Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 1:12pm
The cheap little Cobra brand radios at Walmart are push to talk and receive fairly well. If you don't do allot of transmitting, the batteries last pretty good. They are rechargeable. If you just want to listen in to announcements, they work. They will reach far enough if you have a problem that someone with a powerful radio can relay messages. 

From my experience if someone has a radio license in the group and is talking to you, the FCC lets others talk under his license. Hams do this. I know of a couple with us that are licensed. 

When down in valleys and around corners, the FM radios will not reach far. We have to relay among ourselves to talk. I'd keep this in mind. If you are on top of a ridge and talk at 8 watts, you may be heard a long ways off, so improper chit chat is a no no. The reason for a 8 watt is if someone has a emergency. You can talk fine amoung the group at lower output. We had cell phone up reception up high at our location while reconning, and if a emergency happens, we'll go to the top of a ridge and use 911. You all need to be responsible for your actions. You also do not have to have a radio. I find folks with no radio will come up to me and ask what's going on after I announce it on the radio. The cheap little radios would eliminate this. 

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 15 Jan. 2018 at 11:41pm
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 1:46pm
gmcjr said it very well.  Btech is a good US source for the radio at Baofengtech.com.  You will be getting a "real-deal" radio, mike, and Nagoya antenna from them.  Prices are slightly cheaper than Amazon, which is another US source for these radio parts.  

We use these radios because we can program in the FRS frequencies that we use on the trail, and because at 4 to 8 watts of power they will reach out several miles so we can remain in contact on the trail even when we get spread out.  Plus the quality and clarity of the signal from the Baofeng radios with a good antenna cannot be matched by the fixed antenna FRS radios.  At 8 watts we are operating above the power allowed by the FCC for the FRS frequencies without a license.  If we operated at the one watt power allowance on the trail, the leader would almost never be able to talk to the "tail end charlie".  But because we are operating in a rural to remote area, and not causing interference with others, we use the slightly higher wattage.  A few of us do have HAM licenses to be able to use even higher wattage radios, myself included.  A basic HAM license allows use to use up to 1,000 watts within the frequency range that the FRS frequencies are in.  My Jeep radio is a 25 watt unit. 

For those who do not have a HAM license, and who wish to remain strictly within the law for radio operations, I recommend going to Walmart or Cabela's or some outdoor outlet and buying the FRS radios with the fixed antenna.  Those are built to comply with FCC regulations and will not transmit above one watt.  Yet they will be able to receive all our higher wattage transmissions so you will be able to hear what is going on, including any special instructions the group leader has for us.  And those of us with a mile AND within line of sight of the FRS radio will be able to hear you transmit.  So if you have a question, or a problem, on the trail you will be able to reach out to one of us with a more powerful radio to get an answer.  

As far as programming in the FRS freqencies that we use into a Baofeng radio, it's a fairly simple process.  You can do one frequency at a time using the keypad on the radio.  You can do all the FRS/GMRS frequencies at one time using CHIRP software, which is free online.  I am happy to help anyone with programming their radio.  Usually I just load all the FRS frequencies into the radio and the owner never has to do anything more than change his frequency to match the one we're using.  Easy-peasy!!  The factory FRS radios with fixed antennas come with the FRS frequencies already loaded.  Just charge up those radios and turn them on.  Then select the right frequency and you're good to go. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 2:05pm
BTW, the frequency range we operate in for FRS frequencies is 462.5625 MHz (megahertz) to 462.7250 MHz.  Individual channel frequencies are available by googling "frs frequency list".  These frequencies are in the 70 centimeter band of frequencies.  That means the wavelength of the radio wave is approximately 70 centimeters between waves.  Just a little trivia for the next time you're sharing a beer with some Jeep friends. 

PS. Oily, HAMMS is a beer, HAM is a radio operator.  Wink

Edited by m38mike - 15 Jan. 2018 at 2:07pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 6:31pm
Well, I figured I'd better have a look at my antenna........  It doesn't claim to be a Nagoya at all. It proudly proclaims EXPERT POWER on the base. Amazon has 1497 reviews on it with 4-1/2 stars, so I guess maybe it's OK. But if the shorter NA-701 works as well or better, maybe I'll just use it. Are there any cases of fake 701's? I searched some and couldn't come up with anything.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Well, I figured I'd better have a look at my antenna........  It doesn't claim to be a Nagoya at all. It proudly proclaims EXPERT POWER on the base. Amazon has 1497 reviews on it with 4-1/2 stars, so I guess maybe it's OK. But if the shorter NA-701 works as well or better, maybe I'll just use it. Are there any cases of fake 701's? I searched some and couldn't come up with anything.  BW

From experience, I would be leery anything that wasn't sold from/through Btech.... I not saying yours won't work, some do, some don't. Just buyer be aware. For instance, I bought a magnetic base antenna with the SMA connectors from Amazon through someone else awhile back to use with the uv-5r. Plenty of good reviews and around 15 bucks. When I hooked it up to the radio, something didn't seem right. I took apart the antenna base and found the crappy hair thin coax wasn't even terminated to the antenna, it was just cut and glued inside the plastic base. Ok, I said I can fix this. I did, no change, it was the same way on the SMA connector end. Chi-Com QC, could get a helleva bargain or dud. Later I bought a Nagoya UT-72 mag base antenna for not much more money, it actually used RG58 size coax. It works well, it survived the tree limbs at last years BHR, I've used it with the UV5r up to the 50 watt mobile radio in the pickup until I was able to permantly mount an Comet antenna.

Edited by gmcjr - 15 Jan. 2018 at 10:10pm
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 11:45pm
You guys have spelled Oilly wrong, it's short for Oilleaker. Two L's Like lost leaker etc. Wink
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 12:07am
Thanks guys,
I think I will go with the 8 watt.  I currently run a heated up Cobra 29 and I can compare range.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Thanks guys,
I think I will go with the 8 watt.  I currently run a heated up Cobra 29 and I can compare range.

I have a barefoot Midland in the jeep also, on a 1/4 wave whip. Few others and Mike run CBs also. We might to play a little bit and see for personal curiosity. Last year the CB was kinda the BS frequency LOL That kept the UHF radios free for "o-ffical" convoy comms. The only problem I had was sometimes I picked up the wrong Mic Embarrassed

Edited by gmcjr - 16 Jan. 2018 at 12:53am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Bruce, your Expert Power antenna is a good one, and not targeted by companies making fakes.  The NA701 is a good antenna for the frequencies we use.  I don't know if you or I could really see the difference, but the guys who use high tech testing gear say the 701 is slightly better that the 771 in the 70cm frequency band, which are the frequencies we use on the trail. 

Are there fake 701's??  You bet there are.  Use the same product characteristics for the 701 that I listed for the 771.  Silver label, green wrapper, and check the font of the label.  Amazon carries the real Nagoya 701 antennas.  So does baofengtech.com.  I just bought a couple of the real Nagoya 701's from Amazon.  I'm happy with how they perform.  I'm going to buy a bunch more from baofengtech.com to see how they take care of me.  Many of the antennas I have in my stable of radios are fakes, so I'm replacing them to protect my radios. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:20am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

You guys have spelled Oilly wrong, it's short for Oilleaker. Two L's Like lost leaker etc. Wink

Got it! Two L's and say it with respect LOLLOL

Mike, that's good to know about expert power antennas.

Edited by gmcjr - 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:46am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 3:51am
Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

Oilllllleaker ,he's getting picky Professor!, gone English teacher on us

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

Oilllllleaker ,he's getting picky Professor!, gone English teacher on us

Lee

Cabin fever must be settin' in! Wink
Gary

51 CJ-3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 11:36am
I was just thinking, Mike may be on to something. Hamms beer talking to a Ham. Thumbs Up
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 1:01pm

I was just thinking, Mike may be on to something. Hamms beer talking to a Ham. Thumbs Up

Geeze Oilly, (I'm standing at attention as I type this!!)  It's all about HAMs drinking Hamms!! Beer
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

Geeze Oilly, (I'm standing at attention as I type this!!)  It's all about HAMs drinking Hamms!! Beer

Now I know what kind of refreshment to bring. Hamm it up some. Beer
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 8:26pm
As a guy who grew up in "The Land of Sky Blue Waters", I'm pretty sure we can do better.  Maybe Lee can hook us up with some "Old Style".  Now that must be a premium brew...it says so right on the can!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 8:49pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 11:19pm
Hamm's is an old St. Paul product!, Old Style is from Lacrosse, WI. If you guys remember and Remind me ahead of time I can bring some of each! ......... By "Ahead of time I mean June, not January smart a$$es!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>