Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 96>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Anvil Anvil wrote:

.... I run travel limiters on both sides of the rear of my SCab (not a Willys)....
That would reduce my travel from side to side which is not what I want.

How would different shocks and limit straps on each wheel help with this?

Edited by jpet - 12 June 2018 at 6:17pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Anvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:26am
It's the same, just different.

In the SCab's place, it's IRS so the center section (transaxle) is fixed in place and the straps limit the maximum droop on each axle so I don't destroy the CV joints.  The way its set up I'm limited to just less than 12" of travel.  My point being here that limit straps are super common.

But it's really about the shocks.  Metcalf is saying he doesn't experience the same problem you do with unloading.  Perhaps you have more articulation or travel, but it could also be that your shocks don't have enough rebound damping in the front and not enough compression damping in the rear to slow the rate of your suspension unloading.  If you consider old school drag racing shocks, they would have almost no rebound damping to allow the front end of the car to come up fast and load the rear.  The opposite would be better for you.  My suggestion is that you may find that by having increased rebound damping you might slow the unloading down enough to where it's not a problem for you.  There are adjustable shocks that will give you this and there are shocks that will give you position sensitive damping so that as your shock extends, it can automatically give you even more damping.  YMMV.
A good anvil does not fear the hammer.

Instagram
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 2:35am
Strapping the axle at the center is the solution to my problem.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:47am
Just wondering, what is the up/down bias?

How much uptravel from ride height in front? Just at the shock. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:53am
Just wanted to weigh in on this discussion. just finished installing two limit straps on my front end. I had double shock mounts on both sides so I measured at full droop and had 20 inches between the shock pins.  I built 20 inch limit straps for each side.  First time out will be BHR
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 4:34pm
Jeff
Could you update the first page of this with a "Build sheet" of BamBam?
Thanks
Jay

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 9:06pm
Current configuration:

4.3 Chevy TBI
SM465 transmission
Dana 20 transfercase w/Rockeater 3.6 low range
Dana 44 - 30 spline rear axle 4.56;1 gearing Detroit Locker
Dana 30 - 27 spline front axle 4.56:1 gears Eaton Elocker
Wheels, 16 x 5 Kelsey Hayes
Tires 750-16 NDTs
Front disc brakes - Jeep
Rear disc brakes - GM truck
Power steering pump chevy - gbox Ford Bronco reverse rotation
Winch - Warn M8000
Front shock - Rancho
Rear shocks Bilsten
Springs - leaf custom

...... subject to change
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 9:20pm
Well, as I said in the Rubicon thread, I lost first gear ... again    Today I replaced the shift fork .... again .... and I cut my tranny tunnel more so I can get the tranny top off without dropping the trans:

... so now I have to figure out a new tunnel top to cover up this hacking. I suppose this winter I will just buy an SM465 from Novak. I've gone about as far as I'm willing to go with the two different ones I've used.

.... also replaced the windhield glass and welded the arms back on:

This winter I want to make a new frame that is stronger, can sustain a flop, and I want it to have removable glass where I can leave it out or pop in some polycarbonate. No time at the moment

Something else I have been experimenting with is a new cut in the NDTs:

... basically mimic a Krawler tread. I'm not sure if these were better or not in South Dakota, Rubicon or Moab. If it was, it wasn't night and day. I was able to slow crawl all the way through Escalator but I credit that mostly to Stan straightening me out on the line. They do perform quite well here at home in dirt/mud. Thanks for reading.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 1:19am
Couple changes today. First, a new set of kicks on the back with the new experimental tread design:

Next I worked on the shift tower. One of the problems I had in BAM BAM’s roll was that all the oil in the tranny drained out through the cane. I received council from Bridog who gave me two suggestions.

1. Next time roll 360 degrees
2. Put a CV boot around the shift tower.

#1 seems easiest but just in case that is not possible, I added a CV boot as a backup plan:

..... still haven’t tested the boot yet but Trudy and I did get a chance to wheel Dairy Queen.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 1:29am
Dairy Queen terrain tougher than it looks?  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 1:56am
I have an M-38 shift boot on X98. It keeps rain out as well as oil in.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2018 at 3:20am
A T-18 would end all your trans issues! .....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 2:07am
More changes. This is one that I am hoping is one of my better upgrades.

Since my MB windshield is 2” shorter than a 2A, I have to use a thin seat cushion or else the top of the windshield is at eye level so I bought a gel filled cushion to see if I can stay thin but maintain comfort. This one is 17 x 15 x 1-1/4 thick.

It’s still too early to tell how comfortable it will be in the long haul but my initial opinion is that it is way more comfortable than my old cushion. Good enough that I decided to make an OD cover and try it next week in Colorado. :

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 2:28am
Whaat?  No more Menards Tree Stand cushion??  
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2018 at 3:00am
Don't you usually either fold the windshield down or break it off?  Smile  Dead
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2018 at 4:16pm
Jeff, I know the Warn O.D. was never officially adopted by the military but....

If you did put your D20 RE gears into a D18 configuration, then  you would have the O.D. option.
Just so happens that 3.6 Rockeaters are the slowest ratio transfer case gears that can accept an OD bowl gear.

With O.D. you could drop down even lower than your current 4.56 differential ratios.

Well that's all good, but only if you feel the need for even lower crawl ratios.

The best thing about  running D18 with O.D. is that you have more crawling ratio options.
The O.D. unit alone doubles the crawl ratio selections.

The example I'll use is my 100% Jeep crawler build.
It's a factory flat fender jeep with F-134.
T98-A at 6.398/1 Low gear and 3.09/1 First gear
With a Warn 25% O.D. unit providing .75% gear changes.
And yes of course it has the early Jeep standard  differential ratios of 5.375.

With a DS factory 2.46 TC gear set it has the following crawl ratios.
85/1 Low >>> 63/1 Low+O.D. >>>  41/1 First >>>  31/1 First + O.D.

I'm seriously considering cheating and going to TL 3.16 (non factory gears) in the TC.
With TL gears it would have a much better and a very usable spread of crawl ratios.
109/1 Low >>> 81/1 Low + O.D.  >>> 52/1 First >>> 39/1 First + O.D.
As you can see those would all be very usable crawl ratios.

Think about it ...and we can crunch some  SM 465 plus O.D. plus 3.6 RE and various differential ratios if you like.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2018 at 4:51am
I meant to ask last week how the new seat cushion felt.  Plumb forgot to.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 4:21pm
Say Jeff, Not sure if we talked about this or not concerning the SM 465...

It occurred to me that the poppet ball spring on the low gear shift rail may be weak or broken. 
Weak or partly broken poppet springs could provide inadequate control concerning  shift fork position.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7980818283 96>