Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATHawk11 1946 2A Project...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2013 at 3:14am
X2 what rabid squirrel said, every night is like the season ending of the Sons of Anarchy, LOL, Makes me want to drive to Colorado and get it running myself and maybe pick up a few welding tips from his wife, LOL. Come on Tim how about an allnighter and end the drama!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
willys522000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys522000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 4:58pm

I don’t want to do a complete rebuild yet, (See comment above about my wife) so I used the magical mixture of 50/50 Acetone and ATF down the spark plug holes.  7 hours later, the engine broke free and was easy to spin with a wrench.

I tried your 50/50 acetone and atf last night on an old F-head, now the wait begins.

Brett.

autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2013 at 6:54pm
Make sure the distributor is timed right.Crank engine till you feel pressure coming out of #1 cylinder spark plug.Look at the timing mark on flywheel and turn till they line up with "IGN on flywheel with line on the rear engine plate.Now look at your distributor rotor and see if it is pointing to the position on the cap that goes to #1 cylinder.If so,set the points so they are just breaking.You should be good to go if the above is correct.Just a reminder if you have not already done this.
willys jeep
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 1:43am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 7

Brett, Good luck with the F-head engine.  I wish this was my mixture.  I learned it from the fellas here at the 2A page.

So, I have spark. But burping out the carb isn’t going to get me cruising the streets of Colorado.  Could my timing be off?  Maybe…but I use Sean’s GEICO method.  How can I possibly go wrong?  I pondered.  Finally it hits me. 

I make an adjustment…pour gas down the carb…and WAA LAA, she ROARS to life…then quickly sputters to off.  Time to test the fuel pump.  I pour some fuel in the tank…push the start…and again, she roars to life.  This time, under the influence of a working fuel pump!!  IT’S A GREAT DAY to be a Willys guy!!Big smile

I ran it at high idle for about 10 minutes.  Revved it up until it smoothed out.  Then, back down to idle.  The Carter refurb seems to be a success.  It’s holding an idle.  But dang that engine has a serious shimmy.  I look down at the drive pulley to see the most wobbly piece of  %$^p everOuch!   So, a new pulley has been ordered.  Will the spending ever stop?

While I was running the engine, it was smoking like the house was on fire.  Hopefully, I’m just burning off 25 years of stagnation, and a week worth of magical mixture and diesel fuel rinse.  We’ll see.

The adjustment?…you ask…

Well, I’m the first one to admit that I am a JackA$$ !    And if this were the first time I did this, then I’d cut myself some slack. 

When I replaced the spark plug cables, I was careful to put them in the correct 1,3,4,2 firing order.  Problem is, the distributor turns counter clockwise.  And once again, I installed them clockwise.  Go ahead, poke fun at me.  I deserve it.ConfusedEmbarrassed

Okay, so the engine runs.  But does the Willys move?  I better not get ahead of myself.  Next task…Does it Stop?

Tim
Bedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 2:24am
This is one heck of a good thread.  Seems like I've been on the edge of my seat for 2 days.  It's great that you got the old girl running.  I doubt that anybody here figured you wouldn't.  And I don't think anybody is going poke fun at you.  Can't wait for Entry 8.

And, no, the spending probably isn't going to end.  I kind of enjoy seeing the UPS guy drive up my road with more jeep parts.
George

'51 3A #43951
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2013 at 7:22pm
Thanks for taking a look George.  I'm trying to have a little fun with the thread.   

I have to admit, I also like the anticipation of the UPS delivery.  It usually means I can get back to what I was working on.  Seems like the further into this I get, the further from done I am.

Did I just sound like Yoda from Star Wars?LOL

Example.  You think you have all the parts to finish a brake job on the rear axle, but then you find the outer axle seal is shot.  It just stops you in your tracks!!Angry

Tim 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2013 at 11:41pm

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 8

I was going to dig into the brakes next, but I just couldn’t stand to watch that engine shake like it did.

The shake rattle and roll was coming from the front drive pulley. It is the stamped style, and is very wobbly. I replaced it with a machined pulley.  That old pulley did not want to come off.  My puller really finished it off.

With the new pulley installed, the shimmy is gone.

To the suppliers of this stamped pulley… Why even bother?  They never seem to run true.  At least the three I’ve dealt with.  Plus, you destroy them if you need to pull them.  I've read that it’s recommended to add a small amount of sealer to the shaft before installing these.  I get that this is a potential leak point, but why would anyone want to make it more difficult to get them off?  Heck, I actually add a small amount of grease.  

So, the next task will be the brakes.  I guess I just wanted to vent a little bit tonight.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:33pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2013 at 12:01am
Tim should you like an original? Its still on the pump (The pulley that is) PM me....
Great Thread....Your Killing Me!Thumbs Up
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2013 at 3:24am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 9

Hey Scott.  Thanks for the offer.  I should have called you before I ordered one.  I keep forgetting about my east coast parts connection.Wink

So, on to the brakes.

The pedal was on the floor.  Great.  I crawled underneath to find a broken return spring.  Easy enough.  I have a spare.  I installed it, then pushed the pedal.  It went to the floor with no resistence.  Crap. 

I opened up the MC.  Hmmm…no fluid.  I poured in some DOT 3, opened up a rear bleeder and started to bleed the master cylinder.  I wasn’t getting the little squirt when I depressed the pedal.  The push rod was moving in and out.  Why wasn’t I getting this to bleed? 

I crawled underneath and discovered why.  I pulled the MC and this is what I found…

The piston was seized.  I headed in to the house to order up a new MC.  I did take this one apart.  I honed it.  It looks like I’ll be able to rebuild it, but my wife is going to be driving this.  I didn’t want to take a chance that it might fail while she’s driving.

I installed the new MC.  I quickly bled it.  I opened up a bleeder on the rear passenger side.  Fluid started to flow, but it wasn’t coming out of the tube attached to the bleeder. It was dripping out the bottom of the backing plate. 

Time to pull the drum.  Have you ever seen anything worse than this…

This isn’t going to be as easy as I hoped.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:35pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2013 at 10:42am
Tim. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. It shrank!
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 3:21pm
That looks like the guy was worried about his brakes wearing out?  Kept them well lubed!
I would expect both inner and outer axle seals are shot.  Better open the diff up and see what surprises are there!

Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Lew Ladwig Lew Ladwig wrote:

That looks like the guy was worried about his brakes wearing out?  Kept them well lubed!
I would expect both inner and outer axle seals are shot.  Better open the diff up and see what surprises are there!

Yep, the outer seals were still the original rope style.  The rope was long gone.  Note...Just because you have a grease gun and a zerk fitting doesn't mean you have to unload the entire tube into one hub.WinkLOL
Tim
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2013 at 4:24pm
Bubba does not own a greasegun so it wasent him!
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
BMIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2013 at 4:32pm
This would be ENTRY 9B .... The ATF/Acetone test case!
BMIC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 1:17am
Sir Hawkridge....Whatever the obstacle, I know you will overcome it! Love this thread!
Can't wait to see more!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 3:01am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 10

After digging into this Willys, I have a firm belief that it was well cared for up until the last owner that actually drove it. 

I envision an older gentleman that loved it.  I can see him taking care to check the fluids and having it serviced on a regular basis.  Then he gets old.  Too old to maneuver into the driver seat.  Too old to press the clutch pedal. Too feeble to turn that steering wheel.  He decides it’s time to let it go.  He hopes the buyer will love it as much as he does.

He sells it to a man that’s been looking for a gift for his son.  The old man’s heart breaks as he watches that teenager drive his Willys away.

Life moves on…

The teenager is excited…at first.  He has a novelty.  It’s fun to drive, but it has no speed.  All his friends drive cars that can fly.  He pushes the little Willys beyond its limits. One by one, the components begin to fail.   He really doesn’t care.  He almost resents it.   He stops changing the oil.  He never fills the transmission fluid.   He tortures it.  Abuses it. 

He hates it.

After just a year or two, in 1987, The Willys finally dies.  The young man is relieved.  He can finally get something he really wants. 

The little black Willys sat quietly for the next 26 years.  Waiting.......  Waiting for me.

The brake job is going to be a challenge.  On these wonderful little machines, the brakes aren’t difficult, but what a mess I’m starting with.

Rear brakes before…

Rear brakes after…

Front brakes before…

Front brakes after…

This didn’t come without a challenge or two.  Here is a link to the Tech page where I was having trouble figuring out why I had a 3/8” gap between the backing plate and drum.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/another-rear-drum-spacing-issueresolved_topic27738.html

Everything is back together.  The brakes adjusted and bled.  The Willys will now start.  I’m pretty sure it will stop.  But will it move under its own power?

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:39pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 1:39am

1946 CJ2A Project… by   A. Tim Hawkridge   Entry 11

After 26 years of neclect, disregard, a seized engine, and I sad story or two, I’m happy to offer you this…

Without further adieu…

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 1:54am
You a friggin Killing Me! That is AWESOME! Haines Garage Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up.
I need for you to come and stay at Haines Garage for a while.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>