Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bestop on a CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokesjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bestop on a CJ2A
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 12:26am
The windshield is trash on my 48 2A. I have a windshield off a 3A that I understand will fit. Will my Bestop still fit
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 12:54am
Have a Bestop on my 3a. Love it (might prefer a canvas top for authenticity). The 2A windshield is 2" higher and there is a  2" longer seat travel. Body is the same. I suspect buying the 3A Bestop should work fine. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:19am
The 3A windshield is curved and the top attaches via a channel along the front of the windshield. Completely different then a 2A.

If you are swapping windshields then the top will care less.

CHUG for almost 2 decades had a Kayline CJ-3A top on it with a 3A windshield and it worked perfectly on the 2A tub.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:49am
Most of the 2A Bestops I've ever seen put on have an add on piece that attaches to the top of the 2A windshield to make it mimic a rounded frame....an 'adapter' so to speak, with a channel.

The later ones even have a channel and a sewed piece on the top that tucks in like a later model top versus the earlier one's rope channel type arrangement.

Does your 2A windshield frame have this add on piece? Or does it have 2A type twist fasteners?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:50am
  "The 2A windshield is 2" higher and there is a  2" longer seat travel."

Are you sure you've got that the right way 'round, Steve? Wink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:56am
I have a 2A Kline on a 3A doesn’t fit quite right but it works 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:57am
Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

I suspect buying the 3A Bestop should work fine. 

I was reading it like he already HAD a Bestop on his 2A.....and was just changing windshield frames.

If BUYING a new top, yes, just put the 3A frame on and order a 3A top.

I'm thinking he already has a top though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:01pm
I'm assuming you already have a 2a Bestop.  Mine came with parts to make it work on both, but they are set up different as others have mentioned.  The roof height is different. The top door hinges are also different if you have doors.
47 CJ2A
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 1:17pm
If you go to the bestop website you can download the installation instructions that show the different windshield options.  It doesn't show the top door hinges difference though.

47 CJ2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2019 at 12:54pm
Not sure you doors would fit.

May be worth seeing if you can trade the 3A windshield for a better 2A windshield.

Don't know where you are located, but I have a usable 2A windshield I do not plan to use on my current build. I do not need a 3A windshield though.

It isn't trashed, but it is not perfect either. Has a repair on the uprights both sides which was reinforced with T shaped gussets welded onto the tubes. This is a solid repair, but could be done better cosmetically by removing the gussets and splicing the tube correctly. Could certainly be used as is, but could also be restored if you have the skill and tools. The panel under the windshield is a little wavy, but solid. I will be using the inner frame on my MB, but have a nice condition reproduction CJ inner I could part with.

Post Reply Post Reply