Willys while the weather was warm.  It’s been sitting outdoors.  With some creative rearranging, I was able to bring it inside.  I should be able to get more done.

It’s a little tight.  My garage is pretty deep. The tire dollies really help.

Tim 

Edited by athawk11 - 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:31pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2013 at 1:26am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 4

I’m thinking I’m pretty close to trying a start.

I dropped the oil pan.  There was a lot of crud in there.  Probably a combination of neglect from the PO and all the crap I washed down out of the valve galley.  I cleaned up the pan, and installed a new Felpro gasket.  I am a huge fan of the Felpro oil pan gasket.

I drained the engine and radiator.  I flushed them, then added new coolant. 

So the 3 rules to a working engine are…

1. Compression
  2. Fuel
  3. Spark

The only thing I know for sure is I have good compression.  The other two, well, I’m just gonna wing it.  The starter turns, and much to my surprise, without the key turned on.  This just didn’t make sense to me.  Someone must have rewired this thing.  My only experience was with my 3A that had been converted to key start with a starter solenoid.

I did extensive research on this site.  I studied every wiring diagram in the FAQ.   I needed to understand.  Turns out, the foot start will always turn the starter, even with the key turned off.  Who would have thought?

At this point, I pushed the foot start to see what kind of oil pressure I would get.  First couple attempts didn’t register anything.  I was getting nervous.  Third time on the start and the oil pressure jumped up to 50+.  Awesome!!

I don’t know if the fuel pump works, so I poured a little gas into the carb. I pushed the foot start… and bam!! …The engine seized.  My heart started to race.  I’m worried I threw a rod, or something worse.

Tim  
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2013 at 1:41am
Man, I hope it's not terminal.  With all that mistery oil, I can't imagine a seizure.  What is that piece sitting in the intake manifold?
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2013 at 2:21am
Check your starter.My 45 GPW did the same thing.It eneded up being the bendix drive jammed somehow.I removed starter motor and engine turned fine.Replaced bendix drive and have not had a problem since.
willys jeep
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 3:55am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 5

Autolite was dead on.  When the engine seized I thought the worst, but hoped for the best.  I pulled the starter.  I found some really chewed up teeth on the Bendix.  Once it was out, I was able to turn the engine with ease. 

I had the spring break on the starter in my 3A. I replaced the Bendix with a new one from Walcks.  I read somewhere here, to never throw away old parts.  Boy am I glad I held on to that good advise.  I dug the old broken one out and inspected the teeth on the gear.  They are not perfect, but are in far better shape than the one I just pulled from the 2A.  I pulled off the gear and installed it on the 2A starter. 

This was a good time to look at the condition of the flywheel gear.  It looks brand new. It must have been replaced. But why would the PO go through all the trouble of installing a new flywheel and not replace the Bendix?  Very odd.

I put the starter back in and all is well.

So, I’m back in business.  Poured some more fuel in the carb, turned the key, pushed the start button, and…nothing.  No love.  I tried several times with no luck.

So, I have compression…I have fuel…it’s got to be a spark problem.

Tim 
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 4:46am
Glad it worked out for you.One thing,the 3a ring gear on the early models was 124 tooth.CJ-2a ring gears where all 97 tooth.Unless your 3a has a 97 tooth,the bendix has a different tooth count.Just my thoughts.
willys jeep
BMIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 9:46am
Great thread Tim, I'm hooked...
BMIC
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 6:06pm
Thanks for the comments guys.  So far, the entries are in retrospect.  I'm slowly trying to catch up with where I am today. 

I forgot to answer Zooks question.  I think you're seeing the thick carb gasket that has the 'V' shaped thing attached to it.  I'm not sure what this accomplishes.  I am mainly after the thicker gasket.  It helps to keep the Carter from making contact with the mounting studs, and helps keep the carb insulated from the heat of the intake manifold.  At least that's what I've read.

AutoLite...That's a good observation on the teeth count. I did check them.  They both have 10 teeth.  (My 3A has a GPW engine in it.)

Thanks again for taking a look. 

More to come.

Tim 

Edited by athawk11 - 26 Feb. 2013 at 6:10pm
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 6:25pm
The picture I was refering to is the one with the pcv going from the valve cover to intake and has the carb off with the spacer gasket.  What it that in the opening that looks like a "V"?
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 6:48pm
I had the same sort of question about the carb base gasket and the metal v. I asked the question here and got lots of answers.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2013 at 6:57pm
Answers my question, thanks. 

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2013 at 2:33am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 6

So, after realizing the wiring was up to snuff, why wasn’t I getting it to start?

I pulled a plug, attached the plug cable and had my wife help by turning the key and pushing the foot start.  By the way, she loves that foot start. I don’t know if it’s the simplicity of the system or if she just likes to push buttons.  I know she likes to push mine.

Anyway, no spark when I held the plug close to the head.  None at all.Dead  I wasn’t in the mood to troubleshoot each individual component, so I headed down to NAPA. The system has been converted to12v at some point.  I picked up, a coil (part # IC14) with an internal ballast resistor, new plugs and plug wires.  I already had a new set of points and a condenser on hand.  I installed them all after setting the plug gap to .030 and the points to .020. 

One of the studs to mount the coil bracket is broken off in the block.  I’ll have to drill it out and re-tap it later. I didn’t want this to sidetrack my quest to start the engine.

I have the fuel pump hooked up, but not being sure it works, I started, once again, by pouring some gas down the carb.    I turned the key, pushed the start, and POP!!  Backfire out the carb.  I tried it again…POP….POP POP!!

Well, something was firing.  At least I know I have spark!Wink

Tim 

Rabid_Squirrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabid_Squirrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2013 at 2:55am
This is the type of thread that has me wishing I would have stumbled across it 3 months after it was finished. Each entry is like an episode of Breaking Bad. He starts by clearing up the cliff hanger from the last entry, gives you something new to chew on, then leaves you with another cliff hanger.

Well done sir...I'll be checking in on this thread regularly with anticipation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>