Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auto-Lite Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto-Lite Voltage Regulator
    Posted: 20 Dec. 2006 at 9:48am
Auto-Lite VRP-4007 C-2
The cover is the wrong color, it should be a brownish beige and not grey. It's on my list of things to fix. This on was made March of 1948

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2006 at 12:15pm
Matt:

How did you determine color as "brownish beige"?

I have an NOS 4007, later manufacture w/out tag on cover, and the cover is black.  Every other NOS tagged Autolite VR of the period (1937- late '40s) that I've seen has also been black.

Sean
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2006 at 4:36pm
Awhile back we were talking about it on the "G". Todd P. had mentioned it and showed this photo, I was a little sceptical as brownish beige it very close to rust. But since then I've seen a few Auto-lite VR's on eBay this beige color non were 4007's

I've seen a bunch of the later VR's with the embossed cover like you have and all where black, A 4007 C-2 just like mine sold on eBay about 2 months ago it was actually Mike Gardners but I forget the color. I've another 4007 in my shop, it has the tag on the side. I think it was black too, I'll have to check when I get home from Ireland in Jan. Now that I think of it I think the date on it is late 1946 but the tag is on the side, Mike G's was late 1945 with the tag on the top and mine is March 1948 with the tag on top.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2006 at 7:34pm
Doh, brain fart!  I partook in those discussions but don't remember Todds mention of color.

That photo's too small to see color vs. rust clearly, but that VR looks like an older 2-terminal type, needing a separate cut-out relay.

I look on ebay nearly every day for autolite stuff, and have never seen anything but black.  Next time you seen an odd colored one, give me a heads up please?

But it's got me thinking twice now, since I may have some evidence of other than black.  After I had posted my photos of the regulators I had at the time, I managed to get ahold of one w/the tag still intact.  It's a rebuilt, but the rebuilder didn't bother to remove the tag as usual, just spray painted over it.  It's a July '46:

What's real interesting, is the inside of the cover.  It appears original, as the rivets are intact and not painted over.  Don't know what it should be called, but it's something grey.  Is this like the colors you've seen before?:

I tried to remove the outer black paint w/mild paint removers and brake fluid.  Didn't even phase it!  Whatever they used back then is tough stuff!

I'll have to move this back to the front burner and see if I can find the same color under that black.

Sean

Edited by sean - 24 Mar. 2009 at 1:20pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2006 at 8:25pm

The one I bead blasted and repainted gray was gray inside too. Thats how I picked the color. It was also spray painted black by the PO and I didn't want to just repaint it black as most of my Jeep is black.

I wish I saved a photo of the beige VR I've seen on eBay, I'm 99% sure it was for a Chrysler. Once I seen it I was immediately convinced to paint mine beige.

When I get home I'll pull out the other I have and check inside the cover. This VR was pulled from a very very late 1946 2A and it was 95% original under the hood. I wonder why some have the tag on the cover and others are on the side. I thought some might be replacements but now I'm unsure.
dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2006 at 10:07am
Hey Guys--

I checked mine and here's what I have:

Black originally [at least the plate had not been painted over]
Auto Lite VRP4007 Serial number A101-46 [not too far from Sean's number]

So far as I know it works--at least it is not fried or obviously buggered up inside.  I'm hoping, although I know it controlled a 12 volt conversion for the last few years of its life.  It was NEVER driven much and the battery seemed to be maintained since it sat for long periods of time w/o going flat, so I have my fingers crossed.  The starter was not changed, either, and seemed to work OK when I started & drove it B4 the big purchase.
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 10:50am
Del:

What color is the inside of the cover?

There should be a number before the "A" in your serial number.  "A" indicates the year ('46),  the number would indicate month.

Sean

Edited by sean - 26 Dec. 2006 at 10:53am
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2007 at 4:38pm
OK so the inside of my spare Auto-Lite VRP 4007C-2 is black. But it also has the raised ARM FLD BAT on the cover and has the data tag on the side and the base is also stamped VRP 4007C-2.
Maybe its a replacement, the serial tag is damaged right where the letter that designates the yearDisapprove I'll have to do a little investigating.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2007 at 2:09pm
Matt, welcome back.

I stripped the paint off my cover, a little at a time, to see what all was there.  Under the topmost black, was an older black. Under the older black, plain steel:

I stripped a small part of the tag, hoping the original red was still there, but no luck, so stripped the whole thing.  There were traces of the older black on the cover AND tag, so it must have been from a previous rebuild.  Then there's the 2 brown-red patches.  These are UNDERNEATH the older black, and appear to be more of an adhesive than paint.  Their color is not at all the same as inside the cover:

W/out the tags original red, I needed to remove it for resto, and expected to find paint underneath it, but NOT!  It's just plain steel:

I'm stumped about the tag.  It makes no sense to mask the tag, and paint the cover after the tag has been installed, so I'm sure this was not done by Auto-Lite.

It also makes no sense that a previous rebuilder would have bothered to remove the tag, clean the cover, replace the tag, and then repaint the whole thing, including the tag.

The only thing that makes sense is that the cover might have been chemichally cleaned, and the chemical got under the tag too, but then why is the interior still original?

I can't figure it out.

Moving on to my other 2 VRs:

The NOS unit w/embossed cover is black inside, just like yours.

It has no tag at all, but the full specs are stamped into the chassis.  Date code 6L:

The other is a rebuilt side chassis tag. Tag is missing but the rivets are still there.  Chassis stamping is minimal, as details would have been on the tag. Inside the cover is the original black, but I'm convinced it's NOT the original 4007 cover, since IT TOO had a tag.  I doubt that Auto-Lite would have put a tag in both places, so it's probably a case of the rebuilder just grabbing any available cover that fit:

Another feature on this side-tagged VR, the chassis is stamped w/the terminal abbreviations!  A - F - B.   My other 2 don't have these markings.

So it's still not entirely resolved.  However, I'm sure that covers would have been the same color, inside as out.  And I'm sure that the grey-brown inside my tagged cover is original.  So I'd think that's what the outside color was too!

I'm going to try & match that to an existing color.

Sean
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2007 at 12:54am
Here's the Autolite VRP-4007 regulator I just got. It was pretty well taken care of. Shown by how well the paint has been rubbed off the cover over the years.

The tag is imprinted VRP-4007 C2  8C13442

Here's the inside of the cover. The paint is still in excellent condition.

I tried to capture the color the best I could. I'd say the color is definitely a brown/beige color.

The posts on the chassis are marked A - F - B.

Morgan

1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2007 at 6:47am
Morgan thanks for remembering this post and adding you very interesting pictures. Now I think we have proof that the brown/beige color did exist but I'm not going to say that they weren't black originally too. 8C would be Aug. 1948 which is considered late in CJ2A production.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2007 at 11:22am
Hey Morgan, you need to get a better grip on lighting! Wink  Try getting more photos in natural light  (indirect, not direct).  I've found my photos come out far better in natural light than artificial light.

Nice find though!  Looks to be the same inside color as mine.

I've been meaning to keep up with this, but too many other priorities interfere.  But I did find this a while back.  Does this look like the inside of yours?

Not a 4007, but proof the grey-brown color was used on some.

Sean
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2007 at 5:53pm
Yeah, I'm a pretty poor photographer. But, on the plus side I'm taking a photography class next semester.

The color looks similar to that. Maybe a bit more brown than grey. BTW, the schematics show a ground wire connected to the side of the regulator. Does it screw into the extra little hole on the side next to the cover screw?

Morgan
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2007 at 10:47pm
This photo is from that $49,000 Jeep we've all seen, Notice the beige V/R

Edited by trader_reed - 05 Apr. 2007 at 10:47pm
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2007 at 12:02pm
Matt:

I've seen that photo before.  It's difficult to make color comparisons from web based photos, but that's looking good.  I do discount "restorations" though, since you'll never know if it's true to original or not.

When it's original or NOS, I start to believe.  After finding that NOS 4004 on ebay, I've been looking hard for color matches.  Think I've found the best yet:

The NOS 4004 vs the inside of my cover.  The 4004 is a little under-exposed, could account for the color variance:

The samples are the 2 closest rattle can colors I've found so far.  The one on the right is near exact:

Kilz "Casual Colors" - "Oil Rubbed Bronze Satin".  $3.50 at Wally World

It's a fine metallic, which I didn't expect to match so well, but it does!

The other, darker, color is Rustoleum "Anodized Bronze".

I'll be using the Kilz, unless I come across a better one.

Sean
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 2:37pm
the VRP 4007 i received today, shows a naturally faded black exterior cover, and totally black original color inside...low

Edited by lowenuf - 14 June 2007 at 2:51pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 12:33pm
What's the date code stamped?

I'm beginning the think only the early tag-on-cover units were painted grey/brown.

These 3 are dated July '46, Feb '47 and June '48:

The last one ('48) has radiused corners too.

And then another NOS (VRP-4005).  Outer color same as the prior VRP-4004, and the insides of mine:

So it could be that the earliest VRP-400x series are all grey-brown ?!   Would need to find more samples to be sure

Sean
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 2:21pm
to the left of the brass eyelet it says:

35 AMP
       6V
NEG GRD

to the right of the brass eyelet it says:

AUTO-LITE
VRP 4007 C-2  3P

so, if you would please, decipher these numbers...thx...low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick