Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balloon tires for sand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:50am
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Kinda the tire of choice along with Tru Tracs back then.

That's only because better tires weren't available.  I looked.

Really ?

Armstrong Norseman
Armstrong Tru Trac
Winston Fun n Mud
Stagger Blocks (who made those ?)

The list can go on and on......

Norsemans, maybe.  Maybe even Desert Dogs.  They weren't easy to find, though.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 4:53am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I ran Armstong 11.00-15 Hi Way Flotation tires (floats) for 10 years or more in the 70's, on and off road.

Good trick. Kinda like, "I spent a week in Nebraska one day." LOL  BW

Have you ever been to Nebraska? LOL That week spent in Nebraska one day is doable!

I know that you lived through the 70s.Big smile So did I.Ouch

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I ran Armstong 11.00-15 Hi Way Flotation tires (floats) for 10 years or more in the 70's, on and off road.

Good trick. Kinda like, "I spent a week in Nebraska one day." LOL  BW

Have you ever been to Nebraska? LOL That week spent in Nebraska one day is doable!

I know that you lived through the 70s.Big smile So did I.Ouch

When the 70s started, I didn't really believe I would live to see the 80s.Ouch But here I am!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 4:06am

Kinda the tire of choice along with Tru Tracs back then.

That's only because better tires weren't available.  I looked.

Really ?

Armstrong Norseman
Armstrong Tru Trac
Winston Fun n Mud
Stagger Blocks (who made those ?)

The list can go on and on......

Norsemans, maybe.  Maybe even Desert Dogs.  They weren't easy to find, though.

In 1972 I had a brand new Toyota Lancruiser FJ40. With 8" wheels and Gates XT Commandos. Learned to 4 wheel in that rig.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 10:11pm
I never liked those, either.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 1:41pm
   floatation tires work in spring-snowpack travel at 4-psi yep.

First off, when I was in Jr college I had traded a VW bug to a woman for a '57 Willys wagon. The wagon had a 327 Chev with powerglide and Armstrong farm implement ribbed tires. 10-15 on 10-inch wheels on front and 11-15 on 10-inch wheels on the rear. That thing would run up the freeway like a normal vehicle.
   I think the tire had a 35-mph top speed warning label.   I ran them at 75-mph down the freeway with no problems, and never took them out to the sand.
   I was 20-years old at the time, and wound up dead-centering a power pole on the way home from a barn-party one night. Those were great tires !

While we are kicking around old favorite tires, does anyone remember the Monaco which looked like the mud terrain. The Monaco tires had heavy lugs and I had bought a used set to run my my '73 power-wagon back in '74.
   Now, after those Monaco's wore out I installed a set of Armstrong Tru Trac's on the power-wagon and after having them shaved with the tire truing machine they ran down the highway fairly well with Gobs of weights on the wheels.

On my 4x4 Ford van, I have worn out 2-sets of Mickey Thompson 34-inch bias ply tires, and those are the Truest tires I have run on my larger rigs, whereas the BF Goodrich TA's have almost always required lots more weights than you would expect for a well-known brand.
   After the mickey's I installed BF ta's in 315-16 size and was disappointed with the roundness of the tires, as no comparison to how true those mickeys were.

I just took my jeep trailer to the lake behind my old '71 Winnebago motorhome full of camping gear and ran the Tru-Tracs at 9-psi on the highway for a soft ride. Hard to believe this pair of tires has not come apart yet.
30-years ago, I would buy the Armstrong Tru Tracs at the Price-Club store in Sacramento, California until the tires were discontinued.

Len
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 10:25pm
Top - Pismo Beach, Devils Slide, 1983, Armstrong Hi Way Flotation, 11.00 x 15, on 15" wide wheels
   Middle - 1977, California desert wash near Glamis, LF is flat, same tires/wheels as above.
   Bottom - 1978, So Cal  desert Jeep trip, same tires (different set) on 10" wide wheels.

Edited by flatfender47 - 01 July 2018 at 10:28pm
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 10:38pm
I don't know if I should even get into this talk. I spent many years in a tire shop and none of those tires are not around anymore.

uncamonkey
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 11:11pm
Sorry, my computer got hacked sometime in the last 24 hours so I am still trying to get it back to where I want it. It decides to send off things before I want them to go out or it goes to places I don't want it to go to. I talked to the guy from India that got a bit cranky with me, I was nice but he hung up on me after I told him that I wasn't going to send him $200.00 to fix the problem they started. I called my friend who is formally a head computer guru foe the state.
We got it figured out and it was just a 30 sec fix.
I felt that I owed him something so I said that I would head down to fix his LC. Nope, he is like me and he is going to do it himself. He is going to head out to CA to pick up his 13th motor bike. I thought I pushed the limit when I had 3.

uncamonkey
jeepcj559 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepcj559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 2:57pm
I never did much sand. but my "Desert Dog" tires sure added lots floatation for WV mud back in the 70s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12