Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 2:09pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:58pm
 Today I thought I would go back over some topics to remind/refresh all on what to be thinking about. This years run will require all to have a Forest Service Trail permit, and be skinny. Not you, the Jeep!!!!LOL. 62 inches or less for two days of ATV trails. A fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tow rope, tools, spare parts, and Lunch each day (unless we are stopping at a watering hole).  Be full of fuel and ready to depart at 9AM each day from Camp Oilly. I would not run a top on the  ATV trails. They lean and you could damage it on the pines along the trail. I also plan on Windshield down-----------very cool trail. Make sure your Jeep runs well , brakes well, and can safely operate. We will be climbing one particular hill where you must stay in low, do not turn sideways, and wait for the Jeep in front to finish the climb. I, and three other Jeeps have already done it and it's not a problem. I've driven all these trails in my M38 with full hardtop and no lockers, so relax, it won't be a terrible trail, but definately some challenge. 

I've been asked which days we will take the two ATV trails, and the answer is: when the weather looks right. One particular hillside needs to be fairly dry. If it rains just before, we won't take it. 

We need to work as a group. If someone has a problem, relay the info. on the radio so we can stop and help. If you don't have a radio, that's OK, many do and we'll work through it all. A radio is a good idea.  A cheap  Baofeng, or Cobra unit that has the  FRS radio channels is a great addition to your rig. Listening in to the usual celebrities we have is pure entertainment. Clap Studewillys comes to mind . LOL. 

We may have as many as 30 Jeeps this year, and 18 campers on site. I'm bringing in more potties, showers will need to be spread out, so try and plan those for "not at the last minute" in the AM. I have two propane gas grills at your convenience, water, shop, cover/protection if you need a place to hide. I'll have 3 power hook- ups on the shop front, two on the side. House has two, small garage has two. We may need those who can stand alone with a generator to set up over at Bob's. He also has outside water farm hydrants. We'll need to park haul rigs and empty trailers over at Bob's.  This year we installed a cement block set of steps over the split rail fence. Works well. All my chairs and picnic tables will be out and ready. I think this year will be the best year ever. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:09pm
Oilly,  maybe a dumb question, but the 62 inch girth that is needed...how far is that measured off the ground?  Hub height, fender height, windshield height???

Also, I put a small solar panel on my camper for this year to keep the battery up.  Not sure how well it will work, but hoping I can easily do without an elec. hookup this year.  Worst case...I may have to just plug in for a day while we're gone to bring the battery up.  Happy to set up out in the "back 40"!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Oilly,  maybe a dumb question, but the 62 inch girth that is needed...how far is that measured off the ground?  Hub height, fender height, windshield height???....
I wouldn't worry about it Tom.  You may start out wider than 62" but by the time you finish, you will be 62" wide or less  
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:16pm
Tom, the 62 inches is width between vertical poles. If you can fit through that, you are good. However, now lean your Jeep on a hillside. Those trees don't care about this measurement! The trail crew that made the trail didn't care either. You can stack rocks or squeeze over to the uphill side, but as you do, the Jeep tips more. Hope this clears it up.

If you need your camper battery charged up while out on the trail, I can accomodate! Just see me. Oilly
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:19pm
Got it, vertical poles...not it makes sense! 
Tom
1949 CJ3A

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it Tom.  You may start out wider than 62" but by the time you finish, you will be 62" wide or less  

I wasn't there when it happened, but I'm pretty sure that's how Grampa's Jeep came to have this interesting patch that my Grampa welded in rather than a spare tire carrier.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:17pm
Oily, I just spoke with both brothers-in-law and we all agree we are missing out on to much fun driving back to Belle Fourche every night so we plan on having two campers there if you still have room. We're both self contained and can set up out of the way where ever there is room.
I just re measured the width of my Jeep and I come up with 58" +/- with no side tire mounted.

Rick R
RWILLYS (Space R)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:06am
Sounds good Rick, come ahead. Going to be quite a evening chat session. Your measurement is correct. A CJ5 or M38A1 was 59 inches on the body with the wheels inboard. 

Stan's Grandpa laid out the trails here maybe? Big smile 
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Going to be quite a evening chat session.

Big smile 

Can we substitute a more appropriate word than chat here??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:58am
Stans grandpa had a very rare go/no go gauge assembly installed....at least the no go portion of it.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 2:45am
Well I'm packing a hacksaw for the folks who have trouble with a tape measure . Also with the number of philosophers attending I'm thinking at least a 5 gallon pail of bull$hit repellent is in order . Now what was the Iron Horses Number ?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:31am
Room is booked at the Iron Horse sticker order will be placed tomorrow!. After reading through last years threads I am a month ahead of schedule!, LOL. Now if I just had an engine in the Jeep   

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:36am
Man, how we going to keep The mosquitoes away if Lee has a fresh engine?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:23pm
Stan, Lee's only putting a new engine in so Kate can't beat him going down the backroads into John's place.  I was behind him watching the smoke drift away as he and the other "Hot-rods" took off racing for John's.  Nope.  He doesn't want to get bested by "a Girl!"
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:05pm
Last year at our Rally the shop was called "The Liars Den", and was complete with a round table for the KJRT a fridge for the drinks and a freezer for the ice! Everything you need after a long day on the trail!Thumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:21pm
Give up Chuck. You know what needs to happen!
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 6:10pm
Thumbs Up my jeep is so fast! 
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 36>