Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 10:47am
when you say tub number are you referencing the "ACM" number that is stamped on the drivers side toe board gusset or are you referencing the "body tag" that is mounted on the firewall? The reason I ask is if it's the ACM number then you are not going to be able to get an exact number to accurately title the vehicle. It will be an approximation. IF you have a body tag or a frame tag then you pretty much have your serial number. Your engine number puts you in the lefty range for sure. The other number you gave is close to the lefty range although it's very early. So if we knew which number you are referencing it would be helpful.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 1:56pm
"LEFTY" on eBay today. Can't do pix, maybe somebody can help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253113697751?ul_noapp=true
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 2:15pm
WOW!! That's a big number! I'm curious to see if he finds a buyer? I don't understand the 1 of 14?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 3:33pm
I didn't go back and count but there's probably more than 14 in this thread alone, dunno.

Anyway, I agree with that being somewhat wishful thinking.

Need to get a carb on mine and get it ready to sell if that's market price these days.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2017 at 3:51pm
It's good to see "buyer beware" is alive and well, lol.  ...and top speed 35 mph... what's the extra knob for?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2017 at 4:19am
Top speed 35 mph... because there's something wrong with it.  I see it's 42 Jeeps newer than Ol' Unreliable.  If he gets $25K for it, I'm selling mine for at least $15K!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
meekerfam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meekerfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2017 at 6:37am
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

when you say tub number are you referencing the "ACM" number that is stamped on the drivers side toe board gusset or are you referencing the "body tag" that is mounted on the firewall? The reason I ask is if it's the ACM number then you are not going to be able to get an exact number to accurately title the vehicle. It will be an approximation. IF you have a body tag or a frame tag then you pretty much have your serial number. Your engine number puts you in the lefty range for sure. The other number you gave is close to the lefty range although it's very early. So if we knew which number you are referencing it would be helpful.

The "tub" number is the ACM there's no tag on the firewall. front drivers side frame plate is MIA.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 2:46pm
so there you go. You can reference the CJ2a data base and see where your jeep falls in the range of jeeps listed. You can use your engine number and ACM number to compare with others on the list. Who knows you might get lucky and find yourself sandwiched in between a couple of jeeps and then "Bingo" there's your number. More than likely you'll just narrow the field.

Well I couldn't resist i had to check, and I'll be damned if the closest lefty I could find was mine! Engine # 193808
ACM# 170968
Serial # 181166

Edited by damar2yxr - 03 Sep. 2017 at 3:11pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2017 at 6:42pm
auction ended on 8/31.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2017 at 1:10am
My lefty has the block shaved off .010 is where the serial number should be. 

AMC # 168736
Serial # 194439

Not much help, it's a larger difference than what is a thought to be normal. 

Mike

MarkB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

http://www.jeepcollection.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/farm_jeep22.jpg
Just be careful when driving a Lefty with the drivers side mounted spare.  If you have a 1948 short arm on your drivers side view mirror all you can see is the spare tire.
So, that is why my lefty has that strange long mirror arm, was that just on Lefty's? I had no idea...learm something new everyday.

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 3:12am
Mark,

We will need the experts - but the link below takes you to a photo from 1948 Lefty plowing a filed with 1948 plates.  You will see it has a short arm and no tire mounted.  I can only speculated that they made the change in moving the spare to the drivers side and for at least some amount of time continued to uses the short mirror.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 09 Sep. 2017 at 3:15am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
48 CJ2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48 CJ2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 3:11pm
Cool Photo.  NEat that he uses the spare on the plow....   Handy stuff.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 3:38pm
That is a nice picture and looks like a Willys test of the jeep. The production jeep might have had the longer mirror arm.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2017 at 6:36pm
I have the long (14" or so) mirror arm on my '48 "righty" and like it. I leave it almost vertical (it needs to be there anyway to load in the trailer) and it lets me see over the body side instead of along it, so I can see what's actually behind me.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 5:36pm

I figured I would post this here instead of the classifieds…

https://salem.craigslist.org/cto/d/48-willys-jeep/6303491533.html

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:17am
Been following this website for a while, great information for complete noobs like me. My lefty is serial#180071, engine#192116. Can't find any ACM numbers, but I'm still scraping through the rust and old welds. Not road worthy yet, but still working on it. Would love to post a picture, but I don't think I'm smart enough to attach one. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2017 at 1:50am
Welcome to the page, 48walker!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>