Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 96>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

.....What caused the driveshaft to rub your crossmember so hard? John
That's self adjusting clearance

Or the "Self Machineing" as needed feature!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 3:58pm

.....What caused the driveshaft to rub your crossmember so hard? John
That's self adjusting clearance

I've made a few mods:

Tummy tuck:

The motor is lifted 1/2" and the tranny cross member is raised 1-5/8"

.... and here  is the coverup:

Edit:

Note, None of the original sheet metal was altered.  I only cut into my own reproduction sheet metal

Edited by jpet - 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:00pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:25pm
Looks sorta like 'Frankies' power steering cover up

Now maybe take it back out, weld a bottom in it for a 'small things' compartment.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:28pm
Looks good. You may want a 1/4 inch plate fuel tank sump now! My son told me the latest rock crawler mod is to triangulate the front a rear u shackles that sit normal, but unfold as the springs drop away from the frame. You need way longer shocks though. Gives huge suspension articulation, but looks normal in the parking lot. Totally smacks of Bam Bam !Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Now maybe take it back out, weld a bottom in it for a 'small things' compartment
I'm thinking on rigging up some sort of e-brake option inside the box.

Edited by jpet - 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:30pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 4:34pm

Looks good. You may want a 1/4 inch plate fuel tank sump now! My son told me the latest rock crawler mod is to triangulate the front a rear u shackles that sit normal, but unfold as the springs drop away from the frame. You need way longer shocks though. Gives huge suspension articulation, but looks normal in the parking lot. Totally smacks of Bam Bam !Wink
Are you talking about revolver shackles?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 5:02pm
I think that is the name. One end attached to the frame that pivits, then at the other end of the triangle, the spring end. It lays up tight against the frame, but as the spring drops it rotates and drops. So revolver shackle would be appropriate. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 5:28pm

Now maybe take it back out, weld a bottom in it for a 'small things' compartment

Like a screwdriver e-brake Stern Smileor a real brake?
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 6:37pm
Personally I just use the gears and motor to hold me. I suppose a person could find a couple pf parking rocks, If you remember "The Gods Must Be Crazy".
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Like a screwdriver e-brake Stern Smileor a real brake?
.... ummmm.  yes ....

IDK  something where the door has to be open when the brake is on.  Maybe use the door as the brake handle ..... thinking about it.  In the mean time, I'll probably put some sort of false bottom in it.

I'm also in the middle of my annual, pull the tranny out and find out why it pops out of gear, leaks oil, and generally functions incorrectly.

.... once again, the shift forks are wore out:

.... but at least, the input shaft and front seal are intact this time.   Did some further inspection and the output shaft has about .040 end play.  enough end play that the output gear face has been grinding against the tail piece ... gear ... thingy...

also a damaged outer seal and gouges in adapter on the outer bearing race land surface:

... the only way this can happen is if the output shaft bearing is not being held flush against the housing so I did some math:

Bearing outside snap ring face, (towards tranny housing), to face of outer race is .218
Counter bore depth of adapter is .200
Compressed gasket is .042

.... so excluding the play in the bearing itself, the outer race is able to move .024 in and out

To alleviate this problem, I've made a selection of shims  to fine tune and make sure that the outer race is pinched between the adapter and housing.

Novak has been helpful and they are studying this for me.  Anyone who is using this adapter might double check your tolerances.... don't be like me and just put it together

Edited by jpet - 29 Nov. 2017 at 6:44pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Personally I just use the gears and motor to hold me. I suppose a person could find a couple pf parking rocks, If you remember "The Gods Must Be Crazy".
So do I, but some off-road parks require a working parking brake.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 7:29pm

So do I, but some off-road parks require a working parking brake.

Sorry for you Jpet, there are no places like that around here. I can drive for less than an hour East or West and find a place to play.
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 7:35pm
I said, "some", not "all".
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 7:58pm

I used those two methods for years, then someone from Minnesota Wink got to complaining about all of the rocks in the middle of the trails in Colorado, so I fixed my parking brake. I don't know why I waited so long, it's great. No backing into the hillside, no "The Gods Must Be Crazy" craziness, no three-feet-needed starting out on the hill. Now I wish a lot of others would do the same.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I used those two methods for years, then someone from Minnesota Wink got to complaining about all of the rocks in the middle of the trails in Colorado, so I fixed my parking brake. I don't know why I waited so long, it's great. No backing into the hillside, no "The Gods Must Be Crazy" craziness, no three-feet-needed starting out on the hill. Now I wish a lot of others would do the same.  BW

, now if I could get Fred to fix his ...... Perhaps Colorado Parking Brake is a better term for parking rocks

Lee

BTW Jpet, you may want to re-title this to the "Evolution of BamBam!
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 10:41pm
....Perhaps Colorado Parking Brake is a better term for parking rocks LOL

Clap  I like that!  BW

It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2017 at 10:56pm
I used to know a few people that carried around their own rocks to use.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 12:28am

I used to know a few people that carried around their own rocks to use.

Pretty common in Colorado

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 96>