Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Body Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt types

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt types
    Posted: 23 Dec. 2006 at 1:01pm
 For me saving the original bolts goes back 25 years when I had to have every bolt on my '44 GPW have a "F" stamp.  The MB had alot of the same bolts that the CJ2A had.
  I'm sure there are many who would not want to deal with these old rusted bolts. But I'm sure there is a very sizable group here that would like to know the correct bolts for there project.

Since every bolt has a part No. I'm not going to list any for any particuler part. I think it's more important to see the different types I have seen.

This seems to be the most common found on a CJ2A. The E  C  

There are a number of other different ones also. I'll find some others that I can post.
  What has anybody else found on theirs?
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2006 at 1:22pm
I've found that most of the body bolts are "E C", while most of the frame and chassis bolts are either "A" or "AA".  There are exceptions though.

Compiling a list is one more project I'm working on, but the list is only being updated as I use the bolts during reassembly, so it's got a long ways to go!

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2006 at 1:57pm
I noticed this last night working on my frame. On the drawbar it has both the "E C" bolts and the "A" bolt on the same component. (Drawbar)
 It also had a type I can't recall I've seen. This is the large bolts that hold the tounge to the drawbar. They have just a single  "E" one one side.

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2006 at 1:56pm
I found a couple more of the single "E" bolts on frame #145xxx. These were holding the leaf spring bumpers on, and also on the clutch linkage pivot bracket. I also found a "A" body bolt with the lock nut still attatched.
  Also found was a bolt marked with a small "C" on top of a small "TR". This was holdind the bottom of the fender to the frame.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2006 at 10:48am
Gary:

I hope you're keeping track of where you find each type?  I have 80% of my bolts marked as to where they came from, but due to circumstances, the other 20% are unsorted.

I'd like to add this info to my records, when you get all done, let me know please.

I too have some "C/TR" bolts.  And the "drilled-for-tie-wire" transfer case bolts, most are marked "1085/M", two which fasten the E-brake backing plate are simply marked "C".

Sean

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2006 at 3:23pm
Maybe we should consider a section in the parts project just for bolts? Might be an easier way to organize them, We could put in a posting header that identified which bolt we are talking about, maybe over a period of time some pattern would emerge (or maybe not Wacko), anyway, here are a few I've come across recently, Pedal pad pinch bolts "E", dualmatic hub bolts "L5" (this bolt was on 10 of the 12 bolts, I'm assuming these are the ones that came with the kit) and finally the odd one, I was cleaning the paint off the tailgate hinge bolts, they looked unmarked when I started cleaning them, when I got the paint off the first one, looked like there were some scratches on the head, didn't think much of it until number 2 showed the same scratches (hmmmm), and then number 3 the same thing, looking closer, the "scratch" was actually raised, and to me it looks like a big script "W", not nearly as thick as the normal bolt markings, doesn't show through the paint. Pretty sure these are original, bolt #4 was an obvious replacement so I didn't include it in the pic. Anybody got any thoughts?

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Jonesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2006 at 3:59pm
Any statisticians around here? Compute the odds of any given bolt being original, and in its original place on a 60 year old jeep?

This got me thinking, what is a typical life cycle for a CJ2A, if there is such a thing. Here's my take on it: owned by first by one or more farmers, then by one or more teenage boys as their first "ride", then sitting around rusting and getting cannibalized or ignored, and finally either picked away to nothing, morphed into a rock crawler or hotrod, or (hopefully) rescued by some old fart trying to recapture a bit of his/her youth. 

Am I close?

CJAlaska  
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2006 at 6:00pm
Recapture my youth? (do I hear "Rave On" in the background?) not me. LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 9:15pm
Fender horn bracket to vibration damper spring are "E" marked:

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 12:25am
Found some more unusual stuff while scrutinizing the '47:

Clutch inspection cover bolts.  Engine in s/n 148295 has "E C" marked bolts.  Spare engine #J108221 has "E" marked, and the "E" is centered!

Transmission to bellhousing bolts are "E C", but 2 are vertical & the other 2 are the usual horizontal!  (my '46 has 4 x vertical):

And some I've never seen before.  Generator support to block: "A" surrounded by 4 dashes! (crappy picture, sorry)

And "W" marked oil pump cover screws!

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 11:16am
And yet another, A/TR:

Sean
ETZFAM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETZFAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 4:50pm

Keep up the great work, but make sure safety plays an impotant role in resuing a bolt that is 60+ years old. The first thing I drove was a 1949 Willys that my Dad bought new when he got out of the army, have always had one or two or three at a time.

Forth generation apple grower in WA state.

rick
 Post Reply Post Reply