Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Autumn Yellow...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autumn Yellow...
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:05pm
I know this topic has been beat to death, so if you’re tired of it, turn back now.  I’ve read every discussion about Autumn Yellow here at the 2A Page.  There are a couple ‘camps’…and maybe a couple different colors that are considered Autumn Yellow. 

I was not convinced one way or the other.  Old photos all seem washed out.  UV radiation has a devastating effect on all older paint finishes with reddish tints.  Here in Colorado, the UV is brutal.  Old red cars with old style paint finishes turn pink…sometimes white.    

I have worked with this company for my paint supplies.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/

They have a tool we can use to find original colors.  They have quite a large library, some skilled technicians, and have been able to utilize them to recreate original colors using modern paints.

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

The web site is a little glitchy, but I’ve figured it out.

My first experience was with Phoenician Yellow.  A 1965 Ford Mustang color.  Sight unseen, I bought some of this yellow in a Urethane single stage.  It was a perfect match when compared to a Phoenician Yellow Mustang.  The new Urethane was shinier, but the tint was dead on.

Because I really didn’t care which Autumn Yellow I end up with, I decided to throw caution to the wind.  I wanted to see what their “library” considered Autumn Yellow.  I used their auto color library tool.  I simply selected “1946 Willys Autumn Yellow”.  I bought a quart to paint my wheels.

This is what I got…

I’m not trying to convince anyone either way.  I trust this paint company.  You may not.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:22pm
I trust autocolor library, I don't trust my monitor.
A tad lighter and less red than I expected.
Needs a black pinstripe.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:39pm
Joe Friday,
I did take the photo at dusk (8:00pm) last night.  It was overcast.   I'm sure you would agree, my camera phone, the low light, computer monitors, all mess with what we see.  But it does fall more into the 'orange' camp vs the 'pale yellow' camp. 

Edit:  Now I'm curious.  I'll try an experiment tonight.  I'll set them in the same spot, use the same phone, but take the photo earlier in the evening and see if they look different.  I wonder if my phone compensates for 'low light' situations.

Edit #2:  If these end up on a Pasture Green Willys, would I pinstripe with Pasture Green...or is black acceptable too?

Edited by athawk11 - 10 May 2017 at 9:49pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:10pm
"Champion Yellow" (as in Canadian made machinery) did it for me.

Check 14605 if you want photos, I am in the "darker yellow" camp, others like a washed out look....you decide

PG pin stripe is the usual.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian - 11 May 2017 at 1:33am
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:49pm

These photos are of the Autumn Yellow wheels, both taken with the same camera phone.  Different light and distance.

This is why it’s so difficult to look at a rendering on a computer screen and definitively say ‘That is the correct Autumn Yellow’.  On my screen, these don’t look like the same finish. Not even close.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:04pm
Dull the gloss on the top one and it's what I expected.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:20pm
To my 51 year old eyes, the top ones are more orange and a great match for Harvest Tan, the bottom are too bright a Yellow.

I know its the same Jeep (if you say so)but of course it looks like its not.

The debate will go on forever, even if someone finds an original can of paint.

I based mine on colour period advertising, and the theory that everything will fade.

Some original rims that have been sitting in dark places have been found and the colour appear to me to be "richer" than the very pale yellow on some Jeeps.

One of my guess's on the whole thing was the colour scheme was used to attract obvious buyers (farmers) and the John Deere paint scheme was a good choice for a vehicle that at that stage had no market.

14605 and its Pasture Green and Autumn Yellow wheels with green pin stripe was as good as I could come up with.

Nason had a listing for PG, and the Champion Yellow was the best straight out of the can paint available here.

Colour matching was not an option with nothing original to match too..

My 1 c worth.
Adrian
Chilly Saturday morning
NZ
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply