Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

body side height thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: body side height thoughts?
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:43pm
I'm getting ready to finish the top of the body at the bed. Stock height would be 3 inches above the rear fender. I have the ability to change that slightly. Anyone have any reasons or ideas to go higher or lower?
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 11:46pm
I guess I would ask first, what are YOUR thoughts as to moving it from stock? I'm pretty happy with the stock measurement, never thought about changing it on mine. No benefit from moving it comes to mind right now. I think it would look peculiar if altered either way. Maybe a little like Nellie Belle? Just my penny's worth of input.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 1:00am
I think it might look a little odd with a stock tailgate. Are you planning to adjust it too?
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 2:02am
I can build tailgate to any size but I decided.to keep stock height. Could think of a reason to change it so stock has worked for 70 years. Must be fine.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 7:56pm
I dont know that I would make the sides taller but here are a few thoughts.  

If you were planning on hanging sand ladders on the side something like aluminum Marston Matts that added height would be of value to get it up higher off of the ground.

If you were going to place the spare on the side - again getting it higher off of the ground might reduce it hitting things laying next to the trail on the ground - like downed trees.  Standard issues with the side mounted tires would still persist.

I have an old Land Rover that has higher sides that can be unbolted and the rear tail gate is a two piece job that the top section can be removed.  I have never removed the sides nor the tail gate uppers section.  

Reasons not to do it:

It will always be considered as Bubba modification.  

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 8:23pm
One of the coolest and well done 'high side' modifications I've seen is this 3A restored by Kirkski at the 3A Page.  Hopefully he doesn't mind that I shared it with the 2A Page.

The entire restoration can be seen here.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 8:33pm
I went stock height but I call Bubba modified. ..redneck engineering.   I'll be honest  I'm a trained well paid professional  engineer who has deigned and worked on all sorts of very technically complicated machines. Over the years I've seen a lot of good ideas and bad but I've absolutely come to have total respect for that crazy old farmer or back woods shade tree mechanic. More often than not I look at something they did and I'm completely impressed by how simple ideas just make things work better. I think I read somewhere  that the original definition of redneck was someone who's neck is sunburnt from working hard outside all day. In mechanics maybe  it's the greasy hands and stained shirt. Whatever we call it I have complete respect for creative ideas and people.
mike@iim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike@iim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 8:36pm
HHe did a great job. OK first impression I was looking for grandpa munster sitting in the back seat but stl cool.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 9:07pm
I can't say for sure, but this appears to be set up as a Hunting/Touring Willys.  The interior finish has bench seating all the way around the cargo area.   You can probably comfortably fit 4 riders in the back.

What strikes me is how nicely it was done .  The modifier could weld...and really thought it all through.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 9:14pm
The seats are pretty basic. :)

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 4:37am
the only thing I can add is that if you want a hard or soft top in the future, it won't fit without modification...

My jeep has a 24 inch stretch, so I'm fabricating one of each.

If you want the best of both worlds, you could make the side extensions removable. Thumbs Up
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:23am
Mike: Have a couple of degrees in engineering and totally agree with your comments.  Am thinking of the field mods in WW2 - wire cutters on Jeeps, hedge roll busters on Shermans....
Hats off to talented, skilled crafts people of any neck shade.
 Post Reply Post Reply