Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 7:03pm
Awesome video of a fun couple of days.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:00pm
Kong Awaits!!!!!!Wink

I was quite entertained when a high dollar Crawler from California stopped to admire the flatties while being repaired and welded. He and Stan got on the subject of driving the branch of the creek bed called Kong. Stan said we are going to do Kong and the California fellow said "Oh Man, That's Narley, You Won't Make It In those Flatties". Stan smugly smiled and said: "We've Been Told That Before". LOL

What these guys do is clearly above my pay grade in Jeeping difficulty, but I'm quite impressed with what they can do.  Had to see it to believe it. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2018 at 8:06pm
Here is pic from camp on Monday:

... and here id an ussie of some Qwaaazy 8s:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 4:23am
Here’s the video that I made of mostly the same stuff as Jeff’s above.
This has views from my on board GoPro along with a few alternate views orovuded by Jeff.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 1:44pm
Great videos and I wish I was there!
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 5:55pm
Just a fun tidbit.
Joe IA, Wrongway, Jeepman, and a couple of others were the first to develop and open Kong. Thumbs Up 

Yup it's still raining here. Cry
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:27am
Well, it was not the Black Hills Run we were planning on having, but we ended up having a great time! Once the official BHR was cancelled the anticipation of running Hal Johns Trail on Thursday quickly took its place as the planned excitement for the week. Lots of breakage early in the day cut our progress up trail short, but we still enjoyed seeing friends and taking a peak at Oilly’s fine collection of vehicles. Surprisingly Friday and Saturday also stayed dry south of Hill City. We took full advantage of the nice weather by getting lost in the national forest on more than one occasion, but we just kept on going until we found civilization or phone service.

Thanks John for putting this event together! Without the effort you and others put into planning and organizing the BHR we would not have made the trip up and therefore missed out on a lot of fun. Three Jeeps was a blast in the forest and I am looking forward to it next year with many more. I also want to thank Ward and Jennifer for being a part of (and putting up with) all the impromptu adventures we were able to cram into a couple of days.

Here is a short video capturing some of the fun moments we had last week. Hope to see ya all at FCT 2018. -Brian

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 4:11am
Great vid Brian. Thanks for being there and adding to the fun!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:23pm
Nice video. I'm glad you all got some time to enjoy the Hills. I had a cool set of 4 days of trails for you all, but you can't always be lucky with weather. I find you all to be a calm relaxed bunch of folks that love those rocks and getting together. Extreme Jeeping and calm collected people----------who would have known? I think we all feel a bit shorted, and some now have colds and weather related health problems to get ironed out. Frustrating. 

Looking forward to Jeeping with you all in the future! Big smile Oilly
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:18pm
To all the folks that planned and scouted out a good spot for us to camp at the BHR a big thanks. You can never plan for the weather but it was great to shake hands with some good friends even it was only for a day. We heard that Hill City got a little hail. We were able to change our camping days at Rafter J Bar Ranch RV as well. We spent the 6 additional days checking out Custer, Hill City, Keystone, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Sylvan Lake, and Wildlife Loop. I think we did all the roads in Custer and a few side roads as well. Our favorite area was Sylvan Lake. We hiked up to Harney Peak and Little Devils Tower and this has got to be our favorite spot. Absolutely beautiful and the weather held out for us most of the week. Well at least until the afternoon when showers hit again. We did Lovers Leap trail, Cathedral Spires Trail, Sunday Gulch, and a few additional side trails that I have not mentioned. I think we did about 23 miles of hiking and loved every one of them. We have decided that this was our BEST hiking adventures. We saw lots of Buffalo, the begging burros, dear, marmots to name just a few. We also ran across a couple of military convoys in Custer.

Of course we had many extended stops for people taking pictures and asking about the Jeep.

Hope to see you all again at the CFCT and we had the most awsome time in SD.

Sylvan Lake,

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 12:28pm
I put a short video together of the Thursday ride on "Hal John's Trail", most of it you've seen already!, but a few different views. Many thanks to those involved, it was a nice day spent with great people! ...... Also thank you Jpet for letting Ava hold down the right seat, she had much fun!, her first ever crawling experience!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 5:26pm
Thought we would add our "two cents worth" before the thread got any older. First off, Sue and i want to thank John and Carol for ALL the effort and planning they put in to this neat event. Mother nature may have won round one but we think we evened the score. Sue, Me, Brian, Molly an Dylan weren't scheduled to be there until Wednesday. We drove through rain most of the way there and arrived in Hill City Wednesday late afternoon. Jennifer and Ward were there and the good times started. As it turned out we had a FS road right next to our cabin that led into the woods. It became our main trail for the bulk of the trip. 
The day on Hal john's has been well documented, but it good to  meet Lee and Bob. Finally got to put some "faces to some names". We went by John's that evening and he showed all his neat toys "under the tarps". WOW! Alan joined us for dinner that night in Deadwood and then we headed the 45 miles or so back to Hill City watching the lightning over Mt Rushmore. Two more days of perfect weather were on tap, and we took full advantage of them. Sue and I always wanted to drive Needles hwy and Iron Mt road in a convertible. We did, thanks to Rojo. 
All in all it was one of our most enjoyable trips. Great weather, neat roads, Molly and Dylan got to drive quite a bit. Molly even wanted to leave Keystone early on day to drive the back roads to camp. Flatties in the hills with wonderful friends, it don't get much better!
It was great to see (and wheel) with Jeff, Stan, Lee, Ava, Bob, John, Carol, Alan, Jennifer and Ward "in the dirt". I don't know how we missed Tumbleweed. It sounds like we were all in the same places almost at the same time! Look forward to seeing all our friends in September at the FCT. 

Fuzz and Sue
Fuzz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 5:45pm
Thanks for more kind words. I think my spirit is still up there at camp. It's been left unsatisfied. Also determined to return and try again. Normally, the 3rd week in June is almost perfect Jeeping conditions. Cool nights and days decently warm with little dust. This year is a mess of weather. Super dry in Colorado, super wet in SD, and now hot early. 

I have thought about moving this meet next year to later, but it messes with other runs and other plans. So, if you still have it in you, plan on a repeat of efforts next season. I really wanted to share those trails with you. They are very enjoyable back woods trails, nearly all narrow two track trails with 4 wheel drive needed. Making a loop from 9 AM to 3PM with lunch out on the trail together is fun. The loops were planned to bring you right back to camp for a enjoyable evening of "non-fireside" chats. I've saved the two signs that huckleberry made with the name: Oilleaker City". We'll re-mount them next June. Thumbs Up
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 11:05pm
I'll be there!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:38am
As will we
Glen
49 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 1:12am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:32am
I'd love a repeat, WITHOUT the rain!! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2018 at 12:00am
I'm probably the last guy to make it home from BHR.  I just pulled in on Thurs night.  John, I had an absolutely wonderful time at my inaugural BHR.  It was very interesting and most cool just to navigate to an obscure point in the Black Hills National Forest to join the crew... heck, that part alone was worth the trip.   I was able to stick around with Stan and Jeff for a few days after most others left and it was well-worth it.  Riding with Stan is one of life's amazing experiences and I enjoyed it thoroughly - thanks Stan for keeping us from getting lost in the rain and for sharing a seat on Hal John's on Tuesday!  Thank you, Lee and Ava for sharing the quick trip up to the waterfall on Thursday.  Thank you John for the superb hosting job and for letting me camp in your shop!  I've never before had the chance to spend the night with such a sweet car collection.  I will most definitely be back for another BHR should the host be willing.  It all made for serious fun... damp at times, yes... but serious fun!
Alan
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>