Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run 2017! June 19-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 2:31pm
Good morning John
I also am on the way to your place for BHR, I expect to arrive sometime Monday afternoon. Looking forward to Jeeping the Black Hills again, no butterfly Andie this year. I'll be camping in a shell on my truck, see you all soon.
John
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 2:33pm
I'm betting Carol will be in close proximity when you are preparing the Brats Wink
Dang wish I could be in attendance this year.  You all will be missed.  Have a great time everyone.
Cheers, bottoms up and I'm not talkin Jeeps.Beer
Happy father's day to all the Pappys.
Brett
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 2:53pm
Oilly - 

I'm incredible jealous of your guests and thankful for your generosity to host them.
I hope to make it to your place someday.

The MVPA International Convention is 45 minutes from my house this year at the old Tank Plant in Cleveland this week, so I feel compelled to stay close to home on this one.

Sorry to hear about trailer tire problems. I do have a few comments that night help someone on their trip home, but if anyone wants to discuss them we should move to a separate thread so we don't dilute this thread. 

Almost all ST radial trailer tires are not speed rated, so they are not designed or manufactured to be run above 55 mph. If you happen to be running ST225/75R16 Load Range D, the max inflation on the sidewall is 65 PSI. The Tire and Rim Association allows/recommends that if you run between 55-65 mph, that you add an additional 10 PSI, (yes, 75 PSI COLD). If you travel at 65-75 mph, they recommend keeping the extra 10 PSI, but reducing the load by 10%. So move some of those heavy spare parts to the tow vehicle. Higher speed means hotter tires, and tires don't like heat. The pavement temperature in San Angelo where I was working this week was 140 .

Almost all trailer tires experiencing rapid/instant air loss on the highway is due to overload or underinflation. (If your trailer was in storage and you found it with a flat tire do not just repair it, it was likely damaged internally from sitting there flat.)

If you are running regular P-Metric tires on a trailer, remember they are de-rated by 10% when using them on trailers, so be sure you are not overloaded. (need more inflation).

Bias Trailer tires are not designed to be run over 55...

In the long run, if you are considering new trailer tires, check out the new Goodyear Endurance. It's the only line made in America, and speed rated at 87mph. It's all Jayco and Airstream are installling these days. I've had good luck with them so far.

(the Goodyear Marathons were mostly made by Triangle in China)

Edited by Joe Friday - 18 June 2017 at 2:56pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 7:43pm
I'm here!, jpet it's been a cool mid 50's since I left home at 2:30 am, ticked over 60 after I crossed the Missouri River!

Later!, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Oilly - 

I'm incredible jealous of your guests and thankful for your generosity to host them.
I hope to make it to your place someday.

X2

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

...but if anyone wants to discuss them we should move to a separate thread so we don't dilute this thread. 

If you are running regular P-Metric tires on a trailer, remember they are de-rated by 10%

I'd be interested in another thread on this topic.

Rick

P.S. Yeah for those Texas boys! Everyone be safe and have a blast!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 11:48am
Thanks for the Tire info. Joe! We'll miss having you along as riding mechanic. 

Today is a easy shakedown run to see how the Jeeps are going to run. We'll tour Higgins Gulch, Iron Creek Lake, Tinton, Cement Ridge, Roughlock Falls and Spearfish Canyon. 

Tinton was a area rich in minerals. Tin, Tantalum, and Gold. Tinton has Potato Creek running through it. A small bearded prospector became famous for finding the largest nugget ever panned in the Black Hills on that creek. It's all claimed and private land and you do not want to trespass here. I was lucky enough as a youth to have permission with my father to pan gold there with a owners son in law. As I searched and panned down stream from them, I was confronted and hauled back to the group to check out my story. Very serious bunch they are. Good reason too. it was amazing. 

Katie brought 48 Brats, and all joined in for a fantastic meal last night. Grilling them all at once was a busy activity. I thank all who worked so hard to put it on, it was yum yum.

Stay tuned for reports. The fun begins at 9 AM. Thumbs Up Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 3:04am
Here is a little tast of day 1 78 miles of Jeeping today that took us to Cement Ridge fire lookout, Roughlock falls and a drive through Spearfish Canyon. I believe 28 Jeeps. A great day!.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 3:55am
Clap Wow! Thanks for sharing, it looks beautiful there! I hope someday I am able to attend.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 5:49am
Thx for posting, Lee. Looking forward to seeing more!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Thx for posting, Lee. Looking forward to seeing more!

You will!, unless we get kicked out of town! skinny trails tomorrow ..... Stan showed up today and JollyRoger, jpet and Hawkridge tomorrow

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 11:48am
Monday's run was very pleasing. No one had a huge problem with their Jeep. I like that. We did some mirror arm welding, topped off some gear oil, aired up tires, re-charged our radios, and we are ready. The next two days, tues./wed. look perfect to do the "skinny trails". These are two legs of the Centennial Trail that allow motorized vehicles 62 inches or less in width to travel. Wed. pm looks to have some evening or night time showers, and I want to do one leg of the ATV trail only when dry. It's all dirt. It's slanted and would be a problem if muddy. So, today the real fun that many have planned for begins. These folks have moved their spare tires to the rear, changed wheels and tires from fancy wide aluminum or chrome to prepare their Jeeps. Clap Well done my friends. I was shocked at the new look. Amazing how they look different. 600-16's and stock rims are antique. Cool looking all by themselves. The Cement Ridge Fire Lookout Forest Service employee, who sees mostly new ATV side by sides, was all smiles. She complemented us to my wife and said she was pleased to see the old Jeeps out on the trails. I get this every time I go Jeeping. Thanks to Lee for his videos. It takes effort to post them for all to see. I have extremely limited cell tower reception here and it's only getting worse. I need a hat with a dish on top. LOL Good thing the local bar in town has fiber optics and wifi. Poor Lee has to go there to post for you! LOL. I was pleased with the comments last evening. The group had their fix for the day of Jeep seat time, and I think all wanted that, including me. Today, it will hit a high tone. We are off to the Jeep go cart track. Pure , pure, fun. Thumbs Up
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 1:04pm
Really enjoyed the video - you know that most of us can't wait to see the daily activity. What a great turnout for the BHR! Keep the video's coming. Lynn and I will be there next year! I'm retiring in June 2018 or sooner so BHR and FCT are on my list.
Thanks Lee for going out of your way to post so the rest of us can enjoy watching our friends have fun in the sun!

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2017 at 1:36pm
I was just out and checked over Dads Jeep, all good!. I am pleased with the new engine. Hopefully I'll have some interesting video to post this evening. Beautiful weather, a sweatshirt felt good most of yesterday..... off to breakfast!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 5:41am
Some day 2 action!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 5:58am
Another!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 6:00am
And more!

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 11:52am
Today we will finish the "Skinny" trail. Believe it or not, they log faster than I can believe. Many of the tight spacing trees had been removed. They also closed one leg of our run to my surprise . I had to adapt the route while in route. Angry. Always something new to learn. We gained about 10 Jeeps this year and it surfaced a new problem that I was not ready for. No communication to the tail end. The ones in the rear were not hearing route advice and not keeping up. They got left. By the time I found that out, it was too late. No radio reception and no cell reception. We will have new rules today, new route maps all marked for tail gunner, and those with no radios will be up front with orders to stay with their wing man. I hate to limit some of the freedoms, but it's not fair to the rest for the few to do as they please. 

I think Tight Steer Alley was a hit. Many good complements. The sights were of the heart of the Black Hills. We all like to get up high and look around where we are. It's similar to crawling around under a blanket and poking your head out occasionally. 

The weather is cooperating so far. We were able to run the side hill switchbacks in dry condition. Wet or muddy would have stopped the fun. 

Stay tuned, more is coming, Oilly
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2017 at 1:34pm
Fantastic scenery - good to see familiar faces - ya'll have fun and remember us poor souls that are stuck in the city. I'm with ya'll in spirit.

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 36>