Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 96>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

....Weak or partly broken poppet springs could provide inadequate control concerning  shift fork position.
Last time, I switch out the entire top shifter assembly. I'll try and inspect it this week and see how its doing. I have made so many changes that it is hard for me to remember which change may have caused this to happen. For 2 years, I never had this problem but I was blowing out front seals all the time. Now the seal problem is gone but I am wearing out shifter forks. I'm certain it is an assembly issue. These trannys are rock solid for everyone else and I can't find anyone on the internet machine who has the same problem(s).

I have also taken a couple of my old worn out shifter forks and brazed them on 3 sides to see if they would hold up better than the teflon. Ultimately, I just need a professional to rebuild it.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 8:04pm
Yeah I remember you stating that the complete shift tower was changed.

But I got to thinking it's certainly feasible that both towers could have a broken poppet spring.
A broken poppet spring can allow it to seemingly function.
But the poppet pressure on the shift rail would be insufficient to hold the fork position as it should.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 2:49pm
More changes.

A new set of front springs to replace the ones I broke last month:

... these are 2" shorter than the last ones so 46" OAL, pin is 20" from shackle side. The reason my other ones broke was because they had an extra hole drilled in them that was 2" from the axle foot. I know they say not to do that but I wanted to find out for myself as opposed to reading about it.... so if anybody wants to know how long a set of leaf springs will last that have an extra hole in them, you can do a week of EJS, Cliffhanger, Duke's Off-road Ranch, Hal John's, The Rubicon, Hell's Revenge, Blackbear/Imogene, Potawatomi (2X), Pritchett Canyon, .... and that's about it. After that, if you do Poughkeepsie, or Chinaman Gulch, you are on your own.

Next, convert my D20 Rockeater to D18 and go with Offset D44 rear:

in order to use the D18 shfters, some grinding is necessary to mate the TC to the SM465:

Tranny:

TC:

Now I am able to go back to a standard yoke drive shaft with softer angles:

... parallel to these changes, I also got rid of my fuel sump and went with an aluminum tank with the pump in the tank:

The tank was made by Sam at Wingard's Sales in Shipshewana, IN. Same guy that made Nick_'s tank. I added the filler neck and made the bracket for the fuel pump and lines. This tank is almost 14 gallons.

... so, this is like the 4th time I've redone the exhaust system:

... yes, the welding is bad. I am a bad welder and worse when I'm upside down but it is high and tight and I was able to put my Flowmaster 40 back in so now BAM BAM sounds like Blueberry:

... so, once again... the final edits to BAM BAM have been made. The project is complete and no further changes from here on out ... Thanks for reading.

Edited by jpet - 16 Oct. 2018 at 2:55pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 3:37pm
Does the new tank solve the fuel-in-your-pants issue when you are upside down? Not that ever would happen, but you can't be too prepared.  Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

.... The project is complete and no further changes from here on out ...

.....uh huh

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 5:53pm
YUP....and I bet next you'll say the jeep season is over too!?  Confused
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 7:17pm
Some of the best off roading I ever did was in the mud and snow. Don't give up.
uncamonkey
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 9:31pm
Amazing work Jeff! Most of us can only dream of getting this done! Thumbs Up

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Does the new tank solve the fuel-in-your-pants issue when you are upside down?...
It better. That is another reason for the conversion. No doubt you will be there when I perform the test.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 6:03am
Love the look of a stock MB!!
Jay
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Jay
... mostly stock anyway .....

Some finishing touches:

I made some changes to the tranny hump to allow me to get the tank farther away from the outside wall. This puts the filler neck off center some but still is functional:

I also had to move the hole for the TC shifters. Since this is a D18 now, I went with the original shifters. I hope they don't pop out of gear:

Everything seems to work well. I've been driving BAM BAM to work every day for a couple weeks except for yesterday when I had to get my wife and take her to work after hitting here second deer in a month:

... she is ok. The deer didn't stick around for an interview.

The TC noise is more annoying than ever but a set of molded in-ear buds solves that problem. I've ordered some Dynamat to see if I can insulate the tranny tunnel some. I'll do some off-road testing this weekend.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 3:09pm

Jay
... mostly stock anyway .....

The TC noise is more annoying than ever but a set of molded in-ear buds solves that problem. I've ordered some Dynamat to see if I can insulate the tranny tunnel some. I'll do some off-road testing this weekend.

Is the TC and in high? Mine is only bad in low.
Jay
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 3:23pm

...Is the TC and in high? Mine is only bad in low.
Hi range 2WD 50+ mph.

I am used to my old D20 config where the rear drive doesn't run through the intermediate and lower output gears. It's only annoying when the top is on.

I go through this every time I change something. I hear new noises and it takes me a while to get used to them. I knew the Dana 18 config would be noiser... Compromises ... right Bob

Edited by jpet - 24 Oct. 2018 at 3:25pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 3:28pm
... also, I know you are supposed to have .005 end play in the output shaft. What is the logical reason for that?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 3:47pm
Yes indeed... 
The larger the intermediate gear teeth the the louder it gets because the D18 gear is always turning under power.

I was thinking about your same question just the other day.
If i recall correctly the books suggest .004 to .008 bearing cap end play.
I supposed the reasoning is make sure bearing preload is not too tight.
Remember that the transfer case can heat up to expand things somewhat.
We sure don't want those output bearings running too tightly into their cups.

That miniscule amount of yoke fore/aft travel is pretty meaningless.

For the record I try to set mine at .003 or .004 or on the tight side of the service spec.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

...Remember that the transfer case can heat up to expand things somewhat. We sure don't want those output bearings running too tightly into their cups...
Something like that maybe but I'd think the case would expand before the internal parts do. I wonder what makes this application different than a differential where with the hog's head, you are supposed to have a few thousands of interference .... for the same purpose
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 11:44pm

Compromises ... right Bob

And now your offset rear differential will get hung up on all those rocks that the centered differiential went right past.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2018 at 12:58am
Quote something like that maybe but I'd think the case would expand before the internal parts do. I wonder what makes this application different than a differential where with the hog's head, you are supposed to have a few thousands of interference .... for the same purpose  
Yeah I thought about that comparison too..
I was only grasping for straws with my comment about it heating up.
I do believe the TC likely heats up a little more than the axle carrier.
Fact is that a ring would have way too much backlash and slop if the pinion moved in and out.The pattern would suffer.
That's not a big issue with the transfer case gear mesh.

The TC is set up more like a set of wheel bearings allowing more end play than a  pinion gear.
Besides if I'm not mistaken one of the intermediate bearings is thrust directly up against a snap ring .
So a tight bearing preload would be wearing down upon that snap ring.  Not good....

Bob W, your expert snide comment is on occasion likely to become a frustrating truth.
So were just hoping that the offset rear carrier tracks directly behind the front carrier.
Fingers crossed........Clear the front carrier = clear the rear carrier with a single steering maneuver. 
The scenario plays out well in the mind but the real world ever remains to be tested. Ha Ha 1

Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 96>