Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATHawk11 1946 2A Project...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 1:54am
Nice work ATHawk, Enjoy

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 1:59am
Tim,

That is really awesome.    I didn't see any smoke coming from that motor. Keep us posted on its oil consumption. Great Job!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 2:46am
Tim, you are The Man!!    I too noticed a lack of smoke coming out of the tailpipe.  But I think I saw a speck of dust on one of your rebuilt brakes.  Just needling you.  Keep the "Entries" coming.  You may be setting a new standard for rebuild threads.
George

'51 3A #43951
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 10:23am
In a different era you would be accused of witchcraft for reviving the dead.....

Bravo!!!  Hug
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2013 at 12:00pm
Way cool Tim!
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2013 at 6:23pm
Most Excellent!  This reads like an illustrated novel.  You are a good writer as well as a good mechanic.  Congratulations and Well Done!  Thumbs Up
48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2013 at 1:04am
Thanks to everyone for peaking in and your encouraging comments.  I am no witch...and hardly a good mechanic.  I truly believe, in spite of myself, that I get lucky with most of this stuff.

Those of you that have commented are the real miracle workers.  I have admired all of your work, and can only hope to live up to your standards.  Seriously, there are some extraordinarily talented people on this page.  Without you and your help, I'm just digging holes.

Tim
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:03pm
After a few years of other Willys projects, I’ve turned my attention back to this one.  It’s been under a tarp, and patiently waiting in the back yard.  I’ve started it on a regular basis.

My goal is to get it ready for the Black Hills Run…version 2017.  There are a few trails this year that might offer up some dings, dents, and your everyday Willys “road rash”.  Since this is still in “Thrasher” mode, it makes sense to bring it.

It needs some work.

First off, I needed a windshield.  The arctic top just won’t work for summer trails.  An M38 arctic top is a little out of place on a 2A anyway.  Over the years, I scavenged 4 beat up 2A windshields.  I took the best pieces from them and created one decent shield. 

Even then, I needed to purchase a new skin from Classic Enterprises.

I welded all the holes shut, used a bit of filler, primed it, and then painted it black to match the current Willys color…

Added some spot weld dimples to give it an original look…

I bought glass locally.  I tried the window gaskets and tapes offered by the vendors, but they were all too thick.  I ended up using black sealant to set the glass.

I assembled it all and took some glamour shots…

I really don’t know much about the condition of the drive train and suspension. I’m also a bit nervous that the engine hasn’t really been ‘gone through’.  If you look back in the thread, I basically un-seized the engine, replaced some ignition electrical parts, replaced the exhaust and the brakes.  I’ve never had a break down on the trails with my OD Willys.   Hopefully, I won’t become a liability out there in the South Dakota wilderness with this 2A.

Next up…I’ve got to lose the old top.

Edited by athawk11 - 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:54pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:21pm
No worries Tim, I'll bring you back to base myself if it gives a problem. I may have to fight off our other friends who want to help------------------LOL.  Frankly this will be a good test run for it and the rest of the guys are bored and want something to do most of the time.  Pretty devious of you to wet their appetite with the pictures of the 2A. See you soon, oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:32pm
well all right
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

well all right

X2!! Bring that bad boy to the BHR and lets have some fun! Looking forward to the build..Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:37pm
Nice job on the 2A windshield. BTW, the vendor glass gaskets are a waste of time, I set my glass with Permatex silicone.   
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:59pm
Tim,
Your attention to detail continues to amaze me!

I do think it's going to be necessary to get some dirt on that exquisitely rejuvenated windshield and leave it there or the jeep is not going to feel good about itself when only part of it is better than brand new. It will get confused. "Am I a show jeep that's just not good enough? Am I a farm jeep pretending to be something different? I just don't know who I am."   Wink

Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:53pm
Tim, I think I owe you a tow or two. If something goes wrong you can count on me to lend a hand as needed. Of course, like John said there isn't one in the group that won't offer you anything you need.
Glen
49 CJ3A
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:30am
Leaving Whitey at home?
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:36am
Absolutely beautiful!, way to nice for a trail beater ....... It sure looks to me like the threads on the drivers side lollipop are stripped out

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:41am
You guys are all great. Makes me feel a little better knowing you won't leave me behind.

Stan, you crack me up. You've rightfully diagnosed that my OCD has spawned a Willys with Multiple Personality Disorder. To follow JPet'S line of thinking, I'm going to have to give this 2A at least 2 names.

Gary, Whitey will probably make the FCT. Rachel deserves to give it its first scratch. She won't be with us this year at the BHR, so I'll be hanging with the bachelors.

Lee, Wow. It is stripped. You have an amazing eye for detail.

I do want to thank Lee publicly. He has helped me so many times with hard to find original Willys parts. A few of them will be on this 2A...including the 15" wheels.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 09 May 2017 at 3:43am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:00am
The only thing that matters at this point Hawk is that we'll all be together in June..Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>