Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 96>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 6:02am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

...... it looks like those dumbbells are homemade.....
Yes they are home made.... or work made. They have tapped holes in the ends for bolting on more weight or for fastening them to my leg press. The machine behind the springs in the picture is a homemade vertical leg press:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Cool Schwinn!

That is an old bicycle that I found hanging in my mother-in-law’s barn years ago. It is a Wasp, but I restored it in the colors of a Black Phantom.

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 10:50am
[QUOTE=Rick G]so....how does the yokel tech test compare with the online spring calculator?

You said you took out the third leaf, how many leafs did that leave?  I can’t tell from the pics.

I’m pulling 2 of the 5 out of mine hoping to gain some flex and a little droop to boot.  I think taking these leafs out will help my shackle angle, too, but sacrificing an inch or so of lift.

I did this on my '46 Chevy pickup hot rod. It fixed the ride height, and softened the ride from a pickup to more car like. What I didn't plan on was the axle now twisted the springs downward under load from the engine and changed my pinion angle and bound up my u joints. Traction bars solved this, but you won't want those----LOL. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 12:31pm
My old springs did have some axle wrap but after council with a couple members here, I decided I didn't need a ladder bar. Here is a video of me getting on it a little harder than normal:

I do have my hog's head pointed 1 degree downward so that under load, my driveshaft alignment is closer to parallel with the pinion.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 9:31pm
More spring tech:

I had to disconnect the shocks to get full articulation:

I am going to need at least 3 more inches of shock travel.

I lost some articulation when I tied the roll cage to the frame.(or at least, that's where I think I lost it) A couple weeks ago when I flexed BAM BAM out, I was at 23" of articulation.

The drivers rear tire is 1" off the ground in this pic:

.... so now it looks like BAM BAM is at 28". I don't know it that is good or not, but it ain't bad for a "mostly stock" g503.

Finally got to hear my locker clicking. I've still got some work to do. I definitely need a limit strap on the pumpkin, I'm going to need longer shocks, and these shock mounts are so bound up, I'm going to have to change that somehow, Not a lot of room to work with that :/

I'm certain, I could get a few more inches if I make the same changes to the front springs. Now I have to resist the urge to change those till after Moab as I'm running out of time.

Edited by jpet - 25 Feb. 2018 at 10:07pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 9:39pm
Great flex. 
Does your church have a flex ramp as well as a gravel pile??
For after church activity’sClap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 9:40pm
That is a very old loading dock. The gravel road seen in the first pick used to be the old railroad tracks.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 9:48pm
That explains the torched off rail spike in the first picture. 

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 11:40pm
So what's your thoughts on the shocks ?, I'm guessing longer units will increase the extended length, but also extend the compressed length, correct ?, unless you change the mounting points farther apart ?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 11:51pm
Not only will I have to extend the shock towers, I will likely have to rotate the pins 90 degrees. Not sure how I’m going to do that since the bed area of the tub is wider than the frame.   You can see that I moved my shock mounts back to compensate for moving my axle back but if I rotate my shock pins, that won’t work.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 12:50am
Jeff I am impressed! I tell you there isn`t much you can`t do once you put your mind to it! Having access to all those nice tools helps, but you have to know how to use em right!! Thank you for sharing I for one truly enjoy your adventures. See you soon buddy.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2018 at 2:55am
I know your an all-stock guy , but if you went with a shock that had the threaded stud on top it may be easier to deal with and allow motion in more than 2 directions.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 10:40pm
..... more changes:

I got another set of springs for the front. These are just like the rear springs except for the pin location. Both sets are 48" long flat eye to eye. The rear springs have the pin offset 2" from center and the front springs are offset 4" from center.

This time I did the same spring rate test except I put this skateboard under one end to make sure there was no resistance:

It takes 190 lbs to compress the spring 1".

Here is BAM BAM's droop with both wheels off the ground:

... I could get more if I had longer shackles up front. These are 2-1/2" The rears are 3-1/4". I don't know how far I want to go though. I had to grind my front yoke to keep the u-joints from binding at full droop:

... I actually took more than what is in the pic. Even with this, I will have to install a limit strap on the hog's head for safety. I'm not sure if these springs will try to unload going up and down hills.

..... anywho ....

Still sits about the same height as when I started, but these springs have an 8" arch. sitting at rest, the fronts squat 4" and the rears squat about 4-1/2".... Pretty close to neutral.

Back to the loading dock:

At full stuff, my tire is totally into the wheel wells both top and tool boxes:

No room for a shock on the outside:

If I want to utilize every bit of this articulation, I will need a 10" shock minimum, for the front and 11" minimum for the rear.

Once a guy told me that you have good flex when you can articulate the height of your tires:

.... Wadaya think Dylan?

Once I have figured out the shocks, test the suspension at Moab, make adjustemtments, e.t.c., I'll post the drawings, hanger geometry, e.t.c so that someone can duplicate this if they want to.

Edited by jpet - 03 Mar. 2018 at 10:42pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 11:31pm
Jeff, Are the spring center pins offset to the front or the rear?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2018 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Jeff, Are the spring center pins offset to the front or the rear?
To the outside
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 5:04am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

This time I did the same spring rate test except I put this skateboard under one end to make sure there was no resistance:

I was thinking you needed something like that earlier . .  using a skateboard,  great idea!!

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Once a guy told me that you have good flex when you can articulate the height of your tires:

WOW !! 

Edited by JeepFever - 04 Mar. 2018 at 5:07am
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 5:11am
Do you think Jeff rides that board?  I’d like to see him grinding some rails on that thing.  
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 11:58am
Your shocks will need Heim Joints to articulate also. LOL   When you drive it on the street, does it lean over going around corners like it's on a beach ball? My sons rock crawler feels that way. He went to forklift hydraulic steering also. When you are turning in a boulder pile all day long, you either can't with stock steering, or the power steering pump type heats up very hot and fails. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2018 at 12:48pm
Yes, it feels a little pitchy in the turn and just sitting in the driver’s seat makes the Jeep lean left a little. Per the advise of a freind, I’ve ordered some stiffer shocks. My front shock mounts will have to go up an inch and the pin rotated 90 degrees. As shown by my pic of the rear tire fully stuffed in the wheel well, there is no room for a shock on the outside. My rear shocks will have to extend up through the shock box and pins rotated 90 degrees.

Edited by jpet - 04 Mar. 2018 at 12:51pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 96>