Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Non-Willys Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auto-Lite Shop Meter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto-Lite Shop Meter
    Posted: 23 July 2009 at 4:00pm
Not really a "Willys" accessory, but kinda cool, and period correct.  Just like in the Auto-Lite manual!

1949 Auto-lite ST-232-B bench test Volt/Amp meter.  She was kinda beat & abused physically, and needed some electrical fixing, but now works again!

The meters are beautiful old-school quality & craftsmanship.  High accuracy & precision, jeweled movements:

The calibration resistors were hand-wound to tolerance on wooden bobbins w/ .005-.006" dia cloth covered wire! (this one was burnt):

Sean
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 10:13pm
Old tools are almost as neat as old Jeeps. Nice restoration. So are you building up a period WO service center?Thumbs Up
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 10:26pm
Thanks Gale.  Not really "restored", just cleaned and repaired!

I'm not trying to build a tool collection (though I have dreamed of the Willys tool display board!), but when something like this comes up for less than $10, I can't pass it up.  Even if it didn't work, it's a neat "curio".

That is does work is a big bonus.  It's hard enough to find a 100 A ammeter at any price.

Sean
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 11:59pm
Still neat, but while the meter goes up to 100A, looking at the gauge of wire in there I think 100A would make that a real hand warmer.LOL (or it would just let the smoke out) Is there a date anywhere on it? I'm thinking late 30's or 40's by the styling. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 3:43pm
Gale:

There are large shunt bars built-in for the 100 & 50 A scales.  Not obvious in the photo.

1949.  You can see the date stamp on the voltmeter: Jan 5 1949.  The ammeter is Jan 12.  This meter is still depicted in the 1953 1950 service manual.

Sean

Edited by sean - 24 July 2009 at 5:07pm
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 3:54pm
That new? Kind of a surprise, the stylized arrow around the center knob sure looks "art deco" to me, but then maybe the styling department was a little behind the curve.LOL Do you have a case for it? (Bakelite I would imagine) or is that made to fit into a console of some sort. I like old tools (now that sounds weirdLOL) Kind of a window into the past. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 5:04pm
Gale:

It's in a steel case, just doesn't show in the photo.  The carry/hanger handle is missing, and all the rubber feet have gone brittle & broke off, but otherwise ready to use.

My manual is 1950 (not '53 as I claimed earlier).  The diagrams show the same series meter, model ST-232-A (w/out the 100A scale).  The same meter is also shown in Rocketeer's '47 Auto-Lite manual posted a while ago (can't find the post now, w/the forum limits):

Sean
Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 5:54pm
let me know when you find a period growler and i'll send my starter to be tested Wink
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 4:03am
Very nice Sean. Now that you're experienced maybe you could hone your skills on these. Big smile

Larry
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 5:32pm
Pretty cool Larry!  I've been looking for a coil tester like that.
Quote Now that you're experienced maybe you could hone your skills on these.
You offering to loan them out?  You'd never get 'em back! Evil Smile Wink

Sean
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:36pm
I picked them both up at a military flea market last Winter. Both are right out of the WWII manual and are dated. $10 a piece. I recently picked up these guys, also WWII military. The date on the manual for the vacuum/fuel pump tester is Jan 1945:

$5 a piece.
Larry
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 6:56pm
Great finds Larry!

If you ever run across an old-school carbon pile, grab 2!

Sean
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2009 at 7:54pm
Recently picked up this one, an old-school armature tester (growler).

Larry
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2009 at 2:46pm
Wow!  I need one on those.

Good score.  Does it work?  Looks line a wire or two might need upgrading. LOL
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2009 at 3:55pm
I haven't got the guts to plug it in! LOL

Larry
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2009 at 1:55am
Sean.  The rubber feet that were there maybe they can be replaced with the rubber mounts from a ceiling fan.
Ed
cj2a lefty
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2009 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

I haven't got the guts to plug it in! LOL 
I hear that!.  Some of the wires look scary. LOL
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by p3ferris p3ferris wrote:

Sean.  The rubber feet that were there maybe they can be replaced with the rubber mounts from a ceiling fan.
Thanks Ed.

The rubber feet are fairly standard screw-on type.  I could get replacements out of Digi-Key or Mouser, just not a priority right now.  Might even have some in my parts pile, haven't bothered to look yet! Wink

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply