Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23
    Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 8:55pm
Due to popular demand, and the fact I'm running trails and doing recon, I decided to announce the dates and a new attack plan. Last year we reached a point in the northern Black Hills where we've run most of the general non- permit trails. We are mainly interested in Jeep trails, not public highways. We do have to run some pavement to get to and from base camp. My home as usual is base camp.  You can look at past BHR events for that information if you are interested.

This coming June we are stepping up the difficulty rating of trails. Not all will like this, but I'm doing my best to keep the "new" to the meet.  This means all Jeeps will need a 25.00 Forest Service trail permit. 7 day = 20.00, Annual = 25.00. You can purchase these in person at any Black Hills Forest Service District Office, or on line. 

I was against this until I bought a permit and started looking at the available trails. i was pleasantly surprised. All these ATV's and side by sides have literally opened up some very old trails that used to be impassible. I had a ball. 
                                                                       continued:

Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:00pm
RECON FOTOS:

Edited by RICKG - 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:03pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:03pm
MORE RECON, OILLY'S SURE GOT IT TOUGH!!

Edited by RICKG - 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:07pm
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:08pm
To continue: The trails are signed with a number and a designation.  TR at the top of the trail marker means you need a permit. They also post this requirement with square signs.  Trails are marked for hiking, bicycles, horses, small  ATV's 52 inches or less, motorcycles, and motorized trails 62 inches or less. The 62 inch trails are the cool ones for us. They have vehicle cattle guards, rocks spaced apart, posts spaced apart, and other barriers to "enforce" this.  These are very narrow trails that range from meadows to hillside rocks of up to 18 inches.  Very windy with many trees at close quarters. It's a Jeep go cart track!!!!!!!!Clap 

You will need to do some preparation to your Jeep to go along. No side spare tires and brackets. No wide tires or axles.  No steps hanging down. Watch the line the guy in front takes. Some of the 18 inch rocks will need to be driven over with the tire. If you straddle them, you will hit.  I would also advise no top. The leaning hillside with narrow trees was a problem with my hardtop on my M38. I had pine sap to wash off when I got through.  Stacked rocks to get by, went around, etc.  I had so much fun, I can't wait to share these trails with you. It's just like 1969 again. Driving old pasture trails in the mountains, fire trails, goat trails, wow. Shocked As Chuckie from  Canada would say------" You even got some texas pinstripping on your sides"! I did. 

It's early, but we can discuss your concerns over the winter, and get ready for the best Jeep trails that you will ever experience. Very fun. Oilly

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:10pm
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:15pm
Looks like I kinda jumped the gun on the fotos..Thumbs Up
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:22pm
Notice my tires on the bridge. Those are 650-16's!!!!!!!!!!! Notice the sign that says; no mudding. Jpet must have been here!!!!LOL   Bam! Bam!  So far, I have 3 full days planned and am researching the 4th. All will be back in them there woods folks. This will be real Jeeping, not for inexperienced Jeepers. Some may laugh after doing Chinaman's Gulch, but I'm trying hard to not have damage. You will get some branch marks, and drag your hitch or springs  some. That's why you have to pick your line.  If these are not your cup of tea, you have a mint restored parade Jeep, or you haven't ever driven much on trails, you may want to ride along. I will try and explain the days events each day, and I won't candy coat some of these areas. take a look at the rocks on the above photo. i hit one of them, no damage. Must have been the rear of my leaf spring.  I will bring a chainsaw again. Some trees have blown down, or snapped off into the trails. Makes it interesting. You just don't get to see the Black Hills for real until you take these trails. The hills are small, not as high in elevation as the  Colorado Rockies, but have their own charm and P Pine smells so good!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, It Can be Done! We have miles to Jeep before we sleep. Oilly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Looks like I kinda jumped the gun on the fotos..Thumbs Up

Jump all you want Muley! Thanks much. I fix Jeeps, not computers.  I can't throw my Jeep out the window either!LOL
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2016 at 10:14pm
   That's what we're talking about Sir Oilly!!  Now your making me drool!  Keep up the good work pal!  Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Batjac65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batjac65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 12:11am
"....and P Pine smells so good!!!!!!!!!!" Don't they though?
1946 CJ2A #75375
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 12:36am
John, I will follow wherever you lead!  .... my jeep is only hindered by the inexperience of the driver ....
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

. . . and P Pine smells so good!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, It Can be Done! We have miles to Jeep before we sleep. Oilly

Oilly:

I bough to you in aromatic anticipation . . . Sign me up!  And you came up with a great slogan for the 2017 BHR: "It Can Be Done!"  This sounds like an event curated for narrow-minded jeepers.

Your sappy friend on thin tires pining away for pungent and . . .  
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Katiedid Katiedid wrote:

John, I will follow wherever you lead!  .... my jeep is only hindered by the inexperience of the driver ....

I call BS on that last part Miss Kate! Thumbs Up See ya in June my friend..

Edited by RICKG - 04 Nov. 2016 at 1:15am
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Fred Coldwell Fred Coldwell wrote:

Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

. . . and P Pine smells so good!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, It Can be Done! We have miles to Jeep before we sleep. Oilly

Oilly:

I bough to you in aromatic anticipation . . . Sign me up!  And you came up with a great slogan for the 2017 BHR: "It Can Be Done!"  This sounds like an event curated for narrow-minded jeepers.

Your sappy friend on thin tires pining away for pungent and . . .  

Everyone's friend Fred, Sappy and aromatic YES, loveable to boot. The mule packbox you donated me is undergoing a transformation-you'll see..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 1:58am
Please post on the IFFC fb page. I want.to go this time.
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 2:03am
Lori and I are looking forward to it John.

Glen
Glen
49 CJ3A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 2:37pm
Planning on it!
Terry and Ginny
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 3:35pm
 Well, since I really don't want to remove the spare tire and mount from Uncle Lynden's jeep, and in the interest of more ground clearance, etc, I guess I'll have to bring the Mack. Big smile

LOL It's your fault, Oilly: "a  CJ3B is a Bulldog LOL)  Oilly"    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2016 at 5:10pm
What? No cow caller??? I'm very sad. At least you will be here. All good. Oilly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 36>