Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auto-Lite Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellow53Chief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 8:18pm
Hi,
  That is very interesting.  I would have expected a VRP-6003 to have a beige cover.  In the 1951 Auto-Lite service parts catalog, the VRP-6003A regulator was the superseded number to the earlier VRP-4007C-2 used on 1945-51 Willys.  Many regulators in the 1951 catalog had superseded numbers for earlier units.  Something must have been going on at Auto-Lite as  some of the 1942-45 MB (1/4-4X4) built for the U.S. Government had 12 Volt auxiliary generators with regulators such as the VRH-4104B-1, E-1 that  were dual polarity (N-P) ground.  With the proliferation of voltages and polarities, Auto-Lite might have just decided to paint all covers black at some point and rely on the I.D. tag.   I know for Delco-Remy there was a similar problem and when the switch was made from 6 Volt to 12 Volt, the tag color was switched from black to red.  On some Auto-Lite, and later Prestolite, the tags went from red to green.  Thanks for the input.  For anyone wanting to know the polarity of a particular unit, I have most of the information.  For example there was a unit mentioned in a previous reply in this forum thread that had the part number VRP-4002C.  This unit is a positive ground unit and has the black cover as would be expected.  The unit was originally used on 1941-42 and 1946-47 Packard automobiles.  The VRP-4002C regulator was superseded to number VRP-6001C which was also a positive ground unit.  Sincerely, Steven Bailey baiste@sgu.edu
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2011 at 2:32am

Found another one.

Edited by Hamhog - 25 May 2018 at 4:38am
Dave
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2012 at 7:29am
Here are a couple pictures of the Auto-Lite VRP-4007-C2 from my '47 CJ-2A; not sure if original to vehicle or not. The exterior appears to have been hastily and rather poorly repainted in a gloss black. However, the interior seems to retain its original (as believed) color. No other visible markings besides a "38" and "7" on the bottom, perhaps a careful cleaning will reveal more?

I've heard mention of an Auto-Lite VRP-4004, are these negative or positive ground? Particularly a 4004-F2...

Finally, has anyone had their Voltage regulator rebuilt or know of a good place/source to have it rebuilt?
jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2014 at 5:30am
Just wanted to update this thread,took the cover off of original VR off my 48,on inside top of cover color looks the same as lower photo in CmK's post and the same color as the VR in Hamhog's photo of his,his VR look's to be the same as mine with rounded corners! I know it's late to add to post but just found this and was curious about the color also.Hope this helps.Smile
!
cj2a51-10
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2023 at 7:51pm
Here's another NOS VRP-4007C-2 with the early style cover.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123