Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Questions
    Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:43pm
I have been reading the threads on brake upgrades on a 48 CJ2A.  Some of them are older.  Has anyone done a brake upgrade recently who can give me some guidance.  Will just overhauling the current set up with new master cylinder, lines, wheel cylinders shoes and drums improve my braking?  Is there a disc brake conversion that is bolt on and does not require grinding the knuckle etc. and is available as a complete kit without hunting around for old Geo parts etc.  I am pretty handy but reading about pressing out the hub from the drum concerns me.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  I would like the jeep to stop better but hesitate to take on more than I can handle.

Also does anyone know of owners in the Charleston, SC area that I can brainstorm with or go to for advice?

Thanks so much for any help.

Willys Dave
New Willys Owner
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:06pm
Here is a current discussion on 11" brake upgrades.  Lots of great info here.  I just finished the front on my '48. Gathering parts for the rear now.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 4:08pm
In my experience, a properly serviced and adjusted stock brake system works just fine on a stock CJ2A. The key phrase here is 'properly serviced and adjusted'. I can stop my stock CJ2A system from 45mph in 100' and to me that is plenty good. I don't know the current condition of your system, or how stock your jeep is, but most likely if you're having problems stopping, servicing what you have will be a huge improvement.... and is relatively inexpensive.

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

cjs cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cjs cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 5:03pm
  I recently went threw the brakes on my 48 (lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, shoes, kept original drums)  and I have to say the jeep stops pretty good considering its all drum brake.   For me the one thing hard to get used to is the leg pressure required to operate the brake pedal.  I chock it up to just being used to modern car brakes that do not require much pressure. I am going to run this way for awhile until I can put some miles on them and see if I have any concerns that would make it worth while to upgrade.  The cost was pretty inexpensive to replace especially since I figured I would have to replace the lines and master cylinder which ever direction I went anyway.
Cjs Cj
1948 CJ2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 6:14pm
Dave,

Welcome to the Cj2A page!  If you are going to use this Jeep in traffic with modern cars and people around you driving distracted, I would suggest upgrading the brakes.  I have the Geo Tracker disk brake conversion on my 1946.  It brakes like a modern car - which is what I wanted so my girls could drive it off road.   Holding  the Jeep on a hill with the stock system is difficult.   The Geo Trackers conversion on the front is a  huge improvement in my experience.  The 11" probably also work well, I have never done that conversion.

Be Safe out there.  

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 9:29pm
Dave,
I just completed the Geo Tracker conversion on my 3a, there are a couple threads on the 3a page that describe the process and provide the sources, look for my threads "Gunslinger".  It'll cost you about $300 bucks, no grinding and completely reversible if you want to go back to OE sometime.  I love them, a real nice upgrade.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 11:41pm
I have the geo discs on the front and cj5 11 inch drums on the back of my jeep.  Other than the mounting brackets for the geo calipers, everything else you can buy at an auto parts store.

Edited by 67charger - 23 Apr. 2018 at 11:44pm
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 5:06pm
I just did a front disc upgrade with a new dual master cylinder.  I got the kit from Parts dude 4x4, it bolted right on without any grinding.  The kit comes with a 1/4" spacer so you can use your factory wheels, it turns out my wheels were not stock.  They had rivets holding on the center section so I had to put on bigger spacers.  If your wheels have the center section welded on the kit would work fine.   I got the Master cylinder kit from Kaiser Willys and would have bolted right up but I had to modify it a bit due to some clearance issues from previous modifications. Finding a suitable place for the master proportioning valve was a pain but I was able to overcome it. I drive my jeep all over Kansas city with the family in it, with the addition of overdrive and higher speeds that can come with it the disc breaks were a no brainer! I would say it stops 30-40 percent better without me having to stand on them. I probably have $1200 or so wrapped up in it but it was worth it to me not to have to spend so much time tracking it stuff down.
1949 CJ3A
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:59pm
I went with the 11" drums on the front and kept the original lines and master.  (Can't use discs if you want to stick with the military style rims/tires apparently).

But my 11"ers are doing fine and I can stop reasonably well. NO, not like discs but... you just build that into the driving style.

Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:15pm
I recently did the disc brake conversion that used the 1977 year model cj7 rotor with the late 70's chevy 1/2 ton calipers and backing plates.  Like you mentioned, I'm also pretty handy in the shop but this was my first time to do a disc brake conversion.  I have to say that it was relatively easy and they stop good.  The only downside is like you mentioned with the grinding down of the plug and adding the spacers.  If you are wanting to stay traditional, you may not want to go that route.  I actually like the spacers as it allows me to use 7.50 x 16 tires without rubbing my front leaf springs.  My old jeep has sat for over 20-years and as a result I literally had to use my hot wrench to cut off the rear brake hubs on both sides.  I also removed all of the left-hand thread lug bolts and threw them over on to the neighbors place as far as I could and replaced them with right-hand threads.  Smile  If you decide to go with the above conversion, this is the link I used from YouTube and just went step by step.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_FrxpeSi0 
Wily-46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wily-46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:31pm
Please dis-regard the above link, after I posted it I realized its the wrong one.  However if you go to YouTube and search willys jeep disc brake converstion, it will take you  right to it. 
CBAUER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBAUER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 3:03am
I completely replaced my brakes, bought all the cylinders from rock auto, bought the lines and fittings to bend new lines from eBay (to long ago to remember from who)
Bought the brake liners from quarter ton parts (ebay) riveted those on to the old liners,
And the stopping is great. I also used dot 5 silicone brake fluid. And installed easy bleeders from amazon. Also rebuilt the master cylinder with kit from rock auto.
The total cost was about $200.00 or less.
If you can drink beer you can fix your brakes.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 5:36am
I have 11" brakes. All components except the drums have been replaced during my rebuild... and new shoes, wheel cylinders, dual MC, new lines, dual firewall-mounted reservoirs for the synthetic brake fluid, etc.

The Willys Jeep is a lightweight vehicle and the 11" drum brakes are more than enough to stop it quickly. Just maintain them.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:30pm
I haven't driven 9" brakes, so I can't speak to that.

I had a '75 CJ5 with 11" brakes  They worked great and were plenty strong when they were dry.  But after splashing through a puddle I had to ride the brakes for a while until they dried out, otherwise it would be pretty exciting when I actually needed to use them (no braking at all until one dried out, then pulling hard one way until another dried out, etc).  It was definitely driveable with 4 wheel drums, but a lot nicer when I converted it to front disks.

My '71 Bronco also came with drums (not sure the size, but they were pretty big).  I didn't work with them much, but I never had them adjusted well.  It tended to lock up the left front in a hard stop (and also had the wet weather excitement my CJ5 had).  I converted the Bronco to 4 wheel disks and I wish I had left the rears with drums.  No decent e.brake is the biggest downside (although a CJ2a driveline brake makes that a non-issue), but it just doesn't need them either.  I'm well on the way to my second front brake job and still a long way from my first on the rear.  Drums rear would've been fine without costing my e.brake.

Just my $0.02.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply