Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Hills Run June 18-22, 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 11:22pm
I'll need to exercise quality control, send some now for testing. Hey, just trying to make sure my friends have good stuff! Star
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 12:21am
I'll be sure to brew up a batch of Mulekick, no pre-taste testing Oilly!

Edited by RICKG - 17 Jan. 2018 at 12:24am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Tiny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 2:09am
Hey everybody, this is Sarah, Tiny's daughter. Dusti and I are the ones who made the shirts and stuff for FCT and we are planning on doing them again for Black Hills and FCT. That being said, I have a feeling I won't have Internet at the black hills run so if you want to have anything made we need to know before the trip. Dusti still has a bunch of shirts left over so we will come up with a list of what we still have.
48CJ2A
Tiny
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 3:34am
Originally posted by Tiny Tiny wrote:

Hey everybody, this is Sarah, Tiny's daughter. Dusti and I are the ones who made the shirts and stuff for FCT and we are planning on doing them again for Black Hills and FCT. That being said, I have a feeling I won't have Internet at the black hills run so if you want to have anything made we need to know before the trip. Dusti still has a bunch of shirts left over so we will come up with a list of what we still have.

Please do!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 12:13pm
I'll wear my shirt with honor! Wink Nicely done. Oilly
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 10:17pm
Mike or Oilly,

Bitech tells me that the UV5RTP has been replaced by and upgraded BF-F8HP at a $63.00 price point.
Don't mind the cost if it is an upgraded model.  I probably will buy two so I can have somebody to talk to here in Cornfield Country.
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 11:00pm
Check if Mike's Chirp program supports and programs that model 1st. Wink
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Mike or Oilly,

Bitech tells me that the UV5RTP has been replaced by and upgraded BF-F8HP at a $63.00 price point.
Don't mind the cost if it is an upgraded model.  I probably will buy two so I can have somebody to talk to here in Cornfield Country.

The UV-5RTP has been around since 2015.  It's a good radio, with 2nd generation technology for processing signals.  It does a good job, and is still being made, and sold in the US for $34.  

The BF-F8HP has been around for about a year, perhaps a bit more.  It's a good radio with 3rd generation technology for processing signals.  Electronically it is a bit cleaner than the UV-5R family of radios.  It uses all the same accessories as the 5R radios ( mike, batt, antenna) for $63. 

For our uses, I doubt you could tell the difference between the models, except for the price.  If you are a serious HAM operator, you may get some use out of the features in the F8HP.  I won't tell you NOT to spend the extra money on the F8HP, but I think you will get the same radio value out of the 5RTP as you would the F8HP, and for half the money.  We simply do not use the extra features of the F8HP to make it worthwhile for most of us on Jeep tours.  Unless you are a HAM operator.

On the aftermarket antennas and mikes, there I say spend a few dollars more and get good quality because you WILL be able to see the difference in performance there.  

And yes, CHIRP will program the 5RTP and the F8HP easily.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:12pm
Just curious, but how much spare gas would be good to have for the BHR. I figure that since we are in Hill City mid week one could fill up spare jerry cans then. Darn 5 gallon plastic jugs are getting pricey these days. I only have 1 jerry can that I purchased new.

Tumbleweed

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Just curious, but how much spare gas would be good to have for the BHR. I figure that since we are in Hill City mid week one could fill up spare jerry cans then.
Darn 5 gallon plastic jugs are getting pricey these days. I only have 1 jerry can that I purchased new.

Tumbleweed

George, if you figure 5 gallons a day, you will be good. So, 10 in the Jeep plus your 5 equals 3 days. If you Google alcohol free gas, Hill City, SD. You will see they have it. John

Edited by russnj - 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:32pm
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:47pm
It appears that I will be attending with a toy hauler and pick up. I can carry 36 gal in the P/U and 40 gal
  in the hauler.   Unless I  that I can live without a grill or campfire, I will probably set up at the Ditch       Creek campground
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:53pm
Thanks John, I should be good then.

Hope you guys are staying warm..............

George

Fltfndr, Oilly and the gang will find us a nice spot for the big rigs - save the $ and camp with us in the rough. I'm not sure but I hope that charcoal is allowed in a grill. I know that open campfires are a no-no.

I always have the Coleman stove!

See you in Sept.

So I found out that dispersed camping means no charcoal either - gas or Coleman fuel only

Edited by tumbleweed - 19 Jan. 2018 at 8:07pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:49pm

Amazonia just left me a package!

I'll be able to hear and talk now! (UV-5RTP)

Edited by tumbleweed - 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:51pm
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:55pm
Charcoal is considered the same as a wood fire. If it's spilled or tipped over, the same fire danger. so, charcoal is a no no! ( I asked)

Gas grills, hot plates, coleman stoves , turkey roasters all fueled by propane or a white gas type burner are fine. Even a propane fired smoker. 

Campfires are only allowed in FS campgrounds in their approved fire pits. You also have to be in attendance of the fire, or it needs to be extinquished, dead out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by tumbleweed tumbleweed wrote:

Amazonia just left me a package!

I'll be able to hear and talk now! (UV-5RTP)

Looks like all the right stuff  Thumbs Up 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2018 at 10:16pm
Today I went to Rapid City and did some shopping with Carol. We had time so we went to exit 61 and drove the route all the way to Deerfield Lake. There were diesel pickups on the ice and ice fisherman all over. 16 .2 miles from Hill City to the turnoff on to Ditch Creek Road. By the way, we also ate at the Alpine Restaurant in Hill City. Real German food served fresh. Excellent. I had today's  Braun Schnitchel special. My mouth is watering right now. LOL  

At the lake we passed over the busy snowmobile trail and tried to drive down to the possible camp location. Never made it. I met a chained up Honda car headed back out the two track in the 6 inches of hard packed snow. I saw 4 wheeler tracks through the road ditch and tried to get out of the way. I did this and got stuck. Rocking back and forth, up and down the ditch, I finally crawled back out. Then backed up the road to where a local had plowed to his driveway. No more recon until spring unless you chain up. Maybe not then either. It would be fun with a chained up flattie with winch and a buddy. I wouldn't go solo. I don't have chains for my wrangler. More snow in the forcast, time to head for the shop again. Oilly
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Today I went to Rapid City and did some shopping with Carol. We had time so we went to exit 61 and drove the route all the way to Deerfield Lake. There were diesel pickups on the ice and ice fisherman all over. 16 .2 miles from Hill City to the turnoff on to Ditch Creek Road. By the way, we also ate at the Alpine Restaurant in Hill City. Real German food served fresh. Excellent. I had today's  Braun Schnitchel special. My mouth is watering right now. LOL 

YUM!!  I love schnitzel!!!

At the lake we passed over the busy snowmobile trail and tried to drive down to the possible camp location. Never made it. I met a chained up Honda car headed back out the two track in the 6 inches of hard packed snow. I saw 4 wheeler tracks through the road ditch and tried to get out of the way. I did this and got stuck. Rocking back and forth, up and down the ditch, I finally crawled back out. Then backed up the road to where a local had plowed to his driveway. No more recon until spring unless you chain up. Maybe not then either. It would be fun with a chained up flattie with winch and a buddy. I wouldn't go solo. I don't have chains for my wrangler. More snow in the forcast, time to head for the shop again. Oilly

This sounds like a good case for a tracked-ATV expedition!!  And I know just the guy who can make it happen!  All we need is lots of snow and a place or two to go.  Whadoyatink??
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2018 at 3:40am

So go buy a snowmobile! Chop-Chop

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 33>