Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ATHawk11 1946 2A Project...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:28pm
"I wonder if this is an original sending unit. What do you guys think?..." Ol' Red Had the same unit that is pictured. I would say that it is original. I had to replace it because the rheostat in the head was worn out and caused the gage to jump around.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:36pm
"I got new shocks and installed the fronts.  Still waiting for my rear leaf springs.  I’ll install the rear shocks once I get the rear springs…"

Aww Shucks. There was a brand new set for sale at the reunion...
Wish we had known.
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:44pm
Tim,

Man I am jealous! Another project from the Hawk! Sure gonna miss you guys this year at FCT and BHR. I am just counting down the days though so 11 months and 9 days left and I start calling my own schedule!

Had not talked to you in a while - hope all is well - Tumbleweed.....................
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:24pm
Hawky, next time you are doing bodywork, use a come along tied between the body and tractor or light pole. You can then pull it a click at a time and dolly the high spots. Then let go and look. For pushing out the rear quarters,  I found the original MB or CJ screw jack with a flat support piece on the top side of the jack works fantastic. Same thing, push it out some, dolly the high spots, let go and look. Wink

What is so cool is you have a goal or target you are working Blackie over for. The  BHR. We all are honored you want to come. You will have a great new experience and have a ton of tallent to help you go play with your Jeep. The big boys sandbox. LOL Crap, now I'm getting anxious just thinking about it. George (Tumbleweed) needs a check ride and service call to Western SD!!!!! hint hint. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:35pm
Only 6 hrs. from Denver - right?
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:42pm
400 miles. Divide that by I -25 at 80 MPH, and Hwy. 85 at 65-70 mph, and then a beautiful drive over the ridge through Deadwood and Yep, about 6.5 - 7 hours.  All good. Wink
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 5:16pm
I am making more progress.  Installed new rear springs and shocks…

I drained and replaced all the fluids.  After doing so, both differentials leaked badly from the seals.    I replaced them with the double lip seal from Ron Fitzpatrick and added speedy sleeves.  At least it won’t be leaking from every gear box. 

This cheap little puller from Harbor Freight made short work of pulling the yokes…

Because it’s not leaking too bad, I was able to bring it in the garage to make additional repairs…

My locking hubs were cracked, so I decided to install original style flanges.  The PO had cut the threads.  With no way to control the inward float, I tapped the axle and added a washer and bolt.  I’m honestly not sure if this will help…or harm the axle, but at this point, I’m out of time and options.  Only one way to test it…beat the hell out of it on the Black Hills trails.

I did replace the gas tank. I fixed a sticky float needle in the carburetor.  I repaired a few (not all) broken body mounts.  I greased all the chassis points.  I replaced the clutch and brake return springs.  I pulled the broken Harrison heater. (It was banging around and making a lot of noise.) 

I’m running out of time, but I’m also running out of things to do to make it somewhat trail worthy.  I have a slight drag on the clutch that needs attention.  I still need to install rear tail/brake lights.  If I have time, I’m still want to rig up a temporary top.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 6:43pm
When the dust clears it'll all be good!!Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 6:52pm
Tim, just use it and then leave it. The trip home will be easier and since I'm a nice guy, I'll dispose of it for you. Oh, do you keep a clear, signed, and not dated title in the tool box under the seat???? Please do so. The salvage yard won't take it without a title. I'm just trying to make things easier you know. signed your friend Oilly
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 6:05am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

If I have time, I’m still want to rig up a temporary top.

Get some 3/4" conduit and a bender and bend up some bows.  Use the bow pockets behind the seats, but make the bow lean back enough to shade you more than the straight-up-and-down originals do.  Two rods for the sides, some proper fabric, holes to attach to the windshield frame--you got it made.  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:20pm
Leaker,
I'll bring the title, just in case.  Please note: You will be the responsible party if there are any "recovery expenses" required to get it off the mountain. Wink 

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Get some 3/4" conduit and a bender and bend up some bows.  Use the bow pockets behind the seats, but make the bow lean back enough to shade you more than the straight-up-and-down originals do.  Two rods for the sides, some proper fabric, holes to attach to the windshield frame--you got it made.  Smile

Thanks for the ideas Ol'.
I do have Walcks top bows.  Kind of bummed that I do.  Looks like Lowenuf is making them again.  I would have rather had a set of his reproductions.

If I rig something up, the temp top will be very "red neck"...and will likely shred quickly if I need to use it.LOL
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:26pm
I wanted to add that I did eliminate the dragging clutch issue.  I intended on adjusting the clutch cable, but discovered the PO had installed the clutch tube backwards.  I installed it the right way and the dragging clutch issue was gone.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:28pm
"make the bow lean back enough to shade you more than the straight-up-and-down originals do."

If you followed the instructions above from Ol' reliable that would solve the "red neck" issue...
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

"make the bow lean back enough to shade you more than the straight-up-and-down originals do."

If you followed the instructions above from Ol' reliable that would solve the "red neck" issue...

I laughed out loud!LOLClap
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2017 at 5:42pm

Leaker,
I'll bring the title, just in case.  Please note: You will be the responsible party if there are any "recovery expenses" required to get it off the mountain. Wink 

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Thanks for the ideas Ol'.
I do have Walcks top bows.  Kind of bummed that I do.  Looks like Lowenuf is making them again.  I would have rather had a set of his reproductions.

If I rig something up, the temp top will be very "red neck"...and will likely shred quickly if I need to use it.LOL

I,ll be responsible and have a party, bringing it off the mountain Hawky! Wink

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 07 June 2017 at 11:50pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:10pm
Taillights and brake lights are working.

It's fun to dig in to an old Willys like this that has lots of original components that still work.  I was rarely this lucky with other Willys projects.  I'm guessing that fairly early on, this got the arctic top.  I also know that it survived a barn fire.  So, it was stored indoors and had an arctic top to protect it from the elements.  It has been in the dry Colorado climate since at least 1962.  The black paint is chipping away to expose the original Pature Green.  I doesn't appear to have faded much before receiving the black overcoat.  It was also dormant for the last 30 years of its life.  All in all, I really like this 2A. 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 7:18pm

Taillights and brake lights are working.

All in all, I really like this 2A. 

You're not the only one Hawk!!Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 8:35pm
Yeah, some of them just seem to grow on ya, don't they. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>