Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bicycles= Other Vehicles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2013 at 9:14pm
Roc,

I must have put 1/2 a million miles on that thing. I actually wore out the back tire- that's not the original. The only thing I didn't like about it was I could never get the rear brakes to lock up and put skid marks down like kids with kick brakes. But, its a three-speed so I one the top end races myself. That fat slick made fast turns a little hairy though.

The rear down tube isn't original either. That actually rusted out and I modified a Schwinn. It shouldn't have any holes in it. It should be smooth with two clamps that tighten up around the tubes.

If I come across another banana seat, I'll let you know.

Bill
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2013 at 9:29pm
That is a cool bike Bill, especially since it was your childhood bike.  I would assume it is really rare, I have never heard of or seen one.  Do you think it is the same company that makes firearms?  As for parts, there is always ebay.  Another source is a spot called ratrodbikes.com, it is a forum and don't let the name fool you, there is some neat stuff there and those guys come up with a lot of stuff.  I even ran into Fbill over there the other day. 

Doug
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2013 at 9:34pm
Thanks for the info Doug. Yes, that is the same company that made the firearms. That's why my dad bought it, he was a gun collector and thought it was neat. I understand that they were actually made by Rollfast. I think they only made them one or two years at most. I have only seen one other than mine.

Bill
Thunder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 2:28am
Bicycles. Yet another passion... I built a bike for my Lady Friend. I started with a 1951 Schwinn DX.

It was pretty rough, but it had, LOTS of potential. She wanted Teal, I wanted something with Cream. I came up with this.

I found some 24" wheels from a trashed mountain bike. Those were re-laced for this. I also added a rack made some other old bike, some stainless steel, and braces made to match the frame curve... There is no chain guard in this pic, because I was looking for an original. In the meantime, I handmade a chain guard, that she likes MUCH more. I've since added truss bars to the front forks.

I made the water slide decals to match the Maroon pin striping. The bike was finished with a "Sweetheart" sprocket and matching pedals. The bike is on display in the entry to my house, so everybody gets to see it when they come in. She has had countless offers on this bike, and she has turned down every one of them. Two offers at over $1000.00 more than it cost to build. The funny thing is, she's never even ridden it!!!
Follow my build here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/murph_topic29621.html

CJ2A/ M-38 wannabe
Spen Trailer SG474
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 12:27pm
Very nice. Would like to see the truss rod setup someday. My Roadmaster looks a lot like your before pic. It was going to be an Army clone bike but I got sidetracked by how nice a dark blue with cream one looked. No tank for me yet.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

In the early 70's as kids we used to go to the local dump and find old bikes. We'd cut the front forks off of them with a hack saw and then slide them over the forks of our sting rays, move the tire out to the end of the new forks and make "choppers".   The things you do when you only have three channels on the tv and Fess Parker as Daniel Boone only comes on once a week.

Can't even get into the dump now-a-days. Someone has a "salvage contract" there so they keep all the scavengers out.

Reading these post gave me mixed emotions.Many years ago,seemed every kid in our neighborhood did the chopper thing,we built some really unique bikes back then.Nowdays seeing a kid on a peddle bike is a real rarity,and like it was stated,picking through the junk for bike parts is not allowed any longer.I think many of the worlds problems could be solved if every family had a flat fender,and a bantam trailer full of broken bicycles...........I surely do miss the good old days

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2013 at 1:35pm
Thunder, that is a very cool bike.  I love the tank.
skota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2013 at 8:32pm
Really nice to see a threaded dedicated to bikes on here. Just pushed my first CJ2A into the garage an hour ago. Here's a couple bikes I have sharing the garage space. I happen to be a product manager for Schwinn and Mongoose bikes. Smile
1938 Schwinn model C47 Camelback. shareing space with some original Schwinn family NOS bikes.
Catalog page from 1948

And here's my latest project, if there's a bike that resembles to feeling you get driving a Jeep, it's a fat bike.
They're good for riding places you could never ride on a regular bike
Even making one for kids Wink
Cheers,
Steve

Product manager at Schwinn and Mongoose bikes
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2013 at 8:56pm
Well, my Christmas project was finishing this one.. Lot of rust, lot of hard grease, and a very frozen stem to deal with. Broke the bolt that holds the fender to the fork too. The Color Back stuff did a little for the color, which is growing on me. Fender topsides cleaned up but I am waiting for a roller before I finish straightening them. Painted the aftermarket sissy so it wasn't so gnarly... put a couple of new pieces of hardware on it, cleaned and greased everything and replaced the chain with one I had from another project...a fine Bell chain from Wally World.  Didn't fix the tear in the seat, it is aftermarket as well. Maybe some day it will  get a new white  or silver seat and a chainguard, but for now it is very representative of what these bikes looked like back in the day when they were being used and abused. I did actually take it for a ride and it rode pretty well for a 67. Tires are maypops but the rear is an original so I was gentle.

Here are some Photobucket pics...

And no comments about a guy riding a Violet girl's bike please.. EmbarrassedLOL I am just happy to have a small finishable project that is DONE!!

When I redo my blue 5 speed Ray this will look great in the pics.. (A friend's daughter took a shot for a Christmas card featuring my tandem in a field and it was beautiful ...hope she can use these someday as props too.)

Someday I will have to try out a Fat bike.. They look like fun.

Edited by F Bill - 26 Dec. 2013 at 8:59pm

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2013 at 11:52pm
I would not even THINK of makeing a remark about a Guy rideing a girls violet bike.  Nope not me.  At your age you probly need a step through  LOL
Ed
cj2a lefty
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2013 at 12:44am

You mean like this one, right?

That is on the schedule for right after I break my  neck riding this one:

Here's the next Stingray: Storage was not kind to it in NY but I can get it done.

Hugh Hedrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2014 at 5:26pm
I got this bicycle at a sale a few years ago. i ride it when its nice out for exercise. dont know how old it is but its made in the USA.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2014 at 5:27pm
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2014 at 11:29pm

A Murray Monterey? WIth that fork it can't be too old. The first bike I bought in Texas was a Murray but much older..Still it has a similar frame design and the sprocket looks the same. It used to be you could ID a Murray by the rear dropout having a pointed extension on it but IU see they no longer have that feature.

Looks like a decent rider....I could see a banana seat and a set of mild ape hangers on that ala Schwinn fastback..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 8:32am
Im guessing maybe 80's? I remember tubular forks were big then. its not too heavy and is a very smooth riding bike. Its a 26 inch and in great shape and i paid 40 bucks for it.
       my first bike when i was a kid was a 20 inch black and red murray that was similar but had chrome fenders and a rack on the back and a gas tank looking thing on it. most of the other kids had schwinn stingrays and laughed at my bike cause it looked like something from the fifties. my dad told me he got it cheap on sale from a local bicycle shop and it very well might have been a leftover 10 year old bike that they still had in stock. one thing for sure, no other kid in my neck of the woods had one like it. it was a great newspaper bike.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2014 at 9:00am
Heres a five year old me on that old murray in 1969. maybe you can tell me what it was. my dad bought it the year i was born in 1964. i was a baby with a bicycle! had to wait a few years for it.

Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 5:01am
Found Phyl's wedding present yesterday.....she's been wanting "just a bicycle....no 10speed or hand brakes")She's even been shopping at the big box stores for "just a bike"... 

I walked down in the basement of an antique store we were browsing in Saturday. A bicycle was the last thing on my mind......but the first thing I saw. Made an offer and we brought it home. Big smile

She's happy with her  Made in Chicago "just a bike"...........'nuther project. (but a small one. no restoration).....gotta make a bracket for the rack.

Edited by rocnroll - 21 Apr. 2014 at 5:07am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 1:34pm
Can't beat a Chicago Schwinn. If you want ask on the Schwinn forum or the Cabe  for a rack piece, someone has to have it in stock already...You don't often see the Breeze in yellow, nice!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>