Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auto-Lite Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 7:18pm
"3P" means March 1959

Number is the month, letter is the year according to a coding used by Autolite:
  • A = '46
  • B = '47
  • etc., etc.
The letters "I" & "O" were skipped to avoid confusion with 1 & 0

Sean
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 9:16pm
ty.....guess i can use it till i find a older one :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 9:28am
Mike:

It's still the correct regulator for CJ2A, certainly good for a resto.

Find and old regulator w/tag on cover, put a repro tag on it and stamp your own numbers.

Sean
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 9:00pm
thx sean :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jefisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 9:07pm
Auto-Lite VR adjustent:

A very nice job done by Larry Long on the 503...

fisch

We have met the enemy and he is us!

#53500 (aka 194738)
http://picasaweb.google.com/swampfisch
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 5:32am
My cousins 1946 cj-2a # 20315 has the gray brown type vrp-4007c2 regulator.The jeep is very original.I learned to drive on it.Wish it was mine.Cry
willys jeep
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2009 at 10:03pm
The one I just picked up is model VRP-4007-C.  The C is stamped over what looks like a B.  The serial number is 2A076765.  Max amps is 35.  The inside of the cover is the beige/grey color.
Dave
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2009 at 2:05am
Where did you get the rivets to put the tag back on the cover?
Dave
MaineJeep 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaineJeep 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2009 at 3:45pm
Is Autolite the only VR supplier for the 2A?  I have an Echlin VR-21 in mine... after market?

Steve
46 CJ2A 40,077 Rusty & Running
46 CJ2A 28,577 On Life Support
47 CJ2A Runner with Character!
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2009 at 2:03am

Ok, here is a picture of an NOS one I found in the original autolite box. It is stamped VRP-4002-C. That doesn't seem to fit the mold here as far as the numbers go. It is definitely black.

Bill
Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 9:48am

This Auto-Lite  C-4007C-2 vibrating regulator came with my '47.  The color appears to be the original beige/bronze as per what I found under the data tag and inside the cover.  I took quite a few close-up photographs of the "before" condition inside and outside of the regulator to aid with restoration but I failed to get a  before shot of the inside top surface of the cover.  It was the same color as what was under the data tag so I masked it off for future reference before spraying the cover with a Rustoleum Metalic product called, Oiled Bronze.

Joel
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 10:42pm

Does it still have the lead seal stamp in place?If so,I would NOT open it up unless their is a problem with it.Smile

willys jeep

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 2:41pm
Hello AutoLite,  
  I found no sealing device on mine but I suspect the contact points and air gaps have been serviced and adjusted before I worked on it.  Would you please explain  either in writing or photos what you are saying about "lead seal stamp"?    I would like to know more.  Thanks,
Joel
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 4:40pm
Joel:

New regulators were sealed so's you could tell at-a-glance if it had been opened.  Some rebuilders may have also re-sealed them, but most I've seen were not re-sealed.

Far left, next to the screw, see the little lead slug, fits the extra hole in one end, through both cover & frame.  Crimped so it has to be removed for dis-assembly:

autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2010 at 6:58pm
Sean is correct.I doubt that any rebuilder could put the original seal as it was from the factory.The lead seal is stamped with the AL logo on the top if you look hard enough.No matter,yours is an original VRP-4007c2 with the tag mounted on the top of the cover and I believe is the type much wanted for a proper restoration.Smile
willys jeep

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2010 at 11:52am
Sean and Autolite, 

Thanks for the tidbit of information.  I was wondering what the extra hole at either end of the regulator case was for as I disassembled the cover from the chassis.    

How about a photo of the "AL"  (Auto-Lite trademark?) that was use on the seal to identify to the customer that this is a new factory part?  Are there other voltage regulators applicable to W-O Jeeps that may have a different seal or trademark impression? 

Edited by Holy Toledo - 24 Nov. 2010 at 12:40pm
Joel
Yellow53Chief View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellow53Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 5:41pm
Hi,
   I'm a vintage Indian Motorcycle enthusiast and Indian also used Auto-Lite generators and regulators.  The color of the voltage regulator cover has much to do with the polarity of the regulator.  The beige colored covers were used on negative ground units to differentiate them from the positive ground units which had a black cover.  This is true of the regulator series that used full generator regulation.  Earlier regulators that were the two-charge external carbon resistor type or the simple cut-out type were not polarity sensitive and were all painted black.  The  VRR-4004A, B,  VRP-4007C-1, -2,  VRP-6003A, VRY-4203A, B, C, D, E, F, and G regulators were all negative ground units and all would be expected to have beige colored covers with the I.D. tag riveted on after the cover was painted.  My interest in these regulators comes from the Police Special generators that Indian used in the early 1950s.   The correct regulator for these machines is a VRR-4007A.  The regulator is negative ground and came with a beige colored cover.  Does anyone have one of these regulators for sale?  New or used?  Dead or alive?  Thanks.  The information above is correct as far as I know.  If anybody has a more official explanation, I invite it.  Sincerely, Steven Bailey baiste@sgu.edu
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 6:53pm
Steven, welcome aboard!

That's interesting info I never thought of!  They must have decided to stop "color-coding" at some point though, since later production (w/out tag-on-cover, approx. '47) were painted black, even though it was the same regulator for negative ground.

I have an NOS VRP-6003, non-tagged, w/black cover, DOM unknown though.

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>